Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Wi-Fi

What is the best way to add Wi-Fi to my 2016 anthem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
AT&T Mobley. Everything that is involved is in this post. Onstar announced $20. a month unlimited data

I use the 110v adapter plugging into the front overhead cabinet. I have been connected for two days while traveling at 70 MPH.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansnavely View Post
What is the best way to add Wi-Fi to my 2016 anthem?

We just went with Verizon unlimited wireless and have a smart hub. That way everyone has wifi and we can have our Arlo cameras inside and out of the coach.
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #4

The question was for WiFi, not wireless. I use a Pepwave Surf SOHO WiFi as WAN router which connects to park WiFi and then retransmits to all my devices. Only counts as one connection to the park WiFi if they are counting.

I also connect my Verizon wireless modem to the SOHO so I have one connection point for all my devices.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #5

We use Verizon for all wireless. Used to have PDQ connect to boost wireless in park, but now that we have Verizon unlimited we use all wireless connections using Verizon wireless on phones and Verizon smart hub for cameras.
Fattman-Litlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #6

I put together one of David Bott's units. The basic idea is to be able to reel in park WiFi. The bonus is it can also act as a "dumb" WiFi personal network in the absence of a good park WiFi, and particularly when you want to network devices.

Ok, that is part one.

Thing is, the Bott device doesn't make park WiFi better, it just makes your connection to the park's WiFi better. [Moderator Edit]
And my point is?

Combine the Bott antenna/router with a Mobley, or other device and you have both a personal secure WiFi, and internet access.

Case in point please? Ok, we are in Pagosa Springs, Co. at Wolf Creek Run Motorcoach Resort. I'm not bothering with their provided WiFi network because even with only 2 bars of LTE with AT&T we are streaming Raiders of the Lost Arc for the kids while Mom and I surf the Internet.

That works for us, and avoids the 5 device Mobley limit, in fact we are running a Smart TV, 3-5 iPads, 2 iPhones, and a PC.

I hope this helps,

-Matt
Matt D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:59 AM   #7

We rely on Park WiFi as much as possible because we need more than our 40 GB plan in a month. And the "unlimited" wireless plans do not make it at a 15 GB clip for Verizon and 22 GB clip for AT&T. And our experience pegs us with Verizon for the places we go.

Back to the Park WiFi, in 80% of the parks, if the WiFi is usable at all, the SOHO Router can make the connection. For those places were the park WiFi is sketchy, we have a Ubiquity Bullet (similar to the Nano, more robust) on the roof connected to the SOHO router as a WAN device. That way we maximize the park WiFi.

This has been a god sent in the Maritimes in Canada. We added the TravelPass to our Verizon plan but that only allows 500 MB per day of "high speed" internet. In layman terms, that means internet that is usable. Remember that when the "unlimited" plans cut in the slow down after the caps. Never say never that those clips won't happen.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I put together one of David Bott's units. The basic idea is to be able to reel in park WiFi. The bonus is it can also act as a "dumb" WiFi personal network in the absence of a good park WiFi, and particularly when you want to network devices.

Ok, that is part one.

Thing is, the Bott device doesn't make park WiFi better, it just makes your connection to the park's WiFi better. https://outsideourbubble.com/secure-...for-under-100/

And my point is?

Combine the Bott antenna/router with a Mobley, or other device and you have both a personal secure WiFi, and internet access.

Case in point please? Ok, we are in Pagosa Springs, Co. at Wolf Creek Run Motorcoach Resort. I'm not bothering with their provided WiFi network because even with only 2 bars of LTE with AT&T we are streaming Raiders of the Lost Arc for the kids while Mom and I surf the Internet.

That works for us, and avoids the 5 device Mobley limit, in fact we are running a Smart TV, 3-5 iPads, 2 iPhones, and a PC.

I hope this helps,

-Matt
Matt,

I have the same setup as you, Bott wifi and Mobley. I've noticed though, that when I'm using the Mobley through the Bott wifi, the speed is insignificantly slower than a straight connection to the Mobley. Have you seen this in your setup?
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
The Bott system is a repeater, and every wifi repeater system will be slower as it needs to transmit each message twice.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:10 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Mobley for cellular access. Works great.

I have a Ubiquity setup similar to the David Bott setup for wifi access using campground or other wifi access. Works great, if given a decent CG system, which is rare.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #11

I bought a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan from a data trader and put it in a mifi hotspot.

This is the pre 2011 plan that has no limits/throttling/caps etc.

After purchasing the line it is $50/month to Verizon. Worth every penny not to worry about this.

DM me for details.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #12

I gave up on park WIFI a long time ago...... virtually never good enough to do even basic surfing, let alone streaming. I have been a Verizon customer for a long time, and feel they are the best company for the most access across the country (would love to hear more from AT&T users on problems with coverage) but Verizon has the attitude that since we are supposedly the best, they are not going to participate in the contests to offer better packages for lower costs philosophy and therefore, you pay more for whatever coverage than you do than with most other companies. But, I bit the bullet this past February while in California and added a Verizon MIFI unit (also known as a JetPack)(same as the mobley?) which is now the central hub for everything that we have that accesses the internet. The MIFI can handle up to about 15 simultaneous users and is essentially just a router that makes the cellular connection. All our wireless devices (4 iPads (I know, why?), 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, a coach security camera system, and the temperature sensing device (TempStik), all connect to the MIFI now, so all the signals inside the coach are very strong and bulletproof. The MIFI JetPack costs me $10 more a month (instead of another full "line" cost) and my total broadband contract of 18 gigs per month with roll over for one month routs through the MIFI. The two iPhones continue to be their own lines when we are traveling away from the coach, but when we are in the coach, then they connect to the MIFI for the internet.

I think that should cost me in the neighborhood of $120 / month instead of close to $200 /month that it does cost, but I have found nothing so far that is much better so I bite my lip and pay the bandits. The GOOD part is that we are virtually always able to get good, fast internet access when on the road.

Gary
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:33 AM   #13

We have a WiFi Ranger installed on our coach. If the park wifi isn't fast enough we connect the Ranger to our hotspot. We run 2 cell phones, 2 laptops, a printer and a Roku on it. Works great.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Question: I have a bullet and a verizon mifi. I have connected the mifi wireless to the bullet and I get just "livable" internet service, can't really stream - which I thought I might be able to, but can't. Now the bullet is on the back of the couch and not outside ... but the mifi is also in the coach. Thoughts on how to improve this set up? Thanks