Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
...And who pays for the alignment?
I paid for it!

As there was little to be done it cost me $ 47.50 total

Worth it to make sure tires should wear well if rotated at proper mileage
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #16

Follow-up

Took my 2016 Navion to the Mercedes dealership in Greensboro, NC (where I live). They have just expanded their facility to include a beautiful Sprinter service center.

In a day, they had my alignment and balancing done. Drives like a dream.

Because I have the optional chrome wheels (installed at Winnebago), they had to remove standard tires and wheels from a Sprinter they had in inventory, install them on my coach, align it, and reinstall my tires and wheels. They could balance my tires OK off the coach.

Winnebago paid for everything but the labor ($115) to change out the tires. Winnebago said they would not pay because it wasn't appropriately indicated on the bill.

Been traveling, but upon my return, I'll get the dealership to word the bill appropriately and resubmit to Winnebago. Winnebago delivered a maladjusted product. I believe they will make it right.

Another note. The beautiful chrome wheels create another problem. When the tires are rotated, they will need to be removed from the rims, installed on rims where they are to be moved, and balanced. Can you spell "M-E-R-C-E-D-E-S L-A-B-O-R R-A-T-E-S?" (If I have to whine about this, I don't need a Mercedes. Right?)

Anyway, it's great to have a Sprinter-capable Mercedes dealership who treats me like a Mercedes owner. Can't say enough good about them.
hbjcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
There's no reason to go to a Mercedes shop to have tires rotated, even if they do have to be taken off wheels and remounted. Any tire store can do that, and many local garages could too.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
There's no reason to go to a Mercedes shop to have tires rotated, even if they do have to be taken off wheels and remounted. Any tire store can do that, and many local garages could too.
Yes all too true!
Clearly some vehicle owners are impressed with kid glove Lux car service and all the attendant the costs that go with it!
If you are happy with paying for that level of service & pretentiousness , then enjoy it!
Many shops can handle this type of work though, and with it comes the old fashioned rubber glove proctologist approach with no nonsense attention.

You might get a bag of popcorn in the waiting room instead of a danish pastry but the outcome is usually the same!
Dennis
Mechanic
lindenengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #19

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for the advice. Apologize for being such a butt about Mercedes. I admit, I fall for competent work and good customer service every time. Speaking of which, there's a great tire shop (Randal's) in Greensboro who can certainly do the job with the tire rotation. They are competent and trustworthy and maybe a shade less expensive. Popcorn over danish any day!

Bryant
Old 08-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjcw View Post
Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for the advice. Apologize for being such a butt about Mercedes. I admit, I fall for competent work and good customer service every time. Speaking of which, there's a great tire shop (Randal's) in Greensboro who can certainly do the job with the tire rotation. They are competent and trustworthy and maybe a shade less expensive. Popcorn over danish any day!

Bryant
Bryant
Hi
Having been an International Zone Rep for three big international truck and bus manufacturers, from experience I would say the Dealer chain is the best for a new vehicle service and warranty support!
That is not to state that all the competence dwells behind the workshop doors at these places!
Far from it!
I have a saying that a dealership is only as good as the folk that work within it! Found to oh so true many times over!
Their ability as such to fix(hopefully) the problems you MIGHT face during the post reception of your new vehicle is supported by factory tech support which is rarely available for the Independent shop owner like me nowadays and worth a great deal!.
So it pays to solicit service from the local dealer in the early days and months after delivery!

All the best and I hope you have now got your wheel balance problem resolved!
Dennis
lindenengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #21

Thanks, Dennis

The Mercedes handled the buck-passing between Winnebago and Mercedes so very well. Failed to mention that the Mercedes warranty covered a good portion of the cost. The dealership followed up to see that everything was OK. Really, I didn't think the charges were unreasonable. Better believe I'm going back to them of scheduled maintenance.

Camping World, Colfax, NC was not knowledgable at all about Sprinter service. This surprised me. I really like the staff there. Once they sold me the coach, they could help with the Winnebago part, but as far as Sprinter service and maintenance, they were clueless. Gave them a full rundown of my discoveries in hopes it will help future owners.

Thanks for the encouragement. Deeply appreciate irv2 forum.

Bryant

Tags
ems, problems, winnebago