Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I just check Foxfi because of the new Verizon update and the Samsung phones still work. Karen, after this trip, is finally going into the Smart Phone world and I will keep the Samsung 4 for that reason....Good point.

Here is Foxfi's list of what will currently work. http://pdanet.co/help/devices.php
It's not the phone, it the carrier software. Sprint wants you to use THEIR Hotspot so they can monitor you data use and make you pay for it. Before I upgraded to the Galaxy S6, I had a Motorola Photon that was soon to be obsolete on the Sprint LTE network. It had FoxFi and worked great with my unlimited data plan. Can't do that anymore. Wouldn't be worrying about a wifi antenna if I still had that! I will say, though, that I received a letter from Sprint threatening to close our account because I was using the phone as an unauthorized hotshot.
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
It does have a lot to do with the carrier. Verizon had to pay $125 million for blocking data usage and therefor has laid off of Foxfi users. For once I got lucky in having the right carrier at the right time. Too bad I didn't have unlimited data.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bumps, I switched to Verizon cellular several years ago. When IPhone 4 came out, I found they had this MiFi deal. Worked good. When 4G came out we got the Verizon Jetpak. We use it for wifi at home, and take it with us in the road. I ordered an external antenna for the Jetpak through Verizon. On the road, I put it in behind windshield. I run 2 IPhone 6S, a PC, an IPad Air, a Kindle, and a Nook off the Jetpak. I use it via VPN to connect to work network. RV Park wifi at best is lousy and unreliable. Generally, Verizon service is available along most interstate highways. I have found a few places Verizon did not have coverage, but it seems to be universally better that the alternatives.
TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, I agree. We switched from AT&T in 2011 due to the lack of coverage in remote areas of the west coast. This year in the same areas with Verizon, no blank spots. Too bad I didn't switch before unlimited data ended.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:09 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
So it is more complicated than having good cell phone reception with 4G or LTE connection and activating the "Personal Hotspot" feature on an iPhone 6 then connecting a device?

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
So it is more complicated than having good cell phone reception with 4G or LTE connection and activating the "Personal Hotspot" feature on an iPhone 6 then connecting a device?

Vance & Robin
There CAN be more to it than that. It depends on your needs. If you just want to surf the 'net, do emails, maps, etc., having good cell reception and activating a personal hotspot should suffice. If you want to use Netflix or stream movies, music, photography, etc., that will use up your data in a hurry, and you wold be better off using some other wifi. I would start with my cell as a hotspot and see how much data is being used with regular use. You may not need wifi at all unless you are in an area with no cell reception. Or, if your data plan is costly, wifi is a cheaper alternative.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #21

As Flora says, no, it is not harder than I described in my initial post. An iPhone 5 or 6 has all the capability that you need for a hotspot. Now, I sit my phone right beside my "desk" in my 44B and it is connected to a charger to the USB charger plug that is right behind the "desk". That will do the job 98% of the time, if you have Verizon cell signal (90% of the time). The speed of the broadband depends on is the Verizon service LTE, 3G, or 2x or 1x. It can be very slow if you are in a fringe area but that is rare. Otherwise, if you have LTE, then it is very quick, and I can hang 4 or 5 devices on it and be doing something on all of them sequentially, and they are all hooked to the one iPhone and it works.

Now, I don't download NETFLIX ever, and I don't download heavy use stuff, but you know, every device you have wants to download updates, software updates (Windows-10 yesterday), etc and if you don't set them to download only when you tell them to download (when you find the rare RV park that has a WIFI system that actually works and doesn't clamp your downloads) or a McDonalds or Starbucks), then they can run up big broadband costs. My Window-10 download yesterday was 2 gigs. So I look at my usage frequently. I pay for 12 gigs a month on Verizon and find that I can live with that, but would have problems with less than 10 gigs.

That is just my situation, but I spend a lot of time looking at the weather, checking mail, readying the NYT and Washington post, CNN etc and researching RV parks and next places to stay and this works almost as well as at home for me, but its no cheap.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
One final thought...if you are relying solely on your cell reception, you can increase signal strength with a cell booster such as the Wilson Sleek. https://store.weboost.com/collections/boosters-vehicles . It has done a good job for us.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If our iPhones don't have a good connection alternate devices won't either.

Am I missing something I should consider?
I would say you basically have it covered.. The only possible "Miss" is this.

IF you have multiple ways to connect.. Say Verizon, At*T/T-Mobile and Sprint.. (one each) your odds of having a working connection improve.. I have been in parks where only AT&T worked.. in other places only Verizon works.. Sprint is the one least likely to work.

Also I-pones may not "Tether" as easily as other devices.

There is also 2-way Satellite, couople of options out there like Hughes (the old 7000s system) and I-Direct.. Very expensive and very very very very reliable. However make sure you get a good demonstration before you consider buying cause I know Hughes 7000 can be very frustrating unless you understand its limits.. Which I do.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
One more vote for FoxFi. And, if you have unlimited data, it is fast enough for streaming movies etc.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
As long as it doesn't violate the terms of your contract! They caught me!
Old 09-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #26

Quote:
There have been numerous discussions about wifi and we have done quite a bit of searching on solutions. About 50% of the time we get sufficient wifi from the park (email, etc). From what I have read it seems alternate solutions rely on a cell phone network so it seems our best solution could be to tether our devices to our iPhones when the park wifi is deficient. If our iPhones don't have a good connection alternate devices won't either.

Am I missing something I should consider?

Vance & Robin

We have installed a Verizon Mifi router in our cornerstone. It is pass word protected and provides service to all our devices as well as our guests. Data is excellent and we never use park wifi as we do a lot of our financial stuff on we. We use Mifi extensively in our construction company to provide Internet service and data transfer. There are occasional dead spots but few and far between

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum Eric Linde
Ericlinde is offline   Reply With Quote