RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #1

Central locking issue 2015 Navion

My passenger door and coach doors stopped working with key fob. Drivers door works correctly. I read on a forum that the 2014/2015 Navion had an issue with central locking controllers failing. I also read that Winnebago had installed a relay kit to circuits to reduce the current load to solve the problem. I called Winnebago tech support. I spoke with a nice young man but he had no knowledge of the problem and had forwarded some wiring information I requested that was of no use to me.

Does anyone have any knowledge on a modification kit for the central locking circuits or any experience on solving this problem?

Iím very reluctant to have Mercedes Benz replace the locking controller if there is a strong likelihood of another failure because an upgrade may be needed to prevent failure.

Information would be most appreciated.

John

shellback2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
Member since 2005

Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure if it would affect both doors but ensure the gold contacts on the hinge and door side of the coach door are clean, brillo pad or steel wool works.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

Confused.... are you saying the cab doors work but not the coach door?

I'm 99.99% sure the under the "upfitting" rules that WBGO would not tinker with the Sprinter electronics & lock system. They would add a circuit that operates off the Sprinters system to operate the coach door. If the coach door is not working...two things to check.

The contactors on the leading edge of the door may be dirty. Take a pencil eraser and buff them up. Next.... it is possible that one or both contactors are are out of adjustment.

The plungers in the door are spring loaded to extend and retract as the door opens and closes. The tension on the plunger is adjusted with a nut on back side of the plunger. There is a jam nut to lock it in position. Wires from the end of the plunger to the lock solenoid.

Access to the "guts" is by a small removable panel on the door.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:57 PM   #4

Thank you for the response. The drivers door lock works with the key fob. The passenger door and the coach door do not work. I am familiar with the coach door contacts being a likely cause if the coach door lock does not work. In this case both the passenger door and the coach door stopped working.
I have read of cases on old threads on google searches on 2014 and 15 Navion/view central locking controller failure where the circuit for the passenger door and coach door fail to operate. The problem required replacing the sprinter central locking module. There was also a reference to a modification to the coach circuitry that WBGO made that most likely used a relay in the circuit to reduce current draw on the control module. Unfortunately I wasnít able to find any more information than a description of the problem and a general description of the problem with no details
Iím having my passenger air bag update done on Friday hopefully I may learn more about what the locking controller replacement will cost.
It certainly wouldnít hurt to double check my coach door contacts and check for any voltage at the contacts when the locks are activated.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

John
shellback2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellback2 View Post
Thank you for the response. The drivers door lock works with the key fob. The passenger door and the coach door do not work. I am familiar with the coach door contacts being a likely cause if the coach door lock does not work. In this case both the passenger door and the coach door stopped working.
I have read of cases on old threads on google searches on 2014 and 15 Navion/view central locking controller failure where the circuit for the passenger door and coach door fail to operate. The problem required replacing the sprinter central locking module. There was also a reference to a modification to the coach circuitry that WBGO made that most likely used a relay in the circuit to reduce current draw on the control module. Unfortunately I wasnít able to find any more information than a description of the problem and a general description of the problem with no details
Iím having my passenger air bag update done on Friday hopefully I may learn more about what the locking controller replacement will cost.
It certainly wouldnít hurt to double check my coach door contacts and check for any voltage at the contacts when the locks are activated.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

John

John, sorry I canít point you to an easy fix, but I have experienced the same failure on my 215 WBGO View. When I checked into the fix, it required a repair by Mercedes, followed by a ďfixĒ by Winnebago. As the cost was high, (I donít remember the quote), and not covered by warranty, I opted to live with it. The upside is that it has trained me to check all of the door locks as I leave rather than relying on the electronics.

I will follow this thread to see if there is an easy fix.