Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Harbor Freight scissor jacks

I've searched around (as best I can figure how to) looking for any info on a leveling/stabilizing system for a 2015 Winn View. From what I've found, Mercedes will void your chassis warranty if you "install" a leveling system. harbor Freight sells scissor jacks designed to level/stabilize RV's. Now, I'm sure they're not the best thing out there, but they have a 23 1/2 inch rise, they're operated by a hand held drill, they don't necessarily need to be bolted to the frame (they can be yanked out and tossed in a storage bin) and they're less than $40. each.

I've read utilizing blocks is a pita but the need to level is a necessity...in some areas. I haven't taken possession of my "first" RV yet, but do you folks think picking up a couple of these jacks will be a "lesser of all evils" necessity that I will find useful...in other words, should I buy a couple since HF doesn't always have them on the shelf?
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Usually you would use blocks to level the RV, the scissors jacks would then be used to stabilize it so it doesn't bounce on the suspension and tires when you move about inside. I wouldn't try to lift it to level on scissors jacks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I installed HWH leveling system on mine & love it. It is an option from the factory. As for the warranty goes if you twist your frame with any leveling jack it will not be covered by MB. I have taken mine to the Dealership for other warranty issues with no questions asked about my levelers.Its not a cheap option but it is well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2014 View-have put 25K miles on it in 13 mos- I have 2X6 Planks 19" long (so they fit in the bottom of the storage boxes) about 8-is what I carry. I have a 12" level on the top lip of the frig. My wife watches the level as I pull up on the planks to level the coach. You will quickly get a feel for leveling the View. We stay at State Parks mostly, and the leveling is not a big deal. Electric Jacks & Scissor Jacks are not necessary _For Me- Keep it simple-and you will have more fun. Enjoy your Roll!!
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
We have a 2014 View-have put 25K miles on it in 13 mos- I have 2X6 Planks 19" long (so they fit in the bottom of the storage boxes) about 8-is what I carry. I have a 12" level on the top lip of the frig. My wife watches the level as I pull up on the planks to level the coach. You will quickly get a feel for leveling the View. We stay at State Parks mostly, and the leveling is not a big deal. Electric Jacks & Scissor Jacks are not necessary _For Me- Keep it simple-and you will have more fun. Enjoy your Roll!!
Deny...thanks for the response. I'm glad I got ya here...I've got a few more questions if I may since you're the only one with a View I've spoken to since purchasing/ordering mine. 1: How thick are the planks and are they tapered wedges? 2: When your slide is open and you step aboard, does the unit rock uncomfortably? (thus the need for scissor jacks) 3: Which floor plan do you have? and with the slide closed while traveling, do you (passenger) have room to move about without having to turn sideways and generally contort one's self? 4: I was told to toss out the "useless/cheap" currugated waste water hose that comes with the unit and buy a better quality one...is there really a need for that? 5: Are you finding it difficult to find diesel gas out along your travels? Lastly, can you recommend anything else that either came with your unit and you found substandard enough to have to buy a premium replacement or anything else that did not come with the unit that you would consider an absolute "must-have" like the following things I read about... surge protectors, water pressure regulators. As you can see, I know little to nothing about RVing...only what I've read on line and you tube videos...that's it. So anything peculiar to the "View" would be very much appreciated.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
Deny...thanks for the response. I'm glad I got ya here...I've got a few more questions if I may since you're the only one with a View I've spoken to since purchasing/ordering mine. 1: How thick are the planks and are they tapered wedges? 2: When your slide is open and you step aboard, does the unit rock uncomfortably? (thus the need for scissor jacks) 3: Which floor plan do you have? and with the slide closed while traveling, do you (passenger) have room to move about without having to turn sideways and generally contort one's self? 4: I was told to toss out the "useless/cheap" currugated waste water hose that comes with the unit and buy a better quality one...is there really a need for that? 5: Are you finding it difficult to find diesel gas out along your travels? Lastly, can you recommend anything else that either came with your unit and you found substandard enough to have to buy a premium replacement or anything else that did not come with the unit that you would consider an absolute "must-have" like the following things I read about... surge protectors, water pressure regulators. As you can see, I know little to nothing about RVing...only what I've read on line and you tube videos...that's it. So anything peculiar to the "View" would be very much appreciated.
Hi! 1- Boards are 2X6 (2 inches thick-6 inches wide) 2- Some-rocking when I get in (260 lbs) but no complaints about that issue 3- We have the 24V with the rear King/ twin bed 4-I still use the cheap hose, I do not generally hook up while we are in our spot-the hose is a little short and/or the receptacle is not placed for the convenience of hookup. I will dump at site or at the common dump when we leave-** I prefer that because thenI only fool with that hose ONCE, instead of hooking up, the, unhooking later -which is fooling with the hose TWICE 5- Diesel is available most everywhere-BUT- start looking for fuel when you get 200 + miles on your last fill-try to get fuel at a newer cleaner station- that is busy-they probably have newer cleaner tanks & fresher fuel. THINGS I BOUGHT EXTRA 1-I got a pressure reg & hook a $16 water filter to it (I do not have a water filter under the sink) 2- Quick connect on the filter & the water inlet connection ( hard to get too in the bay if you do not have the quick connect. 3&4- trikl-charge and surge guard from RV Electronics (put them in myself) 5-(2) Recliners where the Sofa Bed was-I just could not get comfortable on the couch-Hope you can! 6 -GPS in dash from factory (add on would be fine too) 7_AT&T Hot Spot for internet 8-&9 iPad & iPhone to use in conjunction with the GPS to find your way around the great big world 8- & most important- a happy wife- she can do the Navigating- on the 3 devices- and get the Coach organized- get good places to stay- and - make the roll a good memory!
Old 10-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
PS -No problem walking by seating area when slide is in. and The planks (2X6) are not wedged, I make a ramp (if necessary) by laying 1 or more down & putting the ramp board on top-with other end on the ground
Old 10-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #8

