Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Who owns an Aspire 42DEQ or 44B

We are looking at going to a tag axel coach. The short list so far in no particular order is:

Entegra Aspire 42DEQ

Entegra Aspire 44B

Newmar Ventana 4036

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (price may put this one out)

Thor Tuscany 42WX

Thor Tuscany 45LT

Not looking to start a "brand war" but would like to know how others view these as far as "pecking order".
I think the Ventana has a 400HP and the rest a 450HP. I believe all have a residential refrigerator, king bed, and a washer/dryer. I think they all have outside TV and around 50"+ main TV inside. We lean towards a bath and a half but could be ok without.

If you were going to spend 6-8 months a year traveling. And keep the coach for 10-12 years. And pick from this group only...which one would it be? Why would you trust your choice?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Batten54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We looked for three years....bought the Aspire. If we were doing it again, we would get either the 44B or 44U, they didn't have those models when we purchased. But we would buy the Aspire again. You won't beat their customer service and we liked their quality and options (or lack of - almost everything was standard) over the others. We have another year or so, but then plan on spending about six months a year in ours. The Aspire was a good fit for us but you need to buy for your comfort and life style.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We opted for all electric Anthem, but the DEQ is the model for us, versus the 44B, only because we full time, didn't need a bath and a half, and wanted more room in what we call the salon.

Of your list, the Entegras and the Newmars construction is very similar. Newmarites will tout Comfort drive (a fair consideration), but you'll pay more for it. Can't go wrong with either Newmar or Entegra. I have a preference for the Spartan chassis, but that's opinion, and I haven't seen a quantitative comparison.

JMHO, I'm not a Thor fan.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Hi Gary and welcome. I can't say anything about model floor-plans as everyone has a floor plan that works best for them. My DW loves big closets and "her" bathroom so an RBQ is what I had to buy. Plus my inside storage hanger, I am pushing to get 43 foot in there.

As for "pecking order" I think most of us here that own or have Entegra's on order have made the choice for "pecking order". My decision for the Entegra was quality, ride and two year warranty. Not to put Thor down, but not even in the same class of build quality.

As for keeping 10-12 years... I just sold my early version of the Entegra, a Travel Supreme that was 11 years old and it was still in "as new condition" and the reason I went back with the "new" manufacture. After 11 years and 66,000 miles on the road there were no squeaks or rattles anywhere. The difference between screws and staples construction. Everything still worked perfect and that is where the build quality comes in. Small things but expensive to replace like window coverings were still in perfect condition. We toured the Entegra factory and their build quality was even stepped up a notch from the TS, that sold us!
Enjoy the new purchase.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Comparing

Gary

I don't want to anger all the folks who live on the forum to zing people for their opinions but I can share a couple my DW and I have made looking for the fit for us. We have a 42ft Aspire DEQ and that floorplan fits our need the most. We looked at many brands and layouts and we wanted some things our previous 40ft Monaco had we wanted to improve on. We wanted; tag axle, a TV in the front not over the driver or midships, tile floor, a layout we could retire into and feel like an apartment, for me more HP. We shopped and drove Newmar DS, Itasca/Winny Tours, Entegras, Monaco Diplomat. We looked at but didn't seriously consider Tiffins or Thors.

I liked the Dutchstar 4018 because it was shorter and peppy with the 450 Cummins but my DW and I never saw an interior decor we cared for. My impression is they are improving that recently and departing their spartan approach to decor. Don't get me wrong, we are not glitzy or bling people, but the decor Newmar did on all but their Essex and Mountain Airs seemed very basic camper styling. We also didn't think the 4018 had as many closets and storage as our old 40ft Monaco. We drove but didn't buy the Monaco 42 ft Diplomat because I feared them becoming a unsupportable engine/RV legacy with the Monaco history the past5 yrs. We drove and shopped the Winny Tour but felt it was somewhat less "finish" than the Entegras and it was not as well insulated as the Entegras.

We bought the Entegra RV because I liked the engineering (Mech Engineer) to the Spartan chassis, the side radiator, the LED lighting, the multiplex light controls, the window shades, the exterior paint, the interior decor. My wife liked the decor, the wide entrance steps, the kitchen layout. We both were impressed with the Entegra company, the quality, the family approach they have to business and the loyalty of he owners.

IMHO, not trying to slight any other brand
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Not to pile on, but I agree that Thor isn't in the same class as the other two.

That said there are many similarities between the builds of the Newmar and the Entegra. 2 year warranty and value for price pushed us to the Entegra. IFS and tag axle are so good that I am not sure I'd pay for Comfort Drive.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Very good comments!!! Thank you very much!
That's the kind of answers I was looking for...thoughtful, constructive, with actual experience. It's getting tough lately to get a straight answer and not a lot of "BS".

Did any of you come from a single axel similar size and weight to the tag axel Entegra? One of the big issues I have is very bad handling in the wind. I'm not talking 40-50mph...but just a slight 10+ will blow me all over.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batten54 View Post
That's the kind of answers I was looking for...thoughtful, constructive, with actual experience. It's getting tough lately to get a straight answer and not a lot of "BS".

Did any of you come from a single axel similar size and weight to the tag axel Entegra? One of the big issues I have is very bad handling in the wind. I'm not talking 40-50mph...but just a slight 10+ will blow me all over.
We had a Phaeton 40 without a tag. I can't say if it's the tag or the IFS, but it's night and day.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #9

Quote:

Tell me about it! Our first RV was a Georgetown 37' with a Ford V-10 and only had it for 4 months because how badly it performed in the wind and especially going down the mountains. It was very hard to keep the Georgetown under control as the RPMs were over 5,000 to keep it under 55mph down the mountains - scary. Now a happy camper with the Anthem.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

I had 35' Tiffin and like you, the wind was not my best friend unless it was a tailwind. If winds were forecast for 20mph, we stayed put. The move to a 45' tag is night and day. Check the weather-forecast is for 25mph winds and we are on our way. The tag gives you so much more stability with a two finger hold on the steering wheel.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I came from a 38 ft non-tag Travel Supreme. I had no problems in the wind, but again build quality. A Spartan chassis with IFS makes all the differnace in the world and why I am staying with what has worked for me. I drove a Newmar with CD, it's nice, but not worth the extra money to me. I couldn't tell that much difference. Just me, others love the CD and wouldn't have anything but. I don't drive non-stop anymore, 300 miles is about it. I am not a bit tired at the end of the day where I think I need CD steering.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedenesha View Post
Tell me about it! Our first RV was a Georgetown 37' with a Ford V-10 and only had it for 4 months because how badly it performed in the wind and especially going down the mountains. It was very hard to keep the Georgetown under control as the RPMs were over 5,000 to keep it under 55mph down the mountains - scary. Now a happy camper with the Anthem.
I know what you're talking about! Our last RV was a Georgetown 315DS. That's why it sat more than it was driven...felt like it was going to roll over on it's side most of the time! Took that puppy over Donner Pass once....JUST ONCE!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I came from a 38 ft non-tag Travel Supreme. I had no problems in the wind, but again build quality. A Spartan chassis with IFS makes all the differnace in the world and why I am staying with what has worked for me. I drove a Newmar with CD, it's nice, but not worth the extra money to me. I couldn't tell that much difference. Just me, others love the CD and wouldn't have anything but. I don't drive non-stop anymore, 300 miles is about it. I am not a bit tired at the end of the day where I think I need CD steering.
Are all the Entegra on Spartan chassis with IFS?
Being retired now (just last year) we also just do 300 +/- days. We don't HAVE to do 500-600 + days to get back to work. Good thing...on I40 west it sometimes takes all day to do 300 miles!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Are all the Entegra on Spartan chassis with IFS?
Being retired now (just last year) we also just do 300 +/- days. We don't HAVE to do 500-600 + days to get back to work. Good thing...on I40 west it sometimes takes all day to do 300 miles!
The Aspire does not, but the Anthem does, plus all electric was why we ordered it. Having owned both a straight axle and an IFS, I prefer the IFS and something I would pay the difference for.. Others say the Aspire drives great, but I have not driven one, so I cannot comment. I don't know about the new 40 footer that was just announced at the Tampa Show.