Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2019, 11:16 PM   #1

2019 Sprinter cruise control issue

We picked up our 19/19 U24MB on June 21 in Sacramento. Drove home to the CA Central Coast along high 5 and found the cruise control (Distronic Plus with Steering Assist) did not function consistently... The system would not always 'turn on' and when it did the system would arbitrarily stop functioning with a warning in the center screen stating 'Active Distance Assist Canceled'.
Took the Unity to the local Mercedes shop and they used an afternoon attempting to diagnose the issue with no success. Service manager took me aside and mentioned this was the first 2019 Sprinter chassis they had seen with all the goodies-- their typical Sprinter is a 2500 bare bones work horse.
Anyone else had cruise control issues on the 2019 Sprinter chassis and if yes, what was the remedy? Local Mercedes shop is sending the information collected to MB for assistance. BTW - there were no codes present.
thanks - BruceC
Bunnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We are going to wait for you to post the results when the dealer fixes it. There are not enough of these things on the road yet to get data in from owners.

Adaptive cruise control and lane keeping systems usually use two sensor systems. The adaptive cruise control utilizes a radar system (normally mounted behind the grill) and the lane keeping system utilizes an optical sensor mounted on the windshield. You could be having sensor problems or the computers that integrate these components could be having problems. These systems are new to the Sprinter but are common in Mercedes cars and a bunch of others. Even my 2019 Ford Escape has these sensor systems.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #3

We bought our Wayfarer with 2019 Sprinter chassis about a month ago. Driving it home, some 900 miles, we found it hard to consistently turn on cruise control. We were busy learning everything including the RV part, so trying to drive and figure out some of the Sprinter specific stuff was a challenge. And we had downloaded the PDF version of the manual and read it beforehand, to avoid such a problem. This weekend was the first time we were able to camp with it and we re-read the manual for the 3rd time. I specifically read how to turn on cruise control. And on the way home today gave it a try. It didn't work as stated. I then hit a bunch of buttoms and it turned on. When I tried to repeat the same thing, it didn't turn on. We are totally confused on how to reliably turn on cruise. I guess its just a new fangled thing that they need to work out the bugs on such advanced technology as cruise control. I find the quality of the owners manual and poor descriptions to be frustrating. If they only spent as much time with decent diagrams/pictures and explanations as they did with repetitive warnings and cautions, then maybe the 300 plus pages would have more content than about 100 of those pages represent.

I wanted to see if the ESP system was active and read how to do that, but when I tried it, the menu didn't show ESP or most anything else. The chassis is suppose to have all the bells and whistles.

I'll be intested in seeing what others post as we get more experience.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2020 Wayfarer RW on the new 2019 Sprinter 3500 chassis is working perfectly. I absolutely love the cruise control system. You do have to learn to use the Distrontic system properly though. The short version is:
- Turn the cruise control on - top right button
- Set the desired speed - toggle bottom center switch up
- First press sets current speed
- Additional HARD press changes speed by 5 mph
- Additional SOFT presses change speed by 1 mph
- Set the desired following distance - toggle bottom right switch up or down
- Watch display for graphic view of distance
- Cancel or resume cruise control using bottom right switch.
- When passing a speed limit sign, you can "capture" the registered speed while the speed limit sign icon on the display is flashing by toggling the bottom left button up - note the small speed limit symbol next to RES.

You can change your desired following distance at any time while the cruise control is active.

I've found the cruise control system to be very reliable and highly intuitive.

I have had the Active Brake Assist system take itself offline one time - this disables Distronic as well. This happened while I was in slow-and-go traffic in the mountains. After leaving the cruise control off for a few minutes, it became available again. I suspect this was the system deciding it was having to brake too much to both follow in traffic and brake while going steep hills.

While I'm a big fan of the cruise control, I don't always use the lane keeping system. The lane keeping system applies the brakes if you cross the line on the side of the road even a little bit. I find that bothersome, especially when traveling on curvy roads though I recognize it is a good safety feature. Active lane keeping is easily disabled via the Systems-Vehicle menu on the main screen.

The only system missing is blind spot monitoring. I get why it isn't included on the Sprinter with a upfitter installed motorhome body but it sure would be a nice touch. The mirrors are excellent though!

The driver assist and safety features on the 2019 Sprinter are amazing. Easily equal to those on the most sophisticated luxury cars.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
F14av8r,

Sounds exactly like the instructions on my Ford's cruise control. Which is easy to setup and works really well. Not sure why the others are having problems understanding how to set it up.

My lane keeping is a bit different and probably easier to use. The modes are shake and steer. I usually leave it on shake but the steer mode is just spooky as it gently directs you back into the lane.

The optical side of this technology is based on the Mobileye system which is quite good on lane keeping, following distances, capturing speed limits, controlling high beams, etc. I have the Mobileye on my 2017 Navion and think it works pretty well.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #6

Randy, thanks for your detailed instructions. I'll give that a try, although I have tried various ways in the past and with no luck. sometimes it seems to engange and other not.

The owners manual states to just use cruise control to first toggle the button on the lower right, then set speed. Your description states to turn on Distance control first, then set speed. I've tried that but it didn't seem to work. I'll follow your instructions exactly next time.

My spec sheet for the Sprinter states that it is suppose to have ESP installed, that is electronic stabilization, and the manual talks about how to bring it up on the menu to turn it on and off, but I don't see it on the menu. That also makes me wonder what is going on. If it were the other kind of ESP, maybe it would read my mind and I would have to push any buttons.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #7

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We have a 2018 and looked up ESP but everything we found was limited to the 2500. It was demonstrated (youtube video) on the MB site with a 2500 van. It worked by using the wheel brakes to counter cross winds.

Is there a new application for the ESP?
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
We have a 2018 and looked up ESP but everything we found was limited to the 2500. It was demonstrated (youtube video) on the MB site with a 2500 van. It worked by using the wheel brakes to counter cross winds.

Is there a new application for the ESP?
Out of curiosity, I "built" a 3500xd with 11,030 lb GVWR on their web site and just clicked a bunch of expensive electronics and convenience options. I didn't see any options for ESP, but the resulting summary does show load adaptive ESP (first item).

I was curious since we're now actively shopping for a Coachmen or Airstream or maybe a Midwest on the MB chassis, and DW wants the lane keeping and adaptive cruise and all that jazz, and ESP would fall under that umbrella.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MB 3500.PNG
Views:	150
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	252752  
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #9

On our 2015 Benz (View) 3500 chassis ESP (Electronic Stability Program) was linked somehow, to cruise control & wheel sensors. If a wheel sensor fails for whatever reason, you will be unable to use cruise control & get a message that ESP off/not working, your ABS system might also be affected & you'll be advised to see a service center. (At least ours did)
While the bells & whistles or "safety features" may be comforting to many owners, I often wonder if they create a false sense of security or lull the driver into being less attentive to the task at hand. Then there is the theory that they are all "one more thing to go wrong". When Benz Sprinter Service Centers are non-existent in some States, this can be another cause for concern. All those flashing messages can stress you out, when you're not sure what the issue really is & the nearest service center 500+ miles away.
Do wish the OP best of luck & that his issue is taken care of promptly.
FlaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Out of curiosity, I "built" a 3500xd with 11,030 lb GVWR on their web site and just clicked a bunch of expensive electronics and convenience options. I didn't see any options for ESP, but the resulting summary does show load adaptive ESP (first item).

I was curious since we're now actively shopping for a Coachmen or Airstream or maybe a Midwest on the MB chassis, and DW wants the lane keeping and adaptive cruise and all that jazz, and ESP would fall under that umbrella.
Don't get your hopes up for a 3500 cutaway chassis with lane keeping. Van bodies, yes, but not motorhomes. Not sure where all MB places their sensors but it is not an option on motorhomes. ESP is probably there and integrated into the chassis, adaptive cruise control is there and so on. Anyway, you don't get to select chassis options when you are buying one of these things.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2020 Wayfarer RW built on a 2019 Sprinter Chassis definitely has both ESP and Lane Assist. Here’s a link to an ESP video showing how this works. http://https://youtu.be/k8h3Kv7fU1A

Lane Assist on my motorhome will alert driver (visual, audio, steering wheel shudder) but DOES NOT control steering to keep the vehicle in the lane. That’s different from some other vehicles where the system actively steers the vehicle to keep it in the lane. The Mercedes system applies the offside brake to try and keep the vehicle in the lane - part of the ESP technology.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnz View Post
We picked up our 19/19 U24MB on June 21 in Sacramento. Drove home to the CA Central Coast along high 5 and found the cruise control (Distronic Plus with Steering Assist) did not function consistently... The system would not always 'turn on' and when it did the system would arbitrarily stop functioning with a warning in the center screen stating 'Active Distance Assist Canceled'.
Took the Unity to the local Mercedes shop and they used an afternoon attempting to diagnose the issue with no success. Service manager took me aside and mentioned this was the first 2019 Sprinter chassis they had seen with all the goodies-- their typical Sprinter is a 2500 bare bones work horse.
Anyone else had cruise control issues on the 2019 Sprinter chassis and if yes, what was the remedy? Local Mercedes shop is sending the information collected to MB for assistance. BTW - there were no codes present.
thanks - BruceC

SUCCESS !!!
Henderson Mercedes service was capable of tracking down the problem after 8 hours of diagnostics. The Distronics sensor(s) were completely out of adjustment. Recalibrated the sensors and we picked the UMB up Saturday morning. Now in Green River and after two days of driving systems worked perfect !!!
Old 07-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #13

I have to agree the 2019 owners manual sucks. I have read it several times and still can't figure somethings out.
I must admit it might be me.
I think this 2019 MB 3500 chassis is the best. I enjoy the way it drives and the way it handles. I could not be happier with this chassis performance. Just wish I could figure all the controls.
My MB dealer told me to bring it in the they will run through it with me.

I orders the upgraded suspension package from Sprinter Upgrades and will get that installed.

I have the 2019 LTV Unity FX and that is a BIG BOX on the 3500 chassis.
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #14

2019 - cruise control - back in the shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnz View Post
SUCCESS !!!
Henderson Mercedes service was capable of tracking down the problem after 8 hours of diagnostics. The Distronics sensor(s) were completely out of adjustment. Recalibrated the sensors and we picked the UMB up Saturday morning. Now in Green River and after two days of driving systems worked perfect !!!
Well, it appears I spoke too soon. We had 6 additional days of perfect operation and then back to square one. Erratic behavior, the cruise works for various lengths of time and then cannot even be 'set' . It now appears the driver seat occupied sensor may be involved. If I change my position even slightly when the cruise has engaged, the cruise will shut off with the warning on the center screen: Active Distance Assist Canceled.
Now back in another Mercedes Benz dealer shop, this one in Fresno. After four days, they were stumped and asked to keep the Unity. They have sent an inquiry to the 'mother ship' and told me it may take a week for Germany to respond. Fresno MB did provide me a loaner... :-)
Anyone else know of a similar issue with the 2019 MB chassis?

Tags
cruise control