Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Hub cab flew off took both valve steam extenders

Have driven almost 20,000 miles with valve stem exstenders
Today one flew off and took stems right out going 60

Damn
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes I have two flat tires
Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #3

That would suck. I almost lost one once, we heard a slight rattle while pulling back onto the highway after stopping for a quick break. Pulled back over and found the 2 nuts that hold it on were gone. Pretty sure the same would have happened to me if we hadn't caught it.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We don’t have any nuts holding the RIM to the wheel
You kind of just kick it into place and if YOU want to remove it you have to get crow bar to wedge it off
I replaced the other side about a year ago
I’m thinking I will take other side off just be more safe
Still 1000 miles from home
Old 05-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #5

I use plastic or stainless tie wraps on mine 2 each wheel cover never lost a cover..if they get lose they make noise and then i reset them but dont fall off very very cheap insurance...just my 2c...
norcal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:57 AM   #6

Wheel Cover/Hub Cap/Simulator flying off is a very common problem. The other thing they do is slide around and cause cuts in valve stem extentions. You can get Wheel Cover/Hub Cap/Simulator replacements on ebay from $70-90, [https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...overs&_sacat=0. Just make sure hole pattern is correct for your current wheel cover/simulator. Then put 2 cable ties, https://www.amazon.com/BuyCableTies-.../dp/B01CYHG5S2, evenly spaced on each wheel to hold the simulators on. You won't loose anymore if you secure them with heavy duty uv resistant cable ties. You can also get Stainlees Steel versions. Using Cable ties to secure the wheel cover/simulators to the steel wheels not only keeps you from losing them but also keeps them from moving which can cause valve stem failures. I keep spares with me in my storage compartment as well.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I took mine off completely for no other reason than they look cheap. I would not use valve stem extensions, as you have found out, they can be sheared off or leak. Invest in some Borg dually valve stems (one piece, custom formed metal valve stems) which work great.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #8

Valve extensions aren't needed with the View / Navion if you get the RV version of the Viair air compressor and the best part is, you can service your tires where you want, at your leisure.
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
Wheel Cover/Hub Cap/Simulator flying off is a very common problem. The other thing they do is slide around and cause cuts in valve stem extentions. You can get Wheel Cover/Hub Cap/Simulator replacements on ebay from $70-90, [https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...overs&_sacat=0. Just make sure hole pattern is correct for your current wheel cover/simulator. Then put 2 cable ties, https://www.amazon.com/BuyCableTies-.../dp/B01CYHG5S2, evenly spaced on each wheel to hold the simulators on. You won't loose anymore if you secure them with heavy duty uv resistant cable ties. You can also get Stainlees Steel versions. Using Cable ties to secure the wheel cover/simulators to the steel wheels not only keeps you from losing them but also keeps them from moving which can cause valve stem failures. I keep spares with me in my storage compartment as well.

Thank you for that insight but if looking for a new rear cap will the 70$ match the other side well enough

But I sure will get straps

This was a not fun
Old 05-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #10

After reading these posts, I jut went to and zip tied the front wheel covers to the rims!
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #11

The first time I checked tire pressure I stashed the covers in the attic for the day I sell the rig. IMHO there is no functional purpose for them. Without them the tires can be checked without valve stem extensions in a few minutes.
pfm41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve