Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2017, 05:15 AM   #1

3 dash lights on intermittently

2013 sprinter with 36000 miles. last to go wrong were the 02 sensors and DEF heating element. Now I have 3 service/warning lights coming on, (ABS, traction control and sway control). these lights came on for a while and after letting the MH sit over night and restarting, they were off. At least until I started driving. They came back on after about 100 miles. after stopping for fuel and restarting they were off again. Then after about 5 miles the lights returned. When checking the service manual it says it can be a serious or non serious problem. When the lights were on I had no cruise control and the transmission seamed to be very slow at downshifting when climbing or slowing to make a turn. was on a 2400 mile trip and decided to go forth due to no problems with the braking system or loss of power as the manual says might occur.
Anyway, long story short, my question is have any of you experienced this problem, and if so what was the cause/solution?
I have made an appointment with MB for service/repair. Will let ya'll know the outcome.
Also, I seem to only be averaging 10.7 MPG the entire trip.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

Is that 10.7 towing the Fit? I tow a Sonic Hatchback and am averaging about 14 towing and over 16 non-towing.

But I have no idea on the warning lights.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Is that 10.7 towing the Fit? I tow a Sonic Hatchback and am averaging about 14 towing and over 16 non-towing.

But I have no idea on the warning lights.
Actually, I was towing 2 motorcycles at the time which was a total of about 3000 pounds including the trailer. However, It should not have affected the fuel mileage that much. When towing the Fit I average around 14 as well. I'm gonna bring that up to the dealer as well.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:49 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll take a WAG (wild a$$ guess). Based on the problems in particular the loss of cruise control, poor transmission shifting and poor fuel mileage it sounds like a transmission speed sensor isn't happy. Which one, I have no idea. The three fault lights ABS, traction control and sway control are also related to speed or wheel rotation. The problem the dealership might have finding the fault is it appears to be intermittent. You might need to take a tech for a ride with a high end code reader interfacing with the power train waiting of the fault lights to show up.

Do one quick test next time you headed down the road. Results will probably be inconclusive but check of how accurate the speedometer and odometer are against GPS and highway mile markers.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I'll take a WAG (wild a$$ guess). Based on the problems in particular the loss of cruise control, poor transmission shifting and poor fuel mileage it sounds like a transmission speed sensor isn't happy. Which one, I have no idea. The three fault lights ABS, traction control and sway control are also related to speed or wheel rotation. The problem the dealership might have finding the fault is it appears to be intermittent. You might need to take a tech for a ride with a high end code reader interfacing with the power train waiting of the fault lights to show up.

Do one quick test next time you headed down the road. Results will probably be inconclusive but check of how accurate the speedometer and odometer are against GPS and highway mile markers.
Thanks for the response. I did the GPS check for speed accuracy. It was slightly off (1 mph), however, these vehicles, like most, aren't certified calibrated. Therefore, a couple mph difference is to be expected.
I'm hoping the mechanic at the dealer is well versed with the sprinter problems.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Just encountered the same problem last month. On trip to Tennessee for the eclipse, same 3 lights came on and would reset on restart (most times).
With anti-skid inopp the computer drops cruise control as wheel lockup can occur with hard braking.
Got an appointment with Christopher Trucks (Freightliner) in Piedmont, SC -they replaced a wheel sensor under Mercedes warranty and solved the problem. Lights were not on when I arrived there but "multiple faults for Right Rear wheel sensor" were stored in the computer. Did not seem to affect mileage or trans. shifting.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Just encountered the same problem last month. On trip to Tennessee for the eclipse, same 3 lights came on and would reset on restart (most times).
With anti-skid inopp the computer drops cruise control as wheel lockup can occur with hard braking.
Got an appointment with Christopher Trucks (Freightliner) in Piedmont, SC -they replaced a wheel sensor under Mercedes warranty and solved the problem. Lights were not on when I arrived there but "multiple faults for Right Rear wheel sensor" were stored in the computer. Did not seem to affect mileage or trans. shifting.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm hoping that's all it is and that it will also be covered under emissions warranty.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Repair did not take very long. I took the photo to show the technician since it was intermittent. I also had the fuel filter replaced while I was there, it was due. (annually)
Old 10-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbo53 View Post
2013 sprinter with 36000 miles. last to go wrong were the 02 sensors and DEF heating element. Now I have 3 service/warning lights coming on, (ABS, traction control and sway control). these lights came on for a while and after letting the MH sit over night and restarting, they were off. At least until I started driving. They came back on after about 100 miles. after stopping for fuel and restarting they were off again. Then after about 5 miles the lights returned. When checking the service manual it says it can be a serious or non serious problem. When the lights were on I had no cruise control and the transmission seamed to be very slow at downshifting when climbing or slowing to make a turn. was on a 2400 mile trip and decided to go forth due to no problems with the braking system or loss of power as the manual says might occur.
Anyway, long story short, my question is have any of you experienced this problem, and if so what was the cause/solution?
I have made an appointment with MB for service/repair. Will let ya'll know the outcome.

I get the stability control light at times on strong-gusty crosswinds but always goes away until I encounter the same again. It is always strong enough winds to move me around quite a bit. Never otherwise however. My manual does state that this could be an issue.
Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:19 AM   #10

Ended up being the right rear wheel sensor. I was informed by the MB tech that this is a common problem for the sprinters. Was all repaired under warranty.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyteach View Post
I get the stability control light at times on strong-gusty crosswinds but always goes away until I encounter the same again. It is always strong enough winds to move me around quite a bit. Never otherwise however. My manual does state that this could be an issue.
Had that with strong crosswind, light came on as RV "lurched?" --Then back to normal... Tech said the computer recognized wheel turned into the wind and not turning as a skid and corrected with differential braking. ( I'd rather do that myself thank you!)
Old 01-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #12

"The Three Stooges"

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbo53 View Post
We have a 2013 MB Chassis under our Thor 24ft Siesta Class C. We have had 6 Wheel sensors replaced under warranty and now call these 3 lights "The Three Stooges". Last week the stooges returned and just before they do the engine races, the ABS brake control system start pulsing and the transmission up-shifts, driving gets pretty "hairy" for about 60 seconds.

We now have > 50K on it so I'm not sure warranty will cover another replacement. I contacted our MB Sprinter service guy and he said they might be still be covered. In any event, found them for about $60 each online, one screw to replace. Researching the issue I found that there might be metal dust accumulating on the sensors from the metal brake pads/shoes.

It just does not make sense for these to be failing like this. I'm going to pull the wheels and drums off the back to inspect the wear on the pads and see if the sensors need cleaning off. The stooges went off on there own on a short trip but came back after about 200 miles so it makes sense they could be dirty.
Wizbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, light, lights