Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

Windshield camera

Does anyone run a windshield camera?

Had a dangerous situation on the road yesterday:

We were passing through Birmingham, AL. The DW was driving and needed to change lanes, the pickup truck in the lane she needed to move to flashed his lights and she moved over in front of him. The semi we were trying to pass also moved over in front of us as well. So she decided to move over another lane to continue the pass, there was no one in that lane so she moved over. She noticed a SUV come out from behind the pickup truck that had originally let her move over and had also moved over with us to pass the semi. At this point she was running 60mph, the red SUV came around us in the far left lane and abruptly shifted to our lane and slammed on the brakes. She slammed on the brakes as well and missed hitting him by less than 3 feet. He took off and got of the Interstate at the next exit. She was going 45 when she let off the brake and started to accelerate again, not sure what happened behind us but I assume it was not good.

It occurs to me that had she hit him, dash cam footage would have helped prove he caused the accident.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited(his)
bamaspiveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I have had similar situations and now don't leave home without the dashcam rolling. It will record HD video as well as log the speed so you are covered if some jerk decides to run an insurance scam on the "rich guy" in the bus. In my humble opinion a must have.
UncleJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #3

I have one in every vehicle.
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #4

What kind, where to get them and cost?

2016 45 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 12-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
What I have

Z-Edge 3" Screen 2K Ultra Full HD1296P 2560x1080 Car Dash Cam, Car DVR Dashboard Camera Car Vehicle Camera with 32GB Card, Parking Monitor, G-Sensor ,Loop Recording ,WDR, Night Vision, Ambarella Chip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YRBQSK..._g2HvybERS6MJN
Old 12-17-2016, 10:46 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE_ View Post
What I have

Z-Edge 3" Screen 2K Ultra Full HD1296P 2560x1080 Car Dash Cam, Car DVR Dashboard Camera Car Vehicle Camera with 32GB Card, Parking Monitor, G-Sensor ,Loop Recording ,WDR, Night Vision, Ambarella Chip https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YRBQSK..._g2HvybERS6MJN
I too have been seriously looking at cams. Got a question maybe you can answer: I have large mirrors that stand about 16" in front of large, wide, tall windshield. If I purchase two cameras and mount on pillar or dash on each side, pointing ahead, do they record a sharp enough image that the mirrors become a record of beside the coach?

Thanks
RobbyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE_ View Post
What I have

Thanks!👍

2016 45 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 12-18-2016, 04:47 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I have and use one also. There are many many brands and models at prices ranging from about $25-$300. All of them seem to do the basics pretty well, and the pricier ones have more bells and whistles. Amazon has a huge assortment.

One thing to consder is that the legal angle can work against you as well as for you. If you are speeding, or cause an accident, the camera will prove it and can be subpoenaed as evidence by your opponent in court.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:59 AM   #9

Lots of good You Tube reviews too. Helps in determining what you need or don't need in terms of bells and whistles.
We are looking at a Blackvue and some others. One feature that I am considering is a camera with front and back views. Might make it useful for inside security too with phone alerts and live views.
I know there are a few owners that will have good suggestions for you as well.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Bought this one, and the 32 GB card. Not had it long - still learning. Nice screen, and 1080P. Mounter on lower Drivers side, out of my sight, but plugs into the outlet on left side of dash - out of the way completely. Have not played back anything, but if positioned properly, you may also get the spot mirror views - not sure how well you could see anything. Would be nice if all the cameras had recording ability.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Cam.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	146946
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #11

We use one in every vehicle.
hbatwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #12

It does seem that dash cameras are pretty much a 'requirement' anymore - which makes me feel slightly sad. I don't currently use one, but my current stage in life has me only being a 'weekend' camper, not full time.
I do seem to find myself watching more and more YouTube videos and if you use that as some sort of measuring stick it would seem that they are required.
Does anyone know if using one gets you any kind of insurance discount?
steve.2knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Another reason I dislike the Interstates...Too many trucks and idiots. I should and probably will get a dash cam for the times I do have to travel them, but give me a quite highway any day.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Another reason I dislike the Interstates...Too many trucks and idiots. I should and probably will get a dash cam for the times I do have to travel them, but give me a quite highway any day.

Agreed! There are so many wonderful and wacky things to see and do that can only be found when traveling on 2-lanes!
steve.2knee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera