Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
DnG

Winterizing Entegra

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not but, what are the do's and don'ts to storing the RV for the winter. Is it ok to leave the batteries in the coach? should I leave the coach connected to shore power for the entire winter season? Should I start the coach/gen engine often? Sooo many more things with a MH compared to a trailer, the trailer was easy, run AF in the system unhook the one battery and POOF done for the year winter for me runs Nov to Apr and anywhere from -5 to -55C, any opinions and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can leave it plugged up all the better. Make sure to check the battery water levels. I leave mine plugged up ALL the time. I will put tarps around the bottom to try and cut down on wind getting under it. I also wrap some insulation around the batteries just to help keep them warm. You might even want to leave a roof vent cracked open if you have covers to keep the air from geting to stale. The best thing for the engine/Gen is to put stable in the tank let it run until they are warmed up then shut down and leave them for the winter.

Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
The best thing to do is move it to Florida for the winter with you in it! Then nothing freezes!
2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

DO NtOT put stabil in your diesel tank to protect your genny as it draws diesel directly from the main tank. Besides, the diesel has no carb. to varnish up so no worries there. However, you should run it a min. of 2 hrs. per month under half load to keep the windings dry and to let it exercise. I also never winterize mine and leave it plugged in all the time. all just my opinion.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #5

I was at my Cummins/Onan dealer today and the guy there told me to add stabilizer to me diesel tank and run both the cummins motorhome engine and the Onan generator at least 1/2 hr before turning both off for winter storage.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #6

Bill, very interesting. Good information, I had never heard that recommendation on a diesel engine before but it does make some sense. Thanks for checking and posting.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #7

First you need cold weather diesel (winterized) in the tank when storing or using keeps from gelling. Be sure to run it through all systems...engine, gen, hydrohot, etc. Diesel can be prone to alge forming especially in changing temperatures, if not stored in climate controlled enviroment. Use an additive...Lucas, etc. Most diesel additives do it all.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

Just to be very clear, the product "Sta-Bil" (reddish) and commonly available is for GASOLINE and the product "Diesel Formula Sta-Bil" (brownish) which is a rather new Sta-Bil product, is for DIESEL.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/
Old 11-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #9

The product I have on order is Pri-D. I read favourable comments on it so I figured I'd give it a try. (They also have a Pri-G which is for gas). They say it (Pri-D) increases fuel life for up to 3 years. Camping World carries it. I couldn't find it in Canada so I ordered it from US.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #10

Justa Roamer are you saying there is a coldweather diesel fuel that we should be using now ratherthan the regular diesel fuel? Having very little knowledge of this stuff I am confused.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #11

any diesel you buy at a truck stop after about the first of October is a winter blend with generous amounts of No 1 diesel added to the summer formula of No. 2 diesel. The No. 1 has a lower gel point and thus will work better for winter use.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #12

Thanks Ann n Gene. I guess we are OK then since we have added 1/4 to 1/3 tank of fuel twice since Oct 1.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also look for a stabilizer that will prohibit the growth of bacteria and algae due to the bio diesel in todays fuel. It will do great harm to your injection pump and related components.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #14

I own a gas station in MN...there are three grades up here available. #2 which is basically warm weather +30, a -15 degree product and a -30 degree product (all Fahrenhiet (sp?). You have to check with your station to see what they carry. Most carry the -15 product. If you are going to drive in cold weather - I recomend an additive such as 911 no matter what you burn - that way you don't take any chances. It is tough to un-gel a diesel out in the cold and towing a DP to a shop to un-gel it is very expensive