Deny...Thank you so much for taking all that time to lay it out for me. I have 2x6 redwood planks...gonna cut them and put them away for when I get the MH. I ordered the "M" with the toilet in the rear. I needed more floor space for the dogs to roam about while rolling. I'm not sure, but depending on which video/site I look at, they tout the sofa sleeper as the "main" bed. It has the flip down cushions, not the inflatable...hopefully it'll be comfortable to sleep on...others tout the over the cab bed as the main bed...that one I find hard to accept. I don't know if your sofa sleeper had the inflatable or was it the convertible couch? I like the "Dump when we leave" concept...it makes sense. My unit comes with a water filter under the sink...hopefully that'll suffice but a pressure regulator and quick connector is on my list now. I was under the impression the surge protector basically goes on the end of your power line...basically just a plug and play type of device??? If so, I'll get that. Not sure what the trickle charger looks like for an RV but I'll take a drive up to Camping World and get eyes on. The unit comes with the optioned Garmin RV GPS. Not sure what you mean by AT+T hot spot, which brings me to one last question for you...one who's put a lot of time in your RV...I've asked others this...would you recommend a "Traveler" HD Direct TV (electronically controlled) Satellite dish? (approx $1800. installed) I've had varied opinions on it. Some say just bring my Direct TV DVR from home and run wires to a home-built dish on a tri-pod on the ground...they agree it looks cheesy but saves money...others say it's a PITA to set up and capture the signal..they say to just take the wallet hit and get the installed unit. I've spoken to a friend who says many full hookup spots have cable and WIFI already so it's not needed...what have you experienced in this arena? We have WIFI capable IPADs...not sure how that would help us...maybe you can tell me. Lastly, my wife...love her to death, but, asking her to read a map is like her asking me to pick out a pair of shoes she would like...a move that only leads to folded arms and elevated vocal tones followed by deafening silence...so, I will be the Chief Cook and Bottle washer on this vessel
Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
You should consider a Progressive Industries Electrical Management System. (EMS) either portable, that plugs in to the pedestal or the hardwired one that goes between the shore cord and the RV. I have the hardwired one and it not only protects against surges, it won't connect to a mis-wired outlet. It shuts down if voltage is too low or too high, protecting your air conditioner and electronics. The best thing is the lifetime warranty. If it doesn't work, they repair or replace for free for ever! Surge Guard is only one year warranty.

Progressive Industries

WiFi in campgrounds is marginal at best. If others try to stream video or move large files, the system shuts down.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-27-2014, 11:13 PM   #10

Thank you Bob...I'm assuming my Sprinter Class is a 30 amp system. (haven't gotten it yet) I read all the pdf warranty info and the "picture-less" install info and it looks like the EMS PT-30C portable unit would be the simplest to hook up so that is the unit I will get. If the secure theft locking ring on it isn't substantial enough, I'll put my own on it...I certainly would not like to have it stolen. Bob, do you wanna comment on my question to Deny above about whether it's worth plopping down $1800. for buying and installing the Winegard Trav'ler DirectTV HD Model:SK-SWM3 professional looking, roof mounted, automatic High Def Direct TV dish? Thanks for all the helpful info.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:01 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I misspoke-"Trikl Start" for $42.00 is what I meant- There is a thread on how to install-it goes under passenger seat. It charges MB battery while you are hooked up and the Coach batteries are being charged. I like your floor plan-and your couch should be very comfortable. The GPS is a great option-but-there is a learning curve-so just stay with it. My wife has mastered it-and she is the chief navigator. They make a permanently installed surge protector that is hard-wired & they make the plug & go- just pick the one that appeals to your interests-same thing.

The TV reception that we get from the factory setup works for us-give it a try. The internet we get with the At&t "Unite" gives us plenty of connectivity. BUT I am told that the IPhones 5 and newer will serve as a "hot spot" now. Check that out with AT & T
Old 10-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
The portable EMS works the same, I like the hardwired because I can monitor the amp draw and voltage from the remote display. I'm a basic cable guy at home, on the road I either watch previously downloaded shows or go to a local Redbox and rent a DVD. Mostly I read. The Progressive hardwired installs very simply, cut and strip the shore cord, fasten the cut ends under the clamps and tighten.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-31-2014, 12:39 AM   #13

Here are a couple of things I think make life a little easier. If you are comfortable in the RV when it is parked then it is leveled good enough for the refrigerator. A 12 volt meter is very handy when parked without power . If the battery goes under 11.5 volts it may be injured. The RV status panel is not good enough for a real couch battery status check.
plmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The portable EMS works the same, I like the hardwired because I can monitor the amp draw and voltage from the remote display. I'm a basic cable guy at home, on the road I either watch previously downloaded shows or go to a local Redbox and rent a DVD. Mostly I read. The Progressive hardwired installs very simply, cut and strip the shore cord, fasten the cut ends under the clamps and tighten.
Bob, thanks so much for the info...I have since received my coach. I ordered the Progressive EMS...the hardwired box and installed it myself. It was pretty straight forward though a bit difficult to get my hands/arms inside the little compartment. I like the wired monitor though it wasn't as long as I would have hoped since I had absolutely no way of drilling/running it up the side of the box to eventually mount it at eye level. Instead, I had to run it along the bumper under the coach and drill into a storage box then up thru another storage box then run it behind the water pump and eventually mount it down under the refrigerator. I have to bend way down to read it, but, my wife feels it's good exercise. Thanks for all your help a couple months back...Art

Tags
jacks