Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #1

Looking for Class B+\C Sprinter with 2 living areas

Hi all - Narrowing down our floor plan choices we have realized we NEED 2 living areas in the event we stay out for longer and need to work. Anyone know if this unicorn exists?

Unity FX - great floor plan but neither couch looks comfortable for lengthy lounging and we apparently cannot sub in 2 theater seats like you can in the same space of the Unity MB.

Unity MB - love the upgraded theater seats option and nice big bathroom, TV straight across from couch but need a second living space for working.

Wayfarer 25 RW - love the upgraded theater seats option and second couch Murphy bed area but bed appears flimsy. Apparently there is a very low OCCC for this coach. Also low microwave is wonky.

Just giving you an idea of likes and dislikes in case you know of something that will work. Appreciate your help.

We have never owned an RV and plan weekends and vacations mostly but may need to work on the road as well. We want to bring 2 electric bikes that will weigh 100 pounds combined.

Thank you!
Juliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #2

I really doubt such a thing exists, there simply is not enough floor space in a Sprinter chassis Class B+ to have separate living areas.

If you need a separate bedroom / living room area, you are probably going to be looking at a 27-29 ft class A coach with slides, the smallest that comes to mind is something like a Winnebago Vista 26HE
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #3

Can you tow a small travel trailer for the office space? An older, boxy style, since a curved front would make for unusable space. Don't need plumbing or sleeping, so it can be quite small with all that stuff stripped out and reworked for simple office space.

Run an umbilical from the Class B to the trailer so you can use just one shore power line in the park unless the pedestal also has a 20A line you can use (and are allowed to use along with the RV). Shouldn't need more than a 20A line, just for lights and computers and a small A/C unit. If the trailer is heavy, you'd probably be better off with a Class C for the heavier chassis and tow capability, but how much office space would you actually need?

I would think a very small trailer would almost double the available space with kitchenette, bathroom, and sleeping gear removed, and be plenty for working. My corner workstation with computer and three monitors takes up 9 ft x 9 ft, including file drawers and such, but I could cut one dimension by 2 ft just by moving the lateral file cabinet to another location. The rest of the room is empty space. And my audio equipment. And my easy chair for listening. But for a portable office, a very small space would be fine.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #4

Agree with Isaac-1 that there is no such thing on a Benz chassis. As you are already aware the majority of coaches on a Sprinter chassis will have a rather limited cargo weight capacity. Some can vary by 200+ pounds so look at each Coach individually. Also, check to see where the closest Benz Sprinter Service Center is to you prior to purchasing. Not all Mercedes dealers work on Sprinters & some States have none, so think of ease of service when at home & to places you have travel plans to.
FlaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I worked on the road during vacations from 1998 to 2015 so I know your pain!

Look at the Winn View 24v which I have. Up front is a couch that opens to a bed or can have a pedestal table as a work space.

The back bedroom (separated by only a curtain) has two bunks where you can fill the space in the middle for a king sized bed. That can also be used as office space as you can sit on one bunk and stack the cushions to serve as a quasi desk space. The 24v has the advantage where you don't have to pull out the slide to make the bunks functional.

Agreed