RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Wintering in Denver Advice ?

Hey all, we have a 2013 DEQ and I知 considering a job offer in Denver. I知 not that familiar with the area so I知 wondering if any of you have actually wintered full time in your Aspire in Denver, is it even doable ?
It is a 4 season coach

Thanks !!

John Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Grant View Post
Hey all, we have a 2013 DEQ and I’m considering a job offer in Denver. I’m not that familiar with the area so I’m wondering if any of you have actually wintered full time in your Aspire in Denver, is it even doable ?

Thanks !!
Yup very do-able..
"Skirt" the bottom of your coach and IF you have Propane heat system...have a propane supplier set a 120 gal tank with a 2 stage regulator system from the tank to your RV...(and have them place you on a "KeepFull" status)
NOTE!! Electricity is very expensive to use for heat in Colorado...

Plan on filling your fresh tank and using from it (with water supply hose dis-connected and stored after filling tank)
Sewer line is a "push" whether you pull it out to dump the tanks or just leave it hooked up.
Incandescent light bulbs in the water/sewer bay/ basement to keep things warm and fuzzy feeling..
If you do not have an RV just yet, look for one that is livable with the slides retracted...MUCH EASIER (and economical) to heat & cool the smaller SQ square footage.. and normally there is limited/minimal insulation in extended slides..

If expecting heavy snow,,, retract the slides if possible to lesson chance of leaks around seals (and you won't have to worry about the slide topper stretching/ripping due to the weight of the snow/ice.)
Happy trails & good luck on the job

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Are there camp grounds open during the winter ❄️? Any one have any info ?
Old 11-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Are there camp grounds open during the winter ❄️? Any one have any info ?
re: Denver area campgrounds..
Also check out trailer parks that may have a space available... The monthly cost may be less..
I just did a "down and dirty" search phrase on Google Earth.... found several in the Denver area..
Used this phrase...
" open year around RV parks or campgrounds near Denver CO. "
Old 11-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

I've lived full time in Denver in my motorhome since last January. We have a house in Florida in which we lived for more than 30 years. We bought a business in Denver and plan on flipping it and going back to the warm weather in Florida. We hadn't owned our coach but a couple of months, so not only did we not know a lot about living in the RV in the winter, we really didn't know much about RVing.
Well we survived the trip to Denver through a snow and ice storm, as well as the winter here. Living in your coach in Denver is probably no different than living anywhere else in the winter time. You will have to keep yourself and your coach warm. There are very few RV parks here in Denver and they're all a bit pricey just like the area itself. I live in an over 55 RV park, it's quiet and we enjoy it here, although we both can't wait to get back to our home in Florida.
These are the things I do to keep us and our coach warm: We have 50 amp service so we can utilize more electric heaters without blowing a breaker (if you have the Aspire I think that's 50 amp as well, but you'd know that better than me). I plug two of the heaters into non-inverter outlets (these run off the park power, bypass my inverter) and run our fireplace and one additional heater when it gets down near zero off the inverted outlet, so a max 4 electric heaters if you include the fireplace for us to keep warm. I've been sweating with the fireplace and only two electric heaters and it's been in the low 20's lately. Now you don't have to run any electric heaters at all and just run your propane heat, or a combination of the two, whatever works for you. I have the propane heat on (the furnace), but it's set at a very low setting so it never comes on. The advantage of the propane heat is that if your cargo bays are vented for heat the furnace will also keep your tanks in the basement from freezing. My solution for keeping my tanks warm is the following: I use two temperature controllers that are attached to two electric heaters that are all located in the cargo bay near my tanks and wet bay. When the temperature drops to 35 degrees the heaters in the cargo bay come on, and when the temperature rises to 38 degrees the heaters turn off. I also have temperature gauges in 3 different cargo bays where my tanks reside, with the central monitoring station in the coach, so I always know what temperature it is where my tanks and wet bay are located. I rent two large propane tanks (probably 75 pounds each) which have their own regulator and transfer, so if I run out of propane on one tank it will switch to the other automatically. If I think I might be running low I'll check the tanks to see if they had switched over and if they have I call the propane company to bring my another full tank. I keep my fresh water tank empty and run off the city water using a heated hose and some insulation wrapped around my water pressure regulator to keep that from freezing. I keep my gray and black tanks closed and only open them when I need to dump, or when my wife does the wash and it's above freezing. When I first moved here we had a different coach and it wasn't insulated nearly as well and didn't have double pane windows. We are finding it much easier to stay warm with the new coach. Like I said, there are many ways to keep both your coach and yourself from freezing. Good luck, and if you need any more information about the RV parks in the area let me know.
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
You do not have to skirt the bottom. It is a heated basement and very well insulated
Gregory0495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #7

FYI - my electric bill last month was 30 bucks, we'll see what it is this month. I'm at work all day, so I'm sure we use less electricity than someone home all day.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Hey all, we have a 2013 DEQ and I知 considering a job offer in Denver. I知 not that familiar with the area so I知 wondering if any of you have actually wintered full time in your Aspire in Denver, is it even doable ?
It is a 4 season coach

Thanks !!
In my last coach the bulb didn't keep my bays warm enough, but I believe they were not insulated enough. I know that the bulb didn't work because I have the temperature gauges that monitor my cargo bays.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
It is a 4 season coach

Thanks !!
FYI, I do not skirt my coach, but I do see other's that do, again it's what you choose to do to keep your coach warm. Like I said I've had no problems keeping us and the coach warm.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
FYI, I do not skirt my coach, but I do see other's that do, again it's what you choose to do to keep your coach warm. Like I said I've had no problems keeping us and the coach warm.
In winter I'm used to what some call severe conditions..ie: -15 to -30 deg (w/o wind chill factored in) combined with 30/50 mph winds....so I prepare for the coldest on record just to be sure all is kept well and warm..
Old 11-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #11

Something else about the Denver area you might find interesting if you didn't already know this: Because we're a mile high the sun is stronger and it really warms up fast here even in the winter. There are almost as many sunny days here in Denver as there are in Florida. I've experienced 5 degrees when I went to the gym at 5am and then 55 degrees later that afternoon. Another thing I love about this area, no wind, or at least where I live and work most of the time. The windy season here is in the summer. However, areas like Parker and several others are windy even in the winter, so location does matter.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Check out RVGeeks video on installing a dedicated 20amp circuit for heating pulling power from the power pedestal power.

http://www.thervgeeks.com/electrical/dedicated-outlet/

Herb
royals1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #13

If staying put for the entire winter, skirting the underside in would be of considerable benefit. The cost to do it would probably be less than the heating bill would be without it. The floors will be warmer.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:42 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks all !

Tags
advice, winter