RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 11:11 PM   #1

Compressor refrigerator in Sprinter motorhomes?

It appears many of the new Winnebago Sprinter based motorhomes are using a compressor refrigerator. For those who have this type of refrigerator, how noisy are they in a small motorhome? In my case with our 2016 Itasca 24J the refrigerator is at the foot of the bed. Also how about dry camping? Will one 100 watt solar panel and two Trojan T105 batteries keep up with the power demands? All input and advice is appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 05:07 AM   #2

I am just changing out my Dometic 8555 for a compressor Refrigerator so I'll have to update this after I have time to use it. It should be about the same draw or possiblity less on my batteries since I had to run so many extra fans with my Dometic to aide it in cooling. It drew 10+amps, this compressor model should only draw about 6 amp when compressor is running. I'm installing an Isotherm Cruise 219 with 7.8cuft.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
It appears many of the new Winnebago Sprinter based motorhomes are using a compressor refrigerator. For those who have this type of refrigerator, how noisy are they in a small motorhome? In my case with our 2016 Itasca 24J the refrigerator is at the foot of the bed. Also how about dry camping? Will one 100 watt solar panel and two Trojan T105 batteries keep up with the power demands? All input and advice is appreciated.
It's quieter than the engine and louder than silence. Actually, it's quiet when the compressor isn't running, and barely audible when it is.

I have the stock Napa FLA batteries and they seem to be able to handle the load, but it's probably a borderline situation, and depends on all the variables being in sync. When they die, I'm going lithium.

You can never have enough battery capacity and solar charging. I added a 3rd panel for a total of 300W up top. I'm sure it helps replenish what the fridge and the rest of it pull out of the batteries.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:49 AM   #4

Went from a diesel pusher to a Navion 24D 6 months ago. One of the things I REALLY like about the coach is the compressor fridge. Do not have to worry about being perfectly level - very quiet operation - starts up fast (no overnight startup with fridge fans) - works off solar - no extra vent hole in the roof. Best thing is works like your home fridge... hard ice cream, cold beers... definite improvement IMO over the old fridges...
mark103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, motorhome, motorhomes, refrigerator