Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

Advantage/disadvantage Mercedes Benz diesel

Carrying/tow capacity, handling, etc

On all brands class C's
lincoln30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #2

I can only comment on the '04 Sprinter we had the orignial inline 5 cylinder a work of art in every respect with the single rears we could get in the upper 20's, usually 28mpg or so, in the 50k miles we put on it there was not a drop of oil used between the 4k changes I did with syn oil. But hook up even a small utility trailer and the mileage took a nosedive to 16 or so. The highest ever obtained was 31 BUT, we lost the blower as were were passing Detroit, and as a result it was a very, very long trip home; probably averaged 40 mph and there were many hills that I was surprised we made it over. Its amazing what the turbo adds to performance.
Those mileage numbers were always calculated by filling to a visual level in the filler neck.

As far as the Leisure Travel Conversion, ok but not great; some workmanship was pretty dicey.

From what I hear as soon as you add the dual rears you're into the high teens to very low 20's and when MB went to the V6 the mileage lost another 2 or so .

Generally speaking you really have to watch the occ numbers with these, I think with the LTV we had 1200lbs or so but that was the very rare exception. For example the Coach House on the Sprinter chasis is in the 500lb occ or so I am told. As a general rule plan on the chasis being maxed out completely if you are -lucky-.

Find the I5 and if you don't mind driving at modest but dignified velocities you will be very please with the engine if it was taken care of.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I owned a 2002 Sprinter for 8 years for hauling race bikes plus pulling a 27' TT the last year I had it. I spent a lot of time on the Sprinter forums-
Sprinter - Sprinter-Forum Concerning the I-5 engine, aka T1N, go into the database section, "Inspection tips for buying a used T1N"
Inspection tips for buying a used Sprinter T1N - Sprinter-Forum Read all, but especially "Injector hold down failure and black death leakage." Click the link for that subject. The author,Doctor A, is the Sprinter guru. Sometimes he knows more about the Sprinter than MB does.
ahrma175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #4

ahrma, I also spent some time on the Sprinter forum, was a good site. As I recall many were posting about the dreaded transmission rumble, if ours had it we never noticed the issue. Perhaps we were the exception but the I 5 was the finest engine we have ever owned. The only problems we had was the steering hydraulic cylinder went, $1,200 and as, mentioned we lost the blower ; turned out to be the vacuum control for the turbo failed-both of these were covered under warranty.

The only issue I have heard of with the year you had was with the brakes, and as I understand the problem was solved when MB went with larger wheels.

Ours was one amazing van, oil analysis always came back with metal wear levels so low that the lab would comment on what an exceptional engine it was.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

My 2007/8 Forest River Berkshire 36QS has a Mercedes Benz diesel. This appears to be a unicorn, as I’ve seen no info or discussion regarding this power house.
Issues, changing air filters, software, tranny, or any discussion. Am I alone?
Gershar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Advantages great mileage. Plenty of power in the mountains. Handling like a van. Easy to park anywhere.

Things to consider not necessarily disadvantages. Most folks add some suspension mods to improve rocking off of uneven surfaces and movement from passing trucks. Helwig Sway Bar, Sumo Springs or Agile Fox Shocks.

Follow service recommendations and use only approved oil. Avoid Bio-Diesel it does not like it.

20,000 miles on mine and I love it.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #7

Is the OP referring to new?, used?, and if so how old?

There are two major varieties of Sprinter Class C MH's. The early ones were the Winnebago/Itasca View/Navion, on the T1N chassis (158 inch wheelbase) (chassis years up thru and including 2006 and coach years including 2007) and the Gulfstream Vista Mini Cruiser also on the same T1N chassis. This is the inline 5 cylinder CDI engine (2.7L), and the models are easily spotted by the one rather wide vent in the top of the hood for fresh air to the A/C-Heater.

Beginning with 2007 chassis years, the NCV3 chassis had a 12 inch longer wheelbase (170 inch) and the V6 turbo diesel CDI (3.0L). These are identified by the hood having two separate vents at the top. 2007 and 2008 Chassis do not use DEF but have a lower HP rating than later years.

Both variants use a long in the tooth, 5 speed electronic controlled automatic transmission first introduced in 1996 by MB. The same basic transmission is found in many different autos, Jeep GC, Chrysler 300, Jaguar, Porsche, to name a few. The model used in the T1N is the weakest one possible (save for the one used in the Crossfire) and has a history of a high failure rate before 100K mi., usually the lockup clutch in the torque converter. In vans carrying much less load than a Class C, the transmission has been known to go 500,000 miles.

Charles
Old 10-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gershar View Post
My 2007/8 Forest River Berkshire 36QS has a Mercedes Benz diesel. This appears to be a unicorn, as I’ve seen no info or discussion regarding this power house.
Issues, changing air filters, software, tranny, or any discussion. Am I alone?
Probably a Freightliner Custom Chassis, which is owned by MB, (MB has owned Freightliner since they bought them from White Truck Co about 1968) Your Berkshire probably has a MB rear axle in it also. What transmission does it have? The custom chassis division is a result of the Freightliner acquisition of the old John Deere/Oshkosh MH chassis company.

Charles
Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln30 View Post

On all brands class C's

LOL looks like the beginning of a "Home Adviser" comercial!
Old 10-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln30 View Post

On all brands class C's
The Sprinter chassis has the same GVWR and GCWR on all brands of coaches. OCCC varies based on how light a manufacturer can build.

Did you still have a question?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #11

You'all aware the OP posted this back in 2011, and hasen't posted anything since 2012???
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
No, I sure didn't see it. But all it takes is one person (a newbie in this case) to answer it and people start responding.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mercedes-Benz is Ditching Diesel in the U.S. - The Drive

No more Mercedes Diesel cars. Will the Sprint be next?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #14

My 2008 12 ton 2008 Berkshire DP has a MB330 7.21liter engine. I had a new 2014 and was disappointed in the power and interior size of my Navion. I was jaded by the size and power of my Itasca Sunflyer. My original shout out was to find a set of owner manuals that were missing, digital or digital. It only has 35 hundred miles on it and not being new to big rigs, I know the need to “know your RV”. It certainly helps to avoid frustration and misuse. Thanks for the posts folks.
Gershar is offline   Reply With Quote