Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Alignment Shop Options

We've had our new View for about two weeks and have done one weekend shakedown trip to identify any warranty needs, etc.

We found nothing wrong but I want to get our Sprinter RV aligned. Is this something I can trust my local Les Schwab with or do I need to take it to a Mercedes dealer?
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #2

What a conundrum!
Wondering about your alignment issue? There was an interesting forum post on "camber adjustment" the other day linked to a long haulers forum, good read.
We followed a similar rig as yours a hundred miles the other day and it appeared to be on rails, although it was excellent concrete interstate.
We have the highest regard for Les Schwab stores, won't bore you with the tales.
I feel like that as popular as those Sprinter chassis' are LS would be a good 1st choice. Or they have the integrity to tell you that you might be better off going to a specialized service, where ever, quiz them.
MB would be my last choice, but that's me.

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
What a conundrum!
Wondering about your alignment issue? There was an interesting forum post on "camber adjustment" the other day linked to a long haulers forum, good read.
We followed a similar rig as yours a hundred miles the other day and it appeared to be on rails, although it was excellent concrete interstate.
We have the highest regard for Les Schwab stores, won't bore you with the tales.
I feel like that as popular as those Sprinter chassis' are LS would be a good 1st choice. Or they have the integrity to tell you that you might be better off going to a specialized service, where ever, quiz them.
MB would be my last choice, but that's me.

Be well.

Thanks.

There are several threads pointing out (along with the owners manual) that View/Navion coaches should be aligned by the owner after being loading up.

Not interested in shredding the tires a few weeks after bringing it home from the dealership, and we're heading out on 3,500 mile trip at the end of the month.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

As a general response statement Les Schwab should be able to do it!
The real question revolves around the alignment machine at the shop in question and the programs stored in the machine that will encompass the later model Sprinter platform you have!
Then obviously will it (your Sprinter RV) fit onto the alignment machine hoist rails!
Some alignment machine are not built to take long wheelbase vehicles.
A quick phone call is often the answer and simply ask if they can do it before lugging the rig across town only to be told "we can't do that"!

Practically speaking the strut to knuckle has a slotted fixture and cam flanged bolts to adjust the camber! Then of course the toe will be affected and that will need to be altered as a consequence.
As a foot note there are camber adjustment kits available from Napa "should" you not get camber compliance. These come in two iterations of special cam flange bolts i.e. up to 1 degree and up to 3 degrees!
Hope that helps
Dennis
mechanic
lindenengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengine View Post
As a general response statement Les Schwab should be able to do it!
The real question revolves around the alignment machine at the shop in question and the programs stored in the machine that will encompass the later model Sprinter platform you have!
Then obviously will it (your Sprinter RV) fit onto the alignment machine hoist rails!
Some alignment machine are not built to take long wheelbase vehicles.
A quick phone call is often the answer and simply ask if they can do it before lugging the rig across town only to be told "we can't do that"!

Practically speaking the strut to knuckle has a slotted fixture and cam flanged bolts to adjust the camber! Then of course the toe will be affected and that will need to be altered as a consequence.
As a foot note there are camber adjustment kits available from Napa "should" you not get camber compliance. These come in two iterations of special cam flange bolts i.e. up to 1 degree and up to 3 degrees!
Hope that helps
Dennis
mechanic
Thanks Dennis. I did call them. The guy on the phone said they could do the work. I've heard this from mechanics before however. Better to hear from the owners, right? Respectfully, past F-16 Fighting Falcon mechanic; hydraulics, pneudraulics, jet engines, airframe.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #6

Thanks for your service to our glorious country!
Also having worked in the aerospace industry, & DoD for decades. I can't help but draw on mental images of sleek billet aluminum spars, argon charged gyros, iridium mirrored optics, and carbon fiber control surfaces. Then there's the RV industry somewhat akin to, well remember Fred Flintstones cross-over SUV? May your tires time-out long before getting to the wear indicators.
Be well.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Thanks for your service to our glorious country!
Also having worked in the aerospace industry, & DoD for decades. I can't help but draw on mental images of sleek billet aluminum spars, argon charged gyros, iridium mirrored optics, and carbon fiber control surfaces. Then there's the RV industry somewhat akin to, well remember Fred Flintstones cross-over SUV? May your tires time-out long before getting to the wear indicators.
Be well.
Cool.

Everything is a bit Fred Flintstone after flying in the Viper. Max climbs, pulling 8+ Gs, IFEs, accident investigations. Hmmm, the tolerances and iridium optics escaped me there for a minute. Yep, after decades in the USAF, I miss certain aspects of precision. (Well, my electric BMW is pretty well engineered.) Speaking of...

Steering was a tad aloof on the interstate during our shakedown trip in the View. Hoping an alignment will dial that in. Sprinter+Les Schwab anyone?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post
Cool.

Everything is a bit Fred Flintstone after flying in the Viper. Max climbs, pulling 8+ Gs, IFEs, accident investigations. Hmmm, the tolerances and iridium optics escaped me there for a minute. Yep, after decades in the USAF, I miss certain aspects of precision. (Well, my electric BMW is pretty well engineered.) Speaking of...

Steering was a tad aloof on the interstate during our shakedown trip in the View. Hoping an alignment will dial that in. Sprinter+Les Schwab anyone?
Well if you like the amalgam of aero and auto then take look at this video of engineering perfection
The Hispano Suiza of Spad WW1 fighter fame1
Dennis

Old 08-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
We've had our new View for about two weeks and have done one weekend shakedown trip to identify any warranty needs, etc.

We found nothing wrong but I want to get our Sprinter RV aligned. Is this something I can trust my local Les Schwab with or do I need to take it to a Mercedes dealer?
There should be no problem with having your Sprinter alignment at any qualified alignment center. This is not something that requires Mercedes to do the alignment, nothing requiring Mercedes specialize tools.

I have not had any issues with Mercedes or Freightliner performing maintenance on my Sprinters.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #10

Les Schwab was recommended to me by a local owner of a Navion (don't think they did an alignment for him though) but I wasn't sold on the idea.

I called a few local RV sales and service places and each one recommended the same collision shop about 40 minutes away. Called them up and they were doing an alignment on another 2017 View/Navion that day, and I set an appointment.

Their initial quote is about $250, which seems high, but what do I know. I have little choice in my area. Either get it aligned there the day before heading out on a 3,000 mile trip, or head out on the trip without an alignment.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Les Schwab was recommended to me by a local owner of a Navion (don't think they did an alignment for him though) but I wasn't sold on the idea.

I called a few local RV sales and service places and each one recommended the same collision shop about 40 minutes away. Called them up and they were doing an alignment on another 2017 View/Navion that day, and I set an appointment.

Their initial quote is about $250, which seems high, but what do I know. I have little choice in my area. Either get it aligned there the day before heading out on a 3,000 mile trip, or head out on the trip without an alignment.
Hmm a bit spendy but if they are the only gig in town then that will explain the higher tariff!
I usually pay about $100 on average for Sprinters either cargo or RV, and almost every van that come through the shop for either major service work or some front end repairs gets aligned by one of two shops I use on Colfax St in Lakewood (Denver Metro).
Dennis
Mechanic
Old 08-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
There should be no problem with having your Sprinter alignment at any qualified alignment center. This is not something that requires Mercedes to do the alignment, nothing requiring Mercedes specialize tools.

I have not had any issues with Mercedes or Freightliner performing maintenance on my Sprinters.
So I am very curious how you know this ?
I work at a Ford dealer in the truck shop and we work on all brands.
I have aligned a couple of these Mercedes units and found very little info on the proper settings or adjustments.
Are you talking just toe settings ?
Would like to know for next one that comes in.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRG07 View Post
So I am very curious how you know this ?
I work at a Ford dealer in the truck shop and we work on all brands.
I have aligned a couple of these Mercedes units and found very little info on the proper settings or adjustments.
Are you talking just toe settings ?
Would like to know for next one that comes in.
Well there is plenty of info on subscription sites like Snap On Shop Key or MB's own WIS System & Identifix.

What Shop Info system are you using in the shop where you work?
I ask this because it is in Automotive /Light duty Shop Key info whereas being a truck shop you might have medium /heavy truck systems info only.
Cheers Dennis
Mechanic & Shop Owner
Old 08-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #14

Alignment Shop Options

I have a 2016 Navion that was not correctly aligned at the factory due to a calibration issue. While not related to your question Winnebago paid for new front tires and an alignment. I went to my local Les Schwab dealer in Sisters, Oregon and the Owners is also an RVer.

He said while his shop could do some RV's, because of the vehicle weight and complexity it was better to take it to a shop that specialized in RV's and trucks. The shop he recommended did great work and I will return there every two years for what should be just a quick check.

Thom
2016 Navion V
Oregon
gregb2781 is offline   Reply With Quote