RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #1

Windshield Wiper Arm Failure

Add another one to the list.

We stripped the drivers side wiper blade arm last week. In high head winds and rain north of Memphis.

After trying to wait out the rain for four hours, we finally drove the final 90 miles to the campground with only the passenger side arm. Really wish I had a good coat of RainX on the windshield. That said it really wasn't that bad, I was even able to pass semis without being blinded.

After looking at the design and motion of the driver's side arm. I think a large reason these are failing is due to the blade starting to go around the corner of the windshield. Then on the return stroke it has to "climb the hill" to get back to the flat portion.

Like others have done, I am definitely going to go to a shorter blade to reduce drag, and/or pin the arm to the shaft.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #2

We had that issue but on the passenger wiper, I ordered 2 new wiper arms and adjusted the arms not to go so close to the sides.(they rest at the very bottom of the windshield)

fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I had that happen on our coach, except it was in St. Louis instead of Memphis.

There is a TSB on wiper arm replacement. I can't seem to find it right now but if you don't follow it, the replacement arm will fail soon thereafter. Don't ask me how I know this.

It basically involves removing the old arm and cleaning the drive shaft. The shaft is hard steel with a number of fine splines. The wiper arm is soft metal that presses onto the splines and conforms to the shaft. Once the old arm is off you need to take a small wire brushes and a utility knife to scrap out the old soft metal deposits from between the splines so that the shaft is clean. The new arm is then installed and torqued to something like 35 ft-lbs. The wipers should not be operated yet. After a certain amount of time you retorque the arm to something like 55 ft-lbs. and you are good to go.

Now don't quote me on the exact torque specs or the amount of wait time it takes. If I find the bulletin I'll post it here, or if someone else has it and posts it be sure to use those specs. Once done correctly it should hold up.

However, I do make it part on my annual service routine to check the wiper arm torque. They can loosen up over time. Plus, the arms are put on at the factory after the coach come back from paint and I know that they don't do the two step torque process so I advise all owners to check the torque on the wiper arms (once the correct torque spec is published).
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:53 AM   #4

Good to use that Rain-X Stuff

Even when the wipers work.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

Sent by Entegra CS when our wiper arms stripped out...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf new arm installation - 2.pdf (347.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Emailing wiper print.PDF (502.4 KB, 26 views)
Flanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #6

Thanks Paul

Those files are now in the "vault"

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Our drivers side arm did the same thing. Bought the new assembly a couple of months ago and did what it said. Still hold my breath every time I have to turn on the wipers. Only use them when I absolutely have to. There really should be a better mechanism for the wipers ... imo.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #8

Just a side note, when I was ordering parts from Diesel Equipment the CS rep. mentioned that the assembly number, printed label, for the complete wiper setup was on the wiper motor. This number was then used as a top level assembly number which showed all part numbers for all parts associated with our Anthem.

If you are looking to order parts, find this number and use it if your going to order from Diesel Equipment.
Flanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, that "new arm" document is the one I was looking for.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #10

Extremely good timing on your post as we have a new wiper arm on order also. So thanks!
Larry.
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I had that happen on our coach, except it was in St. Louis instead of Memphis.

There is a TSB on wiper arm replacement. I can't seem to find it right now but if you don't follow it, the replacement arm will fail soon thereafter. Don't ask me how I know this.

It basically involves removing the old arm and cleaning the drive shaft. The shaft is hard steel with a number of fine splines. The wiper arm is soft metal that presses onto the splines and conforms to the shaft. Once the old arm is off you need to take a small wire brushes and a utility knife to scrap out the old soft metal deposits from between the splines so that the shaft is clean. The new arm is then installed and torqued to something like 35 ft-lbs. The wipers should not be operated yet. After a certain amount of time you retorque the arm to something like 55 ft-lbs. and you are good to go.

Now don't quote me on the exact torque specs or the amount of wait time it takes. If I find the bulletin I'll post it here, or if someone else has it and posts it be sure to use those specs. Once done correctly it should hold up.

However, I do make it part on my annual service routine to check the wiper arm torque. They can loosen up over time. Plus, the arms are put on at the factory after the coach come back from paint and I know that they don't do the two step torque process so I advise all owners to check the torque on the wiper arms (once the correct torque spec is published).

Correct torque on the wiper arm is 70ft/lbs and retorque to 70 after 12 hours per the design team at Diesel Equipment Sales I also went with a shorter arm and lighter blade.
classicalgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #12

Thanks everyone. Paul those are the same I got from CS as well.

From SC I got a "we don't recommend customers changing these out themselves" statement in the body of the email that they sent me. They really want us to go to a dealer for this change out.

I got the replacement part in two days from NIRVC Atlanta. They had some in stock. Might have a paid a little more but I thought it was fair. $74 plus shipping. At the time when I was sitting on the side of the road in the rain, I didn't think too much about shopping the price around.

BTW, I was able to clean out the shaft splines about 90% with just my finger nail. I realized it was fractured, but it sure isn't very strong aluminum. It had the consistency of lead.

Steve
Old 02-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
We had that issue but on the passenger wiper, I ordered 2 new wiper arms and adjusted the arms not to go so close to the sides.(they rest at the very bottom of the windshield)
Tom how much vertical gap did you leave between the two wipers?

Steve
Old 02-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #14

Diesel Equipment price $46 plus shipping.
Larry

Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windshield