Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a thread in this bunch that applies to winter camping.
We have been in 1* weather with the furnace heat on heating the tank area and if you have a fiberglass floor in water bay purchase a insulated blanket to block the cold, full water tank and full LP gas if that's what you heat with.
Have fun.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2014, 05:01 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Just a caution for a different part of the coach. Snow will collect on the slide toppers, stretching them (even the dry snow in Utah especially swarth from the coach may melt it and then refreeze, causing additional weight). May want to pull them in when expecting snow, or take a push broom and step ladder and push the snow off routinely. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #17

Silverqueen, will campground deliver fuel to your sight or are you not planning on using the Aqua Hot? This is a problem I have worried about since I want to camp in Breckenridge. I don't want to pack up every week or so to get fuel.
hikndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #18

I've camped at Breckenridge and Park City during Ski season. Not in my Anthem but in a coach with FAR less insulation than the Entegra's. Also I have spent extended times in 0 to -10 temps in the Entegra (not in ski areas). If for a week or two no big deal. I just made sure I filled up the water tanks everyday and emptied the grey water, then disconnected the hoses and stored them daily. I would empty the black water every 4th day. The insulation is so good that the only times we needed to use the aquahot for heat was in the evening. If you have the fireplace it does a good job at retaining the heat from it. I also might put a small heater in the water compartment on low.
We're heading to Park City for a week around Dec 9th and I'm really not concerned about it. I will fill up prior to pulling into the campground though just to be safe.
roadrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Thank you all for the great ideas. We have lived in the Colorado mountains for several years, so we are quite experienced with lots of snow. KP will be on the roof to keep it clear (darn, wish they had put a ladder on the Cornerstone but we have a good extendable now). Good idea to bring slides in when we know it's going to snow. Can't use the fireplace then, as slide is in front of it.

The Aquahot heats the tank area, so we will keep it on. We will check on mobile fueling - good idea. Otherwise, bring home 5 gallons every few days.

We were just in Truckee this week with 15 degree nights. Coach was so warm w fireplace n 1 portable heater that we couldn't stand to use the down comforter. Great insulation!

Will keep posted with our experience.

PS...anyone skiing Park City...we stay at Mountain Valley RV Resort in Heber. Brand new park and really great. We stayed there earlier this year and just love it.

JJ
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbersdad View Post
Any reason heat tape won't work there as well? Just make sure that the heat tape doesn't melt the sewer hose. Should be less complicated than trying to skirt the entire motor home and then heat the enclosed area
I created a freshwater supply hose following this video for some upcoming winter travel that I have planned..

There are some other nice tips in there too.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

If you want to know all about RVing in winter, check out Jeff Daniels' tutorial at

There's a whole series. I particularly like the one about using the head while driving.

It's a hoot.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverqueen View Post
Thank you all for the great ideas. We have lived in the Colorado mountains for several years, so we are quite experienced with lots of snow. KP will be on the roof to keep it clear (darn, wish they had put a ladder on the Cornerstone but we have a good extendable now). Good idea to bring slides in when we know it's going to snow. Can't use the fireplace then, as slide is in front of it.

The Aquahot heats the tank area, so we will keep it on. We will check on mobile fueling - good idea. Otherwise, bring home 5 gallons every few days.

We were just in Truckee this week with 15 degree nights. Coach was so warm w fireplace n 1 portable heater that we couldn't stand to use the down comforter. Great insulation!

Will keep posted with our experience.

PS...anyone skiing Park City...we stay at Mountain Valley RV Resort in Heber. Brand new park and really great. We stayed there earlier this year and just love it.

JJ
Thanks for the recommendation! We're going to try and get reservations there early Dec for 1-2 weeks (as soon as I can get DH to make up here mind).
Also I recommend Snake River restaurant in Heber on of our favorite places.
roadrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Chains?

Question for all you die-hards: Have you ever had to chain up?
Old 11-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
No, but I did buy chains We used chains on our cars occasionally in NC when we went skiing, almost had to use them once in the RV there, but not in the northeast where we now live.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikndog View Post
Silverqueen, will campground deliver fuel to your sight or are you not planning on using the Aqua Hot? This is a problem I have worried about since I want to camp in Breckenridge. I don't want to pack up every week or so to get fuel.
We couldn't find a mobile diesel fuel delivery service for any kind of a reasonable price. One service wanted $150 just to get here!

Also didn't want to pack up and drive to a truck stop. We thought about a few 5 gallon fuel cans, but that seemed cumbersome and messy and meant bringing in a slide to access the fuel tank.

Then we got the idea that maybe we could buy a portable fuel tank. Sure enough, we found several on Amazon. We opted for the 14 gallon one that was around $125. We had to modify the hose to get more length. We just back up our truck and let the fuel drain in.

There are bigger tanks, some with pumps. Just depends on how much you want to spend and how you want to transport it and fill up.

Problem solved!

We are staying quite comfy in our coach, even during the very low temperatures. We have Zone 2 set at about 72, 1 and 3 at about 58 (they have never gone on) then have a small electric heater in the bedroom set at 62 and run the fireplace on low at night. We just turn up the fireplace and bedroom electic heater in the morning or evening as needed.
JoyceJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #26

I would be more concerned about the after affects of winter travel; the salt!

The rig can take the cold with no real issues.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Good idea on the portable fuel tank.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Finally has a very good point about salt eating at your coach.

We bought our 2014 Anthem as slightly used (8 months, <5000 miles), but the previous owner never cleaned off the salt accumulated while driving in Canada last winter. We have some rust in various spots, but some serious rust in other spots. We've even had to replace some parts due to salt damage.

We strongly suggest that you thoroughly rinse the undercarriage in the Spring.

As for us, the only salt the Anthem will see from now on is from the wonderful sea breeze in the Florida Keys.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter