RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #1

Where can I hook up modem

On 2020 Anthem 44W i cant find where line from campground cable comes out of audio area to connect modem so I can have upgraded internet from what campground gives for free. Will be here 6 months and want secure internet. Still getting adjusted to all the new electronics in my beautiful new unit..

Onvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onvac View Post
On 2020 Anthem 44W i cant find where line from campground cable comes out of audio area to connect modem so I can have upgraded internet from what campground gives for free. Will be here 6 months and want secure internet. Still getting adjusted to all the new electronics in my beautiful new unit..
Going to need some clarification on this to help. Did you buy your own internet service through a cable company and have it installed at this campground? If not I think you are asking for something that is not possible. You cant simply add a modem (Not sure where you got the modem) to cable and get internet. Just doesnt work that way. I havent seen any campgrounds that have active cat 5 jacks for internet but if this is the case where you are staying you would need some added hardware and someone tech saving to hook that up to your rig. There is a "router" in the PS bay towards the back on the ceiling. Be careful . you can mess up all kinds of things if you dont know when you are doing with this.

Wish I could be of more help but I dont think you can do what you are trying to do.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The OEM cable connections in your RV are for TV only. They are not configured for cable internet services. Some campgrounds will let you order your own cable internet for your site, but you would wire that into your coach separately of the cable TV connections your MH offers.

Cable TV coax in your RV has splices and splitters to interface with OTA TV and to distribute signal to multiple TVs. That's not good for cable internet service.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
No doubt there is a more elegant approach, but I took a very simple approach. I retract the driver’s side, front slide out back in about 2” and pass a coaxial cable in the slide out opening. Then just extend the slide out back to the out position. No impact to the cable or slide out, or seal. My modem sits on the floor between the drivers seat and the wall. There is a 120VAC outlet at the end of the side console so no extension cord.

Again, there are some more elegant solutions, but sometimes, simple works.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:56 AM   #5

Last year i used splitter and sent 1 signal to box that controls the 4 TVís and other line to modem for WiFi and worked well. Tom your idea seems simple fix but would rather find hook up inside so it looks nice.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:29 AM   #6

Getting prints from Entegra to see if i can figure this out. Very difficult to maneuver around all the wires and electronics without messing something else up. Will post whenever i figure this out.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The easiest solution is to get a wireless router and put both it and the modem in one of your cargo bays. Coax is probably shielded well enough that you can run it into your electrical bay alongside your 50A umbilical, and on my coach at least there's two 110V outlets in there. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a good strong signal everywhere inside your MH.

You can also try using your satellite TV connections. Those have basically the same specs as cable Internet, so as long as you can bypass things like the Winegard control box it should work. But it will probably require running a cable onto your roof. It's up to you whether that's preferable to running a cable through a slide.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:30 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
The easiest solution is to get a wireless router and put both it and the modem in one of your cargo bays. Coax is probably shielded well enough that you can run it into your electrical bay alongside your 50A umbilical, and on my coach at least there's two 110V outlets in there. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a good strong signal everywhere inside your MH.
Bingo! Simple, cheap and works well.