RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 PM   #29

The question, as in many things in life, is how much do you want to pay - for useable data?

And what is 'useable data' to you? (Emails? A bit of surfing, and online banking, maybe a few trades of stock too, etc.).

Some random thoughts:

> If you want the highest chance of 'streamable' Download speeds. Add at least two methods of cellular data to your 'connectivity' arsenal. Verizon and ATT.
> ATT Mobley, if you can get one, is the best bang for the buck going recently.
> Verizon? Still has the best overall coverage. But, they continue to be very non customer friendly in their 'data' offerings. Seemingly going out of their way to change the plans every 8-16 months, and making them incredibly 'non easy' to compare on their website. (How many times can they use the term 'Unlimited', while talking about multiple plans that 'ARE LIMITED'?)
> In the ATT world, Unite Explore MIFI is the current top dog of data feeding connectivity. Add a roof top MIMO antenna for maximum speed enhancement, or the above mention window mounted Netgear Mimo antennas as in most areas close to a tower improvement in speeds, at low expenditure of funds.
> For those over 55, that mostly travel from larger city to larger city - the T-Mobile 55 and over plan, is sure worth checking out.
> WiFi, as in a park's wifi. Have companies like Pepwave, and WiFiRanger, that have products that help pull in a useable signal. And if you pay a bit more, you can get devices like the WiFiRange GOac that add both a stronger internal WiFI signal within/outside of your rig, but also a router, and also allow tethering of some of the Cellular devices.

A good source of info for both beginners looking for generic 'how to' info, up to advance uses that want to 'Geek out!' about these kinds of things. Are RVMOBILEINTERNET.COM, as well as looking up Jack Mayer's info too.

Technology changes, and can be expensive to evolve with. So if you are not running a business, or have a need to always being available data an cellular talk/text wise all of the time (Say family members to stay abreast of...) - then go slow. Choose tech that has been out for awhile and stabilize. This helps on the wallet impact upfront, and then a second time when the once 'current solution's' become close to being obsolete. (I just retired 4 months ago, an roof top antenna, cellular booster and cell/data phone that was 3G only. (It was in the care in a communications bag with a pay as you go plan, for in case we ever needed it.)). While all of '3G' is not obsolete, it sure as heck was getting almost too old to be relevant...).

My message here, is to determine what you need. How much you want to spend. Set up a system that supports your needs, and budget - then go use the dang thing and forget about it. (Saw a Ford Pinto today. Running too! And looked like it had been taken pretty good care of too. It got the driver where they wanted to go. A good example of that car, older tech as it is, being sufficient to serve the driver's need and probably budget too..... It would be even before 3G tech, in this conversation about cellular. And 802.11B vs 802.11AC via MIMO routers...). But, it must keep the guy driving it happy...

Best to all,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
I just bought the Alfa Camp Pro kit from TechnoRV and it is wonderful. Very easy to set up and lots of Youtube videos on how to .... inexpensive, less than $200 and it does work well.

DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Lynn, that looks interesting. We are currently at Traverse Bay where the wifi was marginal last year. This year there are so many Mobley's, mifi's and hot spots that I tired the wifi this morning just for fun and it was not bad. It's nice to see the pressure being taken off some of the park wifi's.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #32

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck,
I got it mainly for the park wifi at Bella Terra (where we are if we aren't out wandering). Seems Entegras are pretty well insulated and wifi has a hard time getting in sometimes. I put the antenna outside, attached it to a slide, and now I can actually steam netflix and amazon prime using the park's wifi. Now we will see how it does when the masses arrive starting October through the winter .... park is pretty bare right now. Lynn
Old 08-30-2017, 05:48 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Chuck,
I got it mainly for the park wifi at Bella Terra (where we are if we aren't out wandering). Seems Entegras are pretty well insulated and wifi has a hard time getting in sometimes. I put the antenna outside, attached it to a slide, and now I can actually steam netflix and amazon prime using the park's wifi. Now we will see how it does when the masses arrive starting October through the winter .... park is pretty bare right now. Lynn
We might stop there on the way home...... to check out the wifi.
We have heard so much about Bella Terra that I think we will head that way this year.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
We might stop there on the way home...... to check out the wifi.
We have heard so much about Bella Terra that I think we will head that way this year.

Sounds good. Let me know if you do and we will make sure we are here!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
The question, as in many things in life, is how much do you want to pay - for useable data?

And what is 'useable data' to you? (Emails? A bit of surfing, and online banking, maybe a few trades of stock too, etc.).

Some random thoughts:

> If you want the highest chance of 'streamable' Download speeds. Add at least two methods of cellular data to your 'connectivity' arsenal. Verizon and ATT.
> ATT Mobley, if you can get one, is the best bang for the buck going recently.
> Verizon? Still has the best overall coverage. But, they continue to be very non customer friendly in their 'data' offerings. Seemingly going out of their way to change the plans every 8-16 months, and making them incredibly 'non easy' to compare on their website. (How many times can they use the term 'Unlimited', while talking about multiple plans that 'ARE LIMITED'?)
> In the ATT world, Unite Explore MIFI is the current top dog of data feeding connectivity. Add a roof top MIMO antenna for maximum speed enhancement, or the above mention window mounted Netgear Mimo antennas as in most areas close to a tower improvement in speeds, at low expenditure of funds.
> For those over 55, that mostly travel from larger city to larger city - the T-Mobile 55 and over plan, is sure worth checking out.
> WiFi, as in a park's wifi. Have companies like Pepwave, and WiFiRanger, that have products that help pull in a useable signal. And if you pay a bit more, you can get devices like the WiFiRange GOac that add both a stronger internal WiFI signal within/outside of your rig, but also a router, and also allow tethering of some of the Cellular devices.

A good source of info for both beginners looking for generic 'how to' info, up to advance uses that want to 'Geek out!' about these kinds of things. Are RVMOBILEINTERNET.COM, as well as looking up Jack Mayer's info too.

Technology changes, and can be expensive to evolve with. So if you are not running a business, or have a need to always being available data an cellular talk/text wise all of the time (Say family members to stay abreast of...) - then go slow. Choose tech that has been out for awhile and stabilize. This helps on the wallet impact upfront, and then a second time when the once 'current solution's' become close to being obsolete. (I just retired 4 months ago, an roof top antenna, cellular booster and cell/data phone that was 3G only. (It was in the care in a communications bag with a pay as you go plan, for in case we ever needed it.)). While all of '3G' is not obsolete, it sure as heck was getting almost too old to be relevant...).

My message here, is to determine what you need. How much you want to spend. Set up a system that supports your needs, and budget - then go use the dang thing and forget about it. (Saw a Ford Pinto today. Running too! And looked like it had been taken pretty good care of too. It got the driver where they wanted to go. A good example of that car, older tech as it is, being sufficient to serve the driver's need and probably budget too..... It would be even before 3G tech, in this conversation about cellular. And 802.11B vs 802.11AC via MIMO routers...). But, it must keep the guy driving it happy...

Best to all,
Smitty

Great Info!!! We Have the Unite Explore for a 2018 Anthem. Can you recommend a good MImo antenna? We ordered the wifi extender option from Integra.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:11 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Netgear MIMO TS-9 connectors. 6000450. It is about $30. Newegg, ebay has them. Mine is mounted on drivers salon window behind the shade. Depending on the park, move it to different widows. I use Speedtest app to find the best window to place it in
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:20 PM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
Netgear MIMO TS-9 connectors. 6000450. It is about $30. Newegg, ebay has them. Mine is mounted on drivers salon window behind the shade. Depending on the park, move it to different widows. I use Speedtest app to find the best window to place it in

Thank you!

Tags
antenna