Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #1

Why would airbags not inflate?

When I moved from west Houston to east, I left the park after being there for about 5 weeks. Soon while on a city street headed for the Beltway 8 I noticed the ride was awful, like a pogo stick bouncing up and down. I figured the airbags were not fully inflated and thought once I get to 30-35 mph they will. Well, I was up to 40 mph and no luck. All I could think of was to pull over on a very narrow shoulder and cycle the ignition a couple of times. No luck. I decided I had no choice but to get on the beltway and even at 40mph the ride was pretty miserable, so I dropped to 35 and turned my flashers on. I had to go about 30 miles so out of desperatioon I turned the Equalizer panel on and pressed retract switch and then turned it back off and presto!; my airbags inflated. When I got to the new park the jacks worked perfect. Any ideas? I will always check my airbags from now on before pulling off.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
By the sounds of your post, your air dump solenoid valves were open and just blowing air as the compressor was trying to fill the tanks and bags, once you pressed the retrack button, they shut and the bags filled would be my guess. Did you do a walk around before pulling out? These solenoid valves are the only thing that I can think of that would not allow your bags to fill........
A walk-around before pulling out is a wonderful thing to do.......everytime!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
This has been mentioned before. It is recommended that you activate the jacks retract switch before driving for the first time each day, even if the jacks are up, to make sure the dump valve is closed.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
This has been mentioned before. It is recommended that you activate the jacks retract switch before driving for the first time each day, even if the jacks are up, to make sure the dump valve is closed.
Fully noted, I believe that is what happened, too much of a hurry to get on the road. Had to learn the hard way.
rogelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
This will help, it is the check sheet for the proper order for an Entegra so the air bags inflate. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/arri...ml#post1823034

There was a hard copy in my Entegra owners manual cases.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You can skip times 6 & 7, the engine doesn't have to be off to retract slides. It does have to be off to extend slides or move cockpit night shades, up or down.

Airing up while still on jacks aids bags filling, raising jacks while engine is running ensures the valve is closed and gets the last bit of air. I listen for the relief valve to "huff" regardless of gage reading.

A big thing is not moving slides in or out with jacks on the ground, contrary to a lot of other motorhomes.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
You can skip times 6 & 7, the engine doesn't have to be off to retract slides. It does have to be off to extend slides or move cockpit night shades, up or down.

Airing up while still on jacks aids bags filling, raising jacks while engine is running ensures the valve is closed and gets the last bit of air. I listen for the relief valve to "huff" regardless of gage reading.

A big thing is not moving slides in or out with jacks on the ground, contrary to a lot of other motorhomes.
X2 Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #8

According to PJ at Entegra you must allow for full air pressure in tanks, the valve is enabled by pressure for only 30 seconds a x psi to inflate properly.Without full system pressure the solenoid will not work properly until recycled. My cornerstone rode badly when I shortcut the time.
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #9

I won't move until I hear the "huff"
Then I do my final walk and during that make sure my hand will fit between the wheel well and my front tires ----those 315 Michelins are $860.00 each
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #10

He must have a 2014 with the larger wheel well cutout, otherwise the tires would have probably hit when turning. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
DO THE WALKAROUND... the "huff" only indicates that the compressor has fully charged your air tanks and brake system. The suspension may still be flat (not aired up) as indicated by rogelling in his post.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:33 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a friend that had the same problem with his after the jumpy ride he also found that it caused some leaks around his front cab. Please check out your just to be sure
Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Also 100% firm believer on the walk abound. On my previous coach the air dump valve would not close in cold weather, it was always caught on the walk around, recycling the jacks would close the valve. The MH would look (125 PSI) and sound ready to go(air dryer popped off), but the MH would still be sitting on the front tires.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I guess I'm a little anal retentive, but I do four during departure prep...first, before I start up, I check the wheels (although if they aren't straight, I'd have already had a problem), one when the jacks are retracted (checking the jacks and the height above the top of the front tires. Then after the slides are in, I check to make sure they and the antennas are in, and finally I do a final after I pull out of the spot, looking for any leaking fluids spots.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote