Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Tin Man,

Another consideration if you will be traveling down from Canada when it is -30 ( as you mentioned) you may not want propane as it can be tough to keep it flowing as a vapor when it is that cold for the high demands of the heating system.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Tin Man,

Another consideration if you will be traveling down from Canada when it is -30 ( as you mentioned) you may not want propane as it can be tough to keep it flowing as a vapor when it is that cold for the high demands of the heating system.
Very good point and diesel will also gel in those temps with out a bunch of additives and then it may still gel in small injectors.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
We looked at both Newmar and Entegra in the same floor plans mentioned. We ordered a 15 Anthem 42 DEQ. It went down to best dealer support in the area we would be the most (desert southwest). Drove the Entegra on a very windy day and was very impressed with how the Spartan chassis handled the cross wind at 65-75 mph.
We didn't want propane in the coach as its another fluid to keep full. So, we were looking for an all-electric coach. The DEQ floor plan seemed to fit us the most.
I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. It was the dealer, factory customer service, and reading the forums that helped us make a decision.

Joe
Whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to jacko1
I had a 2011 Dip and it was a pretty good coach. My DW and I visited both the Newmar and Entegra and both were very good. At Hershey last year I traded for an Entegra Cornerstone which we expect to pick up in a couple of weeks. In comparing the Newmar and Entegra brands on this forum and other blog site is that often they are compared by the position in the manufacturers line however the value or price ranges are offset. An example of this is that a lot of the blogs compare the Cornerstone to the King Air because they are both companies flagships and to be fair the results seem pretty equal on folks likes and dislikes or should say preferences. What is interesting is that the Cornerstone is priced around what one may expect to pay for an Essex (Newmar) which may give you a clue on how to value. When we went to Hershey last year our intent was to buy an Essex or a Cornerstone, sadly Newmar was not showing any models like what we were looking and am glad and looking forward to a few weeks in the sun to pick up our new coach
jacko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #47

Thanks for the suggestions and input everyone. I agree that the propane 375 Aqua Hot supplied in the Aspire is undersized for anything but summer operation, but it is all that is available. If we must travel when temperatures are at -30 we may have to wrap the propane tank with insulation and use electric heat strips wrapped around it powered by the Onan generator to keep the propane gaseous and able to flow to the Aqua Hot. Reading posts in other threads and RVCruzers review of the 375 Aqua Hot concern me greatly that we will have to wear parka's and mittens inside the coach during fall mountain trips and winter trips toward the "sunbelt". When Florida and Arizona posters say that the unit won't keep the coach warm, never mind provide warm shower water, it makes me wonder if another brand machine with no in floor heat but a 450 diesel Aqua Hot (or Oasis) might be a better brand for us to buy?

Any experience with Newmar or other mfrs. heat in very cold temp. use that indicates that would be better?
TinMan Trvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
TinMan, it is not just having heat that causes problem traveling in those weather conditions. Any make of MH is going to have problems. Here is a list of problems that happened to the buyer of my MH heading for Canada in -30 below on Dec 18th. Most have seen this post, but it's worth sharing for someone that is going to travel in those conditions. I truly think the owner is going to have additional problem this spring when things start thawing out. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/what...ng-187288.html

I also heard from the buyer that the plastic gears in the step motor shattered like glass and it was a brand new motor.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
IFS Aspires

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The Aspire does not, but the Anthem does, plus all electric was why we ordered it. Having owned both a straight axle and an IFS, I prefer the IFS and something I would pay the difference for.. Others say the Aspire drives great, but I have not driven one, so I cannot comment. I don't know about the new 40 footer that was just announced at the Tampa Show.
Not to go Cliff Claven on you Chuck but some Aspires were built in 2013 on Anthem chassis and were sold with IFS. I don't recall the numbers but it seems like less than 10%.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Not to go Cliff Claven on you Chuck but some Aspires were built in 2013 on Anthem chassis and were sold with IFS. I don't recall the numbers but it seems like less than 10%.
I like that...Cliff Claven
I did find that there were some Aspires built with IFS from this forum, but at the time we ordered our Anthem that was never mentioned to us. Were any of the 2014 available with IFS? If so, the two dealers I sat down with kept that very quite.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think they were avail in 2014. I seem to recall it was a "one of" thing where Entegra had 40-50 Anthem Chassis. Maybe at that time the Anthems weren 't selling as well or Spartan made them a really good deal. As I recall they were about a $10k option.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #52

Entegra Owners Club
Not sure of the number, but it occurred only in the 2013 model year, and fairly early as I recall. The numbers weren't that large, but it was because, my understanding, an excess of chassis at the end of the 2012 model year. What many may not know, is chassis are built and delivered well before coaches. If I'm not mistaken, I ride a 2012 MM chassis although I am registered as a 2013, as are many others. MM has been around for a while.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
I've had our Aspire in temps down to the low 20's without any problem with heat or hot water....and that means long, HOT showers in my world. BUT....if I was going to be traveling in -30 degrees or boondocking in below freezing weather, I would definitely stretch to get the Anthem. The propane AquaHot can blow through a lot of propane keeping things warm. We've always been able to find a company willing to deliver propane to the coach in a park, but I don't know how easy that would be if you were parked away from a park. Having 150 gallons of diesel would seem to be a little more comfortable when looking at staying warm in that type of cold. And I wouldn't even consider a coach without heated floors. Can't really comment on the Newmar since we looked at both and purchased the Entegra. You'll have to make your choice based on your life style. Good luck!
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Heck...there was a time when we slept on cots or the ground when we were "camping".

Those were indeed good times
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:13 AM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
We looked (and toured) Newmar and Entegra and found their building techniques similar. Being long term fans of Travel Supreme we fell in love with the similar styling of Entegra. We atarted in an Aspire 42 DEQ and quickly realized we needed the larger shower and surrounding area of the Anthem 44DLQ to help us with our handicapped son. Both are great coaches and I believe Newmar products are equal.
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
DW and I spent 4 days in Middlebury getting some minor warranty work done in 3rd week of January. Temp was 7 below, snowy and quite windy. No problem keeping comfy in the Aspire. Had to use their showers and toilets as we were still winterized. Propane usage wasn't too bad considering the weather. Used about a half tank in 7 days of very cold weather -even spent a night at a Flying J - it was inside for about 7 hours for 2 days while Entegra did their work. They did a great job and adjusted the ride height and it drives really great. We missed the mess in Atlanta by about a week - it is happening again as I type. John
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote