Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #1

DEF ON Def Off notice

Last week I got into my Winnebago Via and it has an information cluster with several different button ( Mercedes Sprinter) that activate different messages. To my shock I looked and it said DEF ON and then DEF OFF. I push the plus and minus on the steering wheel and it varied between off and on. I was very surprised to the point of asking my wife if I was seeing things. The perplexing factor is that I tried for the last week with the key out , in, starting, everything I could think of and I was not able to reproduce that message. When you change your oil it is quite complex to reset the next oil change. Maybe there is a procedure to bring up DEF ON DEF OFF. Can anyone explain this or tell me what is is all about ? 2012 Motorhome on 2011 chassis

Thank you in advance for your responses.
brianjoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 04:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have never heard of this. Of course DEF is required for the emission system. Perhaps this is something a dealer can do for diagnostics. I would suggest calling MB since I doubt a dealer would know.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjoan View Post
Last week I got into my Winnebago Via and it has an information cluster with several different button ( Mercedes Sprinter) that activate different messages. To my shock I looked and it said DEF ON and then DEF OFF. I push the plus and minus on the steering wheel and it varied between off and on. I was very surprised to the point of asking my wife if I was seeing things. The perplexing factor is that I tried for the last week with the key out , in, starting, everything I could think of and I was not able to reproduce that message. When you change your oil it is quite complex to reset the next oil change. Maybe there is a procedure to bring up DEF ON DEF OFF. Can anyone explain this or tell me what is is all about ? 2012 Motorhome on 2011 chassis

Thank you in advance for your responses.
No it isn't .. usually turn the key to accessory and press the accelerator pedal three times in quick succession. Just read the manual.
Azpugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azpugman View Post
No it isn't .. usually turn the key to accessory and press the accelerator pedal three times in quick succession. Just read the manual.
...........For the OP- I have never seen that DEF display.

Azpugman it's Just a little more complicated to reset the maintenance display.
Mercedes Benz Sprinter Oil Service Indicator Reset |Auto Repair Technician Home

. Switch on ignition. The total kilometers must be displayed in order to reach the “service scope x in xxx km” menu.Should the total kilometers not be shown in the display, press the system selection button in the lower control panel (S111s3) until the total kilometers are displayed.
2. Press the upper control panel on the scroll forward/back button (S111s1) several times until “service scope x in xxx km” appears in the multifunction display of the instrument cluster.
3. Press button 0 (1) on the instrument cluster for approximately 30 seconds until a beep sound.
4. Press the lower control panel of the system selection button (S111s3) once.
5. Press the upper control panel of the scroll forward and back button (S111s1) until “Service in xxx km” appears in the multifunction display of the instrument cluster.
6. Press button 0 (1) on the instrument cluster. The menu “Carry out” (Carry out as display in the multifunction
display) appears in the multifunction display of the instrument cluster.
7. Press the upper control panel on the scroll forward and back button (S111s1). The selection menu “Oil types” appears in the multifunction display of the instrument cluster.
8. Press the upper control panel on the button + and – (S110s1) repeatedly until the desired oil type is marked in the multifunction display of the instrument cluster.
9. Select mark oil type with the upper control panel of the scroll forward and backward button (S111s1).
10. Press button 0 (1) on the instrument cluster for approximately 3 seconds until the display “Service confirmed” appears in the multifunction display.
11. Press the upper control panel of the scroll forward and back button (S111s1). The newly adjusted service scope appears in the multifunction display.Should the wrong oil type have inadvertently been selected when resetting the maintenance computer, proceed as follows.

a) Press button 0 (1) on the instrument cluster. The menu “Carry out” (Carry out as display in the multifunctiondisplay) appears in the multifunction display of the instrument cluster.
b) In the menu “To be carried out” (“To be carried out” as a display in the multifunction display) mark the menu item “Full Service back” (“Full service back” as a display in the multifunction display) with the upper control panel of the + and – button (S110s1).
c) Select marked menu item “Full service back” with the upper control panel of the scroll forward and back button (S111s1).
d) Press button 0 (1) on the instrument cluster for approximately 3 seconds until the display “Service confirmed”appears in the multifunction display.
e) Press the upper control panel of the scroll forward and back button (S111s1). The service scope to be corrected appears in the multifunction display.
f) Press button 0 (1) on the instrument cluster. The menu “Carry out” (Carry out as display in the multifunction display) appears in the multifunction display of the instrument cluster.
g) In the menu “To be carried out” (“To be carried out” as a display in the multifunction display) mark the menu item “Full Service” (Full service as display in the multifunction display) with the upper control panel of the + and – button (S110s1).
h) Repeat operation steps 7 to 11.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote