Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #1

Windshield wiper arm

The OEM windshield wiper arms on our '13 classic Anthem have a clamp arrangement to secure them to the splined drive axle. The recessed hex screw to tighten them is visible when the arms are pulled away from the windshield and left in the "out" position.

So....I had to order a replacement arm from AM Equipment. The new arm has a completely different attachment method. It has a hex screw accessed under a little pop-off panel without pulling the wipers away from the windshield. The hex screw is in a tapered block that seems to wedge against the splines as it is tightened.

Driving in the monsoon rain last week the new wiper decided to just fall off the drive axle at an awkward moment in the spray behind a bunch of trucks. Luckily the washer hose caught the arm so I did not loose it. On the side of the road with 44 degree horizontal rain pouring down nothing really appeared wrong except the whole wedge thingy and hex bolt was loose. Reinstalled with existing parts making sure everything was aligned and engaged and tight.....VERY TIGHT. I proceeded.

Hour later the arm fell off again! Same scenario. Reinstalled again double checking every thing and tightening even a little more.

Repeat twice more before we arrived at home.

Waiting on return call from AM but wondered if others have had issues with this?

Do all the older Classics have the clamp style mount to the splined drive axle (with the recessed hex bolt perpendicular to the shaft?) And/or when did the wiper arms switch to the style with the little plastic cover you pop off the wiper arm cowl to tighten the hex bolt that is parallel to the splined drive axle to tighten the wedge against the splines.

Just trying to figure if I have parts from two designs mixed up?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

I dont have much to add to your question other than I think you probably got the wrong part or maybe some locktight on the screw would help?

I had a chevy truck that would lose the windshield wiper blade on the driver side every once in a while. always kept a spare in the truck. but it wasn't the arm it was just the blade. the way they attached it would just loosen up over time and go flying.

id try some locktight and contact the manufacture and see what gives.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

Been there, done that. There was a recall and I ask to be able to install it myself but Entegra said a shop had to do it. No matter how tight you tighten the clamp screw it will not be enough. You are missing the screw that goes in the end of the shaft through the very thin stainless sheet metal piece. After the recall was done my 2014 was missing those screws and like you mine fell off in temps just above freezing while driving down I-20 at night in a rain storm. Joyce sent me a complete recall kit and I saw that the screw that goes into the end of the shaft was missing on both wipers. I installed the screws and in the last three years they have stayed put. If you need a picture send me your e-mail I have a brand new arm sitting here in my office.

Doug
Old 05-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #4

Al,

You will have to remove the whole black plastic piece. Remove two #0 phillips screws. then pop the plastic piece off. You are missing a screw (one on each wiper arm) that goes through the very thin (I'm guessing 26-28 ga.) stainless bracket piece that has a hole in it that lines up with the post after you put the arm back on. Here is the pic. How is that for service? The hole you see in the stainless piece should have a bolt in it (socket head cap screw if I remember).

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2139.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	161347  
Old 05-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

The wiper arms with the little plastic piece that pops off for access is the new version after the recall. It lets you get to the screw that as you said clamps the arm on but all it really does is keeps the wiper arm from rotating on the shaft. The screw you are missing is what holds the arm from falling off.

Doug
Old 05-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #6

Doug, thanks for the info! ..and so fast

Now I think there are several things going on.....

My splined drive axles for the wipers do not have a hole (tapped or otherwise) in them to put a screw in.

The new arm I have looks like the one in your pics and there is only one screw with it (the one that screws into the wedge shaped piece.

So....so far it seems the design changed from the earlier clamp style joint to a newer design with the wedge pulled against the splines. AND, that there was a recall on that design to add a screw...????

I may have to replace/update the wiper drive axle piece to use the new arm.

In the mean time I have remounted the original OEM arms that clamp onto the splined shaft which is what I did to finally make the drive home. Good thing I had the old arm with me! The old arm was orginally replaced due to a split washer hose inside the arm and AM claims the only repair is a while new arm. BUT....they do not service the older style arms that clamp on the splines with a bolt perpendicular to the splined shaft.

Now, with everything else that happens to these beasts I'll be afraid to drive in the rain for fear of loosing a wiper. Or, spend who knows how much for updating to the new drive mechanisms and arms (and recall parts.) The new arm alone was over $150 and it was missing a part! So the whole system is probably a grand!...
Old 05-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
Doug, thanks for the info! ..and so fast

Now I think there are several things going on.....

My splined drive axles for the wipers do not have a hole (tapped or otherwise) in them to put a screw in.

The new arm I have looks like the one in your pics and there is only one screw with it (the one that screws into the wedge shaped piece.

So....so far it seems the design changed from the earlier clamp style joint to a newer design with the wedge pulled against the splines. AND, that there was a recall on that design to add a screw...????

I may have to replace/update the wiper drive axle piece to use the new arm.

In the mean time I have remounted the original OEM arms that clamp onto the splined shaft which is what I did to finally make the drive home. Good thing I had the old arm with me! The old arm was orginally replaced due to a split washer hose inside the arm and AM claims the only repair is a while new arm. BUT....they do not service the older style arms that clamp on the splines with a bolt perpendicular to the splined shaft.

Now, with everything else that happens to these beasts I'll be afraid to drive in the rain for fear of loosing a wiper. Or, spend who knows how much for updating to the new drive mechanisms and arms (and recall parts.) The new arm alone was over $150 and it was missing a part! So the whole system is probably a grand!...

I'm not sure because I have slept since then but I think the recall also changed out the drive axles. I'm not sure but I know I had the old style then after the recall was done I have what you have now. I would think if you can get hold of Joyce (or PJ) they would at least send you the parts since this was a recall. They really should have it done for you. If I remember this was a safety recall and maybe ordered by the NTSB? Maybe I dreamed that part. Bad comes to worse you could drill and tap the drive axles. As you can see the stainless piece the screw goes through is so thin it does not take anything to hold the arm on.

Doug
Old 05-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #8

I just found the e-mails going back and forth between myself and Joyce on 11-26-13. I'm looking for the PDF she sent me with the instruction for the recall. So far I am not finding it.

Doug
Old 05-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

My drivers side arm also fell off I called Entegra they sent a replacement N/C no more problems. If I see that its going to rain I do not drive too much work to wash the RV
Bob Thomason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I too went through this. There is a whole replacement kit that you need to get from Entegra. There was no charge for it. They installed it for me at a rally so I don't know how it is installed. I suggest you get in touch with Entegra and get your information from the official factory source, not hearsay information on IRV2.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I suggest you get in touch with Entegra and get your information from the official factory source, not hearsay information on IRV2.
Yeah don't believe anything you read on IRV2 from someone that has been through it and fixed it themselves.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
My point was that the factory knows what went onto your coach and what it needs, whereas well-meaning IRV2 readers may have a very different setup. The wipers have changed over the years and are not all alike.

In addition, the factory can send you the parts you need, so you'll probably have to call them anyway.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #13

I did talk at length to the folks at AM Equipment today and it cleared up some the mystery and my questions.

There was a design change from the clamp style arms to the version with the locking wedge. Seems a lot of those fell off due to improper assembly or lack of sufficient torque on the wedge bolt. The design change to the wedge was reported to be on the '14's but nothing seems perfectly concrete with these coaches regarding design change points.

During the time frame '12 and '13 model year coaches were being manufactured and changes for the '14's were in play so there was a lot happening at Entegra so details of exactly when the change was made was still not perfectly clear. "Common knowledge" was that my '13 had the clamp style arms because it was an early build and end of model '13's got the wedge style design change....but...with old stock around possibly and coaches being finished out of sequence made have had an impact.

Another design change to the wedge style retainer was made to add the screw in the end of the spindle shaft for positive retention of the arm regardless how the wedge is installed. This led to a retrofit of many coaches and what was viewed as a "recall" to supply the splindle shafts that are drilled and tapped for a bolt. This is the infamous "kit" referred to that includes the spindles with holes in the end and new wiper arms that include the small stainless steel plate sanwiched under the wedge bolt and the bolt into the spidle.

Conjecture on my part is that a lot of 14/15 model coaches were retrofitted with the "kit" before leaving the factory as there was a concerted effort by a team of techs to change as many as possible. Coaches already in the field were "recalled" in some fashion and had the kit installed on them.

What seemed to get lost in the shuffle was the issue of service parts for the earliest design which used the clamp style attachment. The clamp style arms are no longer available so if replacement was required the new arm with the wedge attachment was supplied. This is the scenario I got caught up with.....servicing the older design with the new parts. They are theoretically compatible but reality reared it's ugly head and my replacement fell off in the same way seen previously.

AM is sending me the complete "kit" to retrofit the splined shafts and arms to the design used for the "recall" and what is in production today. I was able to convince them I was capable of installing the hardware so now the pressure is on to report back!

Sooo.....the mystery is solved. Talking to one of the techs at AM that actually put the "kit" together and went out into the field (literally) and retrofitted coaches with the kit helped explain the series of events a great deal. It took a bit of inquiring at AM to get to the root of the problem and I really appreciate and commend the techs I talked to at AM Equipment for their patience. Some of this community type knowledge had already been lost as jobs and assignments changed so tracking down the Entegra rep at the time of the wiper design change was key to solving the mystery.

I am paraphrasing quite a bit of different conversations with several different people so hopefully the story is clear and accurate. I believe it is as close to the correct synopsis of this issue as I could make of it. In any case, I'm not going to flog it with Entegra any further so if someone comes up with a different narrative I wouldn't be surprised...