Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

Door Lock Snafu---Beware

Having a good time in RV park just outside Zion NP when I sprayed WD40 onto double locks on coach door. Slammed shut and threw the lock bar. Wife already had chassis locked so we're now 'locked-out'. Kudos to Springdale Utah Police for trying to get in, then calling locksmith out of St. George who had master key and $60 later we were back on road.

Lesson: Hide key somewhere or always have one in hand.

Paul
2018 Thor Siesta 24SS Sprinter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have at least ONE compartment on ervery RV or Trailer that CAN NOT be Locked.. And that's where I bolted in a "Realator's Box" any locksmith can sell you one.. Field programmable combination lock, You don't know the magic digits you don't get the yummy inside (keys to the door).
Old 05-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #3

I keep a set of RV keys in the truck and a set of truck keys in the RV, and a set of both in my pocket.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
I keep a set of RV keys in the truck and a set of truck keys in the RV...
This smart approach isn't applicable to a Sprinter, unless it's also pulling something, which most do not.

The OP's "Snafu" is something I don't understand potentially because differences in our Sprinter-based RVs. Our View is locked and unlocked with a key fob(keyless entry) to include the coach entry door. In our use closing the coach door has never resulted in it locking on it's own as described. I don't think this is possible on the View / Navion.

I'm also one to always keep a key to the vehicle I'm using, in my pocket or hands at all times unless they are in the ignition.
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have never been so perfect... locked myself out by mistake and luckily the rv park had my spare keys. I've since found a place to hide a key so I never have to use it again after the last time I had to use the spare
Old 05-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #6

Hid our extra keys on top of back tire . Forgot to retrieve so lost somewhere in North Carolina. Made another set quickly
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Your side entry door can and will lock on its own, first happened to me with a Winnabago Brave, then again with a Bounder, if the locks are well lubed the door is slammed shut by you or in my case the wind.
Magna #6225
42 Resort 505
Carl & Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two types of locks, One is called a "Dead bolt" and you have to lock that WITH A KEY after the door is closed. The other is a Striker Bolt, This is the common Door latch like you have on inside doors as well. if it is lockable you can often lock it then close.

As I said I have a combination lock realtor's box in my propane bay. No lock on the propane door. But if you do not know the magic nubmer you are going to be a while.

KEY Fob's are nice. less the battery dies.

I used to have a habit of locking my car keys in the car. So I got in the habit of carrying a set of car keys.... In each slash pocket.. IF I llocked the primary (Right side) keys in the car. Well I'm a bit Ambidexterous so I just opened the door.. .Left handed.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

KEY Fob's are nice. less the battery dies.

Nice thing about the Sprinter is the MB key fobs have the flick out ignition key built into them, the same key that can lock and unlock the driver's door manually. Central locking button on the dash also, push that, exit the cab, manually lock the driver's door. Key fob battery dies, not a big deal, not on our 2017 Sprinter at least.
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we were at the MCD factory in McKinney, TX the gentleman next to us locked himself out of his Pace Arrow motorhome. I used the keys to our Tiffin Allegro Open Road to open his driver's door. I've also used my keys on a friends 5th wheel to open his bay doors.

So if you ever lock yourself out ask your neighbors to try their keys. You will find a lot of the locks on motorhomes use the same keys.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #11

I have hidden on the outside, a key that will open the cab doors on my old View, its not chipped, so it won't start it, just opens the doors. Inside, well hidden is a complete set of keys including a chipped (non-fob) ignition key.

Fobs are EXPENSIVE to replace. Best thing you can do is have a key that will get you in, hanging around your neck while you are hiking, touristing on foot, etc, and throw all the other expensive keys inside and lock them in.

Charles
Old 09-02-2018, 04:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl & Shelly View Post
Your side entry door can and will lock on its own, first happened to me with a Winnabago Brave, then again with a Bounder, if the locks are well lubed the door is slammed shut by you or in my case the wind.
We just bought a Wayfarer so this really good to know!
jrcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:57 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our WBGO has a lock located just below the handle. It's a 1/4" diameter pin sticking out with a red plastic cover over it. It's not a dead bolt because if pushed down and the door were open it wouldn't close. If it's pushed down and the door is pushed closed you are locked out or in. It may be what is locked when I use a key outside to lock the door I've just never checked. It can be locked from the inside because that's how we lock the door at night.

Once while visiting a friend in the woods in northern MI we were parked next to their garage way out in the woods and somehow I closed the door and the button had been pushed down. We didn't have an extra set of keys outside but lucky the DW had her purse inside the house so we did get back in.

The location of the lever so close to the door handle is why it was pushed down without meaning to push it down. IMHO not a good design. We keep a set outside.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #14

Buy one of these, https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-P...y+box+magnetic. It is waterproof and magnet is strong, put your key or keys in and hide somewhere outside for emergencies. I have a class C, I actually use 2 of these, one for my spare cab key and one for my spare coach and compartment keys. I did have to use once and so glad I had these hide.

Tags
door