Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #1

Winter Storage

I’ve lost my place to store it’s the coach that has a plug-in, so this winter I’ll be putting it inside a building but it won’t be plugged into power. Of course I’ll look in the manual and follow the instructions but any advice?
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Which coach do you have? Where will the Coach be stored without power (what part of the Country)?

Quick list off the top of my head:
1. More than likely, you'll need to winterize your coach (RV Antifreeze) on the water side of your Aqua-hot. Run all the faucets, toilets, (hot and cold), don't forget the frig and washing machine.
2. Make sure the Aqua-hot boiler side is up to the proper level in the expansion tank. It's sugar and distilled water based, so could evaporate depending on how long your gone.
3. I use Fresh Cab , Moth Balls, and Irish Spring soap to help keep the mice away.
4. Turn off all circuit breakers.
5. Disconnect the House and Chassis batteries, or they'll be dead in about a week.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Rusty
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #3

As an alternative to antifreeze you can blow out all the lines with low pressure air. Then just dump a little antifreeze into the traps. You'll thank me in the spring when you don't have that nasty smelling, foaming water from using the AF
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #4

Sorry, do you thousand 18 aspire... northeast Ohio... it will be Indoor, the guy says he keeps in about 40° but, no plug in...
Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #5

And thanks so much for all your help,,, you guys make this a great source of information for all of us newbes ... When you come back in the spring and your batteries are dead, then what?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #6

And how about a diesel additive?
Old 10-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Aquahot doesn't recommend using air to blow out there system. I read this after last winter, after I blew mine out. Ours survived and is working fine, maybe it's because I took a fair amount of time and made sure the lines were really blown out well.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhobbs54 View Post
Aquahot doesn't recommend using air to blow out there system. I read this after last winter, after I blew mine out. Ours survived and is working fine, maybe it's because I took a fair amount of time and made sure the lines were really blown out well.
I use 25psi and take my time going through every faucet, etc several times until there is no water whatsoever. Takes about an hour+ but I don't care. I never have that nasty pink water o smell to deal with. I have done it this way on all my coaches.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:45 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Power Services makes a product called Diesel Fuel Supplement. I helps prevent gelling if your fuel wasn’t treated.
If you disconnect batteries properly, with any luck ,your batteries will maintain a charge.
As mentioned by others, blowing out your lines is an option. Be sure to have a regulator and reduce your air pressure. I worry about a low point in the plumbing retaining water so have opted to use rv antifreeze. I’ve not had any problems with using it. Best solution is head south.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just an FYI.

The reason it's not recommended to use air to blow out your system, is the Aquahot. There's about 35 feet of fresh water copper coil that may not be blown out completely. It's an $8000 to $10,000 mistake, if is doesn't work, because that's what it will cost you to replace it. From Aqua-hot "Low Point Drains/Blowing out the lines with air will NOT protect the domestic water coil from damage in freezing weather".

Cheers!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
When winterizing the washing machine ensure you pump antifreeze in the hot, cold and warm modes. These machines have multiple water valves on the inside. On the older whirlpools the cold water inlet has 2 valves under the top. One for warm water. I suspect mine cracked because I didn’t run the washer in warm mode when I winterized. I will tell you that $15 part is painful to change.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #12

Check with a local RV dealer and ask them for a quote and list of their winterizing procedure. Then do it yourself. A 6 month storage does not need diesel additives. If you do the air blow out procedure, just follow up a week later to see if any additional water comes out. Water may freeze at 32 deg, but zero pressure water won't have enough bursting pipe pressure until the temp gets to around 20 deg.
For battery storage in Mich, I would disconnect a cable and either use a trickle charger or battery charger tied into the garage door opener or barn light circuit. In your case, how about a 12V solar battery charger taped to the shed roof.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #13
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
When winterizing the washing machine ensure you pump antifreeze in the hot, cold and warm modes. These machines have multiple water valves on the inside. On the older whirlpools the cold water inlet has 2 valves under the top. One for warm water. I suspect mine cracked because I didn’t run the washer in warm mode when I winterized. I will tell you that $15 part is painful to change.

Herb
You can also use air, just start a wash in hot water, stop machine, start again in cold water, then again in warm, with air pressure in RV
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
Dom

I don't know how an Aquahot system works or gets its water, but could you not just put anti freeze in that system only?
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter