RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2019 View or not?

Seriously considering purchasing a "new" 2019 Winnebago View. First owner bought new but due to unforeseen family health reasons has to sell. The MH only has about 2100 miles on the chassis. My problem is that the VIN indicates that the chassis is a 2017 Sprinter 3500.

The MH was purchased at the beginning of Dec. 2018. So what I suspect is that Winnebago was still working down their 2017 MB chassis inventory when the unit was manufactured. Looking back through operators manuals from 2017 -2019, I find that the unit has components from all three model years, so it's really some kind of hybrid.

It's really confusing and I'm not sure what year the unit really is.

LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #2

This is very common. Most motorhomes are on a previous years chassis.

Both my current and old coach were on previous years chassis.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #3

As stated many motorhome manufacturers use a previous years chassis to build the most current year coach. But can understand your hesitance since this is a 2019 on a 2017 chassis that appears to have features of a 2017, 2018 & 2019 chassis. On some of the things, which are controlled by the chassis' brain/computer as long as all is up to date would hope everything should be okay.
A few other things to note about the Views (we'd had a 2015) is to watch your carry capacity as some have a rather low cargo carry weight. Also, assuming your shown location correct, if you are going to want to use Mercedes for routine service (& of course warranty work) Winnebago has a pdf available on the locations of Mercedes SPRINTER dealers/service centers. For you your options would appear to be Tallahassee, Fl., or Hoover (B'ham), Ala. We got to know our "local" Mercedes dealer better than we'd wanted to & got to visit others in States we were traveling in. While our chassis may have been the oddity (the Winnebago coach was great) we would never consider another coach on a Mercedes chassis.
FlaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #4

My 2018 Navion is on a 2017 chassis. It seems OK to me.

I didn't think there were many differences between the 2017-2019 MB chassis' under the View/Navions except the 2019 might have been built on a stripped down VS30 chassis, but I couldn't tell you that for sure. Mine's an NCV3 chassis.
Winnebago didn't upgrade the chassis options until the 2020 model year, afaik. They pretty much went with a more well equipped MB chassis right from the factory and did away with some of the 3rd party stuff they added to predecessor model years. Like the MB lane/driving monitoring stuff instead of the Mobile Eye, and the MBUX infotainment/camera unit, instead of the X-ite thing.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #5

If you buy it. Get it serviced. Two year or 20 k miles. You are at the second year. Service A at a Mercedes dealer. The 2015 through 2019 are the same. WGO made changes through out this period. I would make sure to get it for a good price as the 20 have many upgrades, 7 Speed transmission,.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAT-LON View Post
Seriously considering purchasing a "new" 2019 Winnebago View. First owner bought new but due to unforeseen family health reasons has to sell. The MH only has about 2100 miles on the chassis. My problem is that the VIN indicates that the chassis is a 2017 Sprinter 3500.

The MH was purchased at the beginning of Dec. 2018. So what I suspect is that Winnebago was still working down their 2017 MB chassis inventory when the unit was manufactured. Looking back through operators manuals from 2017 -2019, I find that the unit has components from all three model years, so it's really some kind of hybrid.

Skip anything short of a 2019 Sprinter chassis. There was a huge update from 2018 to 2019 on the Sprinter. The 2019+ have a wealth of convenience and safety features that greatly enhance the value of your motorhome. Used buyers will be looking for those in the Winnebago and Tiffin lines especially.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #7

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We have a 2018 Jayco on a 2016 chassis. After driving 22K miles I can say that any improvements would be welcome but I'm not a big fan of "New for the sake of New" mindset. Too often, vehicles are upgraded with features that are marginal in function and suspect as far as reliability. I'm old school and a good spot mirror does all it needs to do and almost never seems to malfunction. I wish they would put knobs back on the radio so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to adjust the volume or change channels.

As far as maintenance: We have changed our oil at 10K instead of 20K (yearly) and heard from MB that as long as we kept good records of what service was performed the warranty would be honored. Oil change is rather easy and NAPA sells the correct oil and filter. You will need to order an oil filter cap wrench since nobody seems to have them in stock at the usual neighborhood parts store. Last service we did have the fuel filter changed by the dealer because we didn't know what actual filter was used on our vehicle (there are three offered). And as others have said, fill you fluids before you go in for service unless you want to pay MB prices for DEF fluid and washer fluid.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
was at the factory earlier this year could not believe how many chassis they had just sitting on the factory tour all over 1000's tour said they get so many cause it takes 6 months to receive them.
ford chassis they can change merc. they can not cut weld ect.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the comments. Was able to thoroughly check out all of the systems on the MH and everything checked out fine. Have decided to make the purchase. Stepping down from a 32' class A will be an adjustment, but it will allow us to visit smaller parks with less hassle. One curious think about the 2020 models. MB added more air bags in the cabin area. This meant that the accordion privacy shades were removed. What made things worse is that Winnebago never designed in anything for replacement. When I asked tech support, I never got an answer. The shades in the 2019 unit were a real plus for this coach.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. Was able to thoroughly check out all of the systems on the MH and everything checked out fine. Have decided to make the purchase. Stepping down from a 32' class A will be an adjustment, but it will allow us to visit smaller parks with less hassle. One curious think about the 2020 models. MB added more air bags in the cabin area. This meant that the accordion privacy shades were removed. What made things worse is that Winnebago never designed in anything for replacement. When I asked tech support, I never got an answer. The shades in the 2019 unit were a real plus for this coach.
We hardly ever use them.
I prefer a simple collapsible sun shade. Quicker and easier to deploy and stow.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
<snip> And as others have said, fill you fluids before you go in for service unless you want to pay MB prices for DEF fluid and washer fluid.

MB didn't mess with DEF, but did charge me $6 to top off the washer fluid.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:06 AM   #12

2019 View or Not?

Quote:

Yes it does get confusing on what your State DMV will issue as year of be.

If you want to see what MBZ supplied as a Cut-Away Chassis on your specific unit, use this link to input the Chassis VIN (hopefully the link post works):

https://www.lastvin.com/

This works with the Chassis VIN in the windshield.

LucasCali
LucasCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the link. It worked well.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #14

Quote:
We use those shades all the time, so we certainly would miss them on the newer model...

mark103 is offline   Reply With Quote