Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #1

Advice to New MB Purchasers

So I am the proud owner of a 2019 Jayco Melbourne Prestige 24LP and wanted to throw this advice/warning to future purchasers of the MB Sprinters. Do not assume your rig come with all the safety features that the MB Sprinter is reported to have as the coach makers buy the cheapest chasis they can.

As I was researching different RV's to purchase I read in many places that an advantage of the MB Sprinter was the safety features; specifically I read lane keep assist, collision avoidance, and blind spot monitoring. I assumed, my mistake, that they were all equipped that way, after all why would a high end brand like MB put out a less than stellar product? Well on my RV orientation there were a lot of blank buttons in my center console and when I read the owner's manual I started to think maybe I did not have all those features as my buttons are blank. So a call to the MB number today resulted in them sending me a copy of the features page for my unit which confirmed I do not have any of the safety features. Their customer service is great, if you are considering buying anything on a MB Sprinter chassis call them first and get the feature sheet (may not be the correct term, sorry) listing all the items on the unit. Also good to check to see if your warranty has started running also (due to the 18 months post production date).

So bottom line I am disappointed but then these RV manufacturers screw the consumer at every possibility so I need move on. But then these features are not quite such a big deal as this is not a daily driver. Good luck to future buyers, just check this angle out before you sign anything.
Idahokent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 PM   #2

Thank you for that tid bit.

Yeah dealers advertise all kinds of candy, but usually are always options or packages and usually very expensive.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #3

What year is your chasis? I would think that the manufacturers would use up old inventory before using the new 2019 chasis with the new features.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
What year is your chasis? I would think that the manufacturers would use up old inventory before using the new 2019 chasis with the new features.

AudiDudi brings up a valid point. The model year of an RV is almost always. A year later(or more) than the model year of the chassis. A 2019 RV would be on a 2018 or earlier chassis. My 2016 Era is on 2015 Mercedes chassis. Since production of the chassis down in SC is just now getting out, suspect his chassis is German made and not a 2019.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your new coach is sitting on a Mercedes truck chassis, not a $60,000 sedan. Why should it be any different than any other truck chassis? Yes, Mercedes offers some of these features on Sprinter vans but your coach is built on what is known as a cutaway chassis which typically is pretty bare.

My coach is equipped with lane keeping/collision avoidance but it was an option (third party) that was offered by my coach builder.

The best things you do have are air bags and anti-lock brakes. Those are essential, everything else is nice to have.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #6

The MB is a model year 2018, fyi. Luvlabs you have valid points but the Tiffin Wayfarer is built on the same platform and does include many of the safety features I do not have. Perhaps that was part of why I assumed my Jayco would have them as the Tiffin was the other coach I was looking at. But as I originally wrote I am disappointed I did not dig a little deeper as to what the coach has. Because it is built on the 3500 platform it is considered a truck and that is why it does not even come with a built in TPMS system; this surprised me but that is what the MB folks told me.
Idahokent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Advice to New MB Purchasers

It is a truck ( van) chassis that can be ordered in many ways. And yes even today ,Most delivery truck box converters don’t care about all that stuff and don’t order it or want it so the base truck doesn’t have it. MB “offers” it to the motorhome and passenger van market with all those goodies,yes . Jayco , not known for high end , ordered a stripped chassis evidently. Yes they still make them that way ad that’s probably the bulk of their business . That is how a motorhome converter can get a lower pricepoint or more profit depending on how you view it and it was presented.
You make a good point to not assume all motorhome makers are the same and ask the manufacturer Or observe the unit carefully as not all sprinters are the same from converter to converter.

Tags
advice, purchase