Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2017, 05:05 AM   #43

FWIW 10 miles is a long distance to local Telco companies.

Back to the big box store vs campground. Look at the customers. If we feed each one 100 MB fiber line how many users are trying to watch a movie on each one and how many are comparison shopping off a web site. There is a significant difference in the data needs.

FWIW 2 I run a cable and a DSL line into the house. Cell is almost unusabe at any time inside. We also run two different providers for cell service and had a third before I retired. I'm technically savvy enough to have gotten involved in some deals where I learned enough to have a clue but don't claim to be an expert. Just passing along what they tell me. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Many of the problems described here did not exist or were not nearly as bad before the advent of video streaming. One or two people using Netflix can completely use up all the bandwidth at an RV park. In my opinion it is both unrealistic and rude for people to stream video over RV park Wifi. Imagine how much bandwidth would be need for 100 RVs to be watching video simultaneously. There is no way the park could afford to provision for this. If the park served a buffet, would you eat all the food yourself and leave none for anyone else? That is what video streaming of park Wifi is akin to.

The result is that because of all this streaming, you cannot surf the web or check your mail, which is what park Wifi should be used for. TV viewing should be done using broadcast antennas or satellite, where unlimited users can coexist without overburdening the infrastructure.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Jerry0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry0312 View Post
Just what does that mean?
Old 02-08-2017, 05:02 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
It was meant as s joke since the responses seem to be circulatory. Offense not intended.
Jerry0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #48

The point is that the horse is dead. It has been well beaten since.

Folks who think this is the park's fault should also consider that the providers have their own usage models. No one is expecting 100% availability of full bandwidth any more than they expect to supply full rated power to every user. It is usually less of an issue in a house as the infrastructure is better understood and more stable. Even there power companies have been caught by new subdivisions and ended up with brownouts or blackouts due to heavy A/C loads. NY is currently suing both the Telco and Cable company in my area for not delivering full bandwidth all the time. The fact that most users can actually consume 50 MB is conveniently ignored. I say the last with some reservation. Toss in a couple of kids and 4 or more people can be sucking down different netflix at the same time while downloading some pirate movies for later. Maybe they are hitting 50!
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #49

Entegra Owners Club
Understood.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
One of the tools is working and glad I have it.
We are driveway camping while our bathroom is being remolded. My cheap Centurylink router will not get a signal out to the MH. I plugged in my Dave Bott wifi booster system and I now have wifi in the MH. Tools do work at times if you have them. I have ordered the router recommended by MRUSA14 for the S&B, but in the meantime I have wifi where I did not before. I am also able to pick up an open "Guest" signal from a Doctors office up on the Blvd. and yes I can connect. This is a tool I am glad I have for situations like this. Just my experience.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:09 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
I also have the David Bott system and it is fantastic. Often gets me good Wifi from the far end of the campground to the office, or from far end of a Walmart lot to the store, when my computer or iPad cannot even see the signal.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:21 AM   #52

Now to answer your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnorthway View Post
In our 2016 Cornerstone which has a smart TV (unlike me) can we watch Netflix/ Hulu/Amazon TV when we are at a campground and connected to their windows fi? If not how else is it possible? We do have a Verizon Hot Spot but I'm thinking that would use all my data?
Thanks for anyone's help.
Getting ready to travel from Iowa to Key West!
Now that you have read all the reasons why you shouldn't do it I'll answer your question. If you connect a laptop computer to the WiFi then you can plug it into your TV with a USB cable and mirror your computer screen on your TV.
jjcrawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #53

Entegra Owners Club
Did you mean an HDMI cable?
Old 02-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcrawfish View Post
Now that you have read all the reasons why you shouldn't do it I'll answer your question. If you connect a laptop computer to the WiFi then you can plug it into your TV with a USB cable and mirror your computer screen on your TV.
A Smart TV which the new Entegras have, will do almost everything a laptop will do with a good wifi connection. Will you be able to stream even on the laptop.....probably not on park wifi.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #55

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I also have the David Bott system and it is fantastic. Often gets me good Wifi from the far end of the campground to the office, or from far end of a Walmart lot to the store, when my computer or iPad cannot even see the signal.
Just another tool in the tool box. This is the first time I have used it since putting it together....I won't be leaving home without it. I can see it is going to work more times than not and will save on my cell phone data usage.

Thanks for the tip on the router, it should be here tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am going to talk about bandwidth limits here. But I'm not going to use Data, I'm going to use WATER

Now imagine a big city.. Like Detroit... Coming off the water works you have water mains so large that if they need to be shut down and drained for maintenance. you get in a golf car and drive down the pipe. stand up and do the weld. or patch. May even need a ladder!!!!. That pipe can haul major Gallons per minute.

But as you get closer and closer to your house 20 miles from downtown the pipes get smaller and smaller and smaller, and obviously by the time you get to the 1/4" plastic line feeding your icemaker,, Well the GPM is down to about one, if that.

Internet works the exact same way.. Exactly.

Side note: I once watched a fire, accross the river from Detroit, a Big Hotel, about 2 blocks long and oh, perhaps 10 stories high,, Vacant.

Windsor had been doing their best but getting no place, so they Called Detroit for assistance... The Randolph was hooked to Ford's Rouge steel plant pumping water.. The Major (Dennis Archer) called Ford and said "We will be taking it back for a bit" called for the Captain Ashore (Getting his hair cut) and after a few words exchanged with Ford this little yellow boat, Not much more than a Dingy compared to the two Coast Guard boats which were pouring water into the building from the river side, Pulled up and using the power of the props parked (Fastest navigable international waterway in world) He sat there for a short time....

THEN HE PICKED UP THE RIVER AN DUMPED IT ON THE HOTEL.

I kid you not he tossed up a wall of water a quarter mile wide and over 10 stories tall. Suffice to say that was the end of the fire.