Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #1

Winegard Travler now available?

In the "'build your own" section of the Entegra website there is now an option for Winegard Trav'ler Satellite with DirecTV. Does this mean the Coaches are now being prewired for this?

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a new Cornerstone but that in-motion Dome is not going to cut it.

Anyone have some insight on this?
Dixiejacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiejacket View Post
In the "'build your own" section of the Entegra website there is now an option for Winegard Trav'ler Satellite with DirecTV. Does this mean the Coaches are now being prewired for this?

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a new Cornerstone but that in-motion Dome is not going to cut it.

I am not sure if it is prewired but what that means is you can order the Trav'ler antenna as an option. I ordered it with mine and picked up the coach in June. I am in the middle of doing some rewiring and it looks like both wiring is there but since mine came with it, I really can't tell.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
I am not sure if it is prewired but what that means is you can order the Trav'ler antenna as an option. I ordered it with mine and picked up the coach in June. I am in the middle of doing some rewiring and it looks like both wiring is there but since mine came with it, I really can't tell.
If you order the Trav'ler option does the coach then come with both the standard and optional antenna or do you just get the Trav'ler and pay the difference between the two? Am I correct in that the main benefit of the Trav'ler is allowing you to obtain HD TV and connect to 4 TV's rather as opposed to standard TV with a max of 2 TV's. Just trying to figure out if we need or want this option.
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
If you order the Trav'ler option does the coach then come with both the standard and optional antenna or do you just get the Trav'ler and pay the difference between the two? Am I correct in that the main benefit of the Trav'ler is allowing you to obtain HD TV and connect to 4 TV's rather as opposed to standard TV with a max of 2 TV's. Just trying to figure out if we need or want this option.
No you just get the trav'ler and you don't get credit for the in-motion at all, for whatever reason. I chose to order it from the factory so that the responsibility of cutting through the roof was theirs!
The wiring in the coach is the same. The only difference in prewiring is the amount and type of wiring necessary for each "antenna to control box".
The advantage of the travler is it gets HD with Directv and is also better able to get and retain a satellite single. The inmotion is very sensitive. Disadvantage is you can't use it traveling.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure this helps but I've had the Trav'ler on two coaches and it is the only way to go if you want Direct HD. The trav'ler never fails to find the birds and is not as sensitive to rain fade as any of the dome sat gizmo's.

I just installed the new SWM Trav'ler on my CC (got rid of the Trac Vision in Motion dome) and it was easy. The new SWM Trav'ler only requires two cables from the roof to inside the coach....a control cable and one coax. Once the single coax is inside the coach, it is connected to a powered splitter that can then feed as many as 4 satellite receivers.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

I have it on my 2014 Cornerstone along with the genie DTV receiver.It is hooked up to all 4 tvs and the picture is fantastic-all HD.
GES627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianneS View Post
It's true that the Trav'ler is the only way to go for DirecTV HD Feeds. None of the domes can receieve them because the HD feeds are on the KA band rather than the KU band. However, you can run more than two receivers from the domes by adding a 2x4 multiswitch. I originally did that on mine so that I could trun two dual channel DVRs from my KingDome.

The drawback is that you need to run 2 cables to each DVR so my next pkase involved adding a Winegard SWM-8 SWM converter to convert the KingDome to single coax SWM so that I only needed to run a single cable to each DVR. I did that when I upgraded my older TIVO DVRs to the newer HR24 DVRs, which are SWM compatible. Lastly, I removed the dome and replaced it with a Trav'ler and now I get HD feeds as well as no rain fade, which was common with the domes.

SWM technology creates 8 channels and multiplexes them on the same single cable so it is possible to run up to 8 receivers. You do this by using a 1x8 splitter or else stacking splitters in a cascading arrangement. You do need to give up one port for a power inserter but that can also be done by adding a 1x2 splitter into the system.

The new Trav'ler is SWM, which is great. I bought my Trav'ler just before they went to SWM so I needed to use my SWM-8 converter to make it into a SWM system.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #8

We get HD with our in motion dome with Dish. No complaints here!

Perhaps you have selected the wrong provider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiejacket View Post

Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Us3Here View Post
We get HD with our in motion dome with Dish. No complaints here!

Perhaps you have selected the wrong provider?
Dont think so.Are you able to watch different programs on all 4 tvs?In HD?
GES627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #10

Not sure. Never tried more than one TV on at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GES627 View Post
Dont think so.Are you able to watch different programs on all 4 tvs?In HD?
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #11

Where did you buy the SWM8 switch?
Cloudancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudancer View Post
Where did you buy the SWM8 switch?
www.solidsignal.com is a good source for DirecTV parts.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
SWM and Antenna confusion

My understanding of SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch) wiring only applies to DirectTV brand installations and is not used in Dish or other brand satellite systems. So be careful about which system you are reading about when buying/installing a Winegard Travlr Dish.

Not trying to start a Satellite Provider fight but understand Dish using "pay as you go" and for me (repeat for me)works the best for my needs. Some people favor DirectTV for programming like sports but I know myself and a lot of families prefer Dish which works in full HD on my Roadtrip Mission Dome which came with the Entegra RV. I know a lot of people (me included) have to carefully read up on the systems to figure out which one is best but when one OP writes "I get full HD...no you don't"...or whatever you have to carefully compare the systems and what hookup works with which antenna. A lot of times the details boil down to do you watch different shows (in HD) on different TVs or not? For a person who watches one TV at a time a simple system might be the answer. I like the Winegard Travlr with Dish or DirectTv and it will be next antenna....I Think.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I guess in the end, I still have the same question/concern...as a Dish user. While the Traveller can feed multiple TVs, as I understand from discussions with both Dish and Wineguard, when you change the channel causing the dish to move from one satellite to another (strictly Dish now), if the other TV(s) are on a channel on the previous satellite and not on the new satellite...you will lose the signal and the picture. Until Dish puts all their channels on all of their satellites in use (currently 72, 110, 119, and 129 degrees), this is the Dish issue.

Pls, someone tell me I'm wrong...because if you are a Dish customer, until they do put all their channels on each satellite they use, it is tough for me to see spending for the upgrade.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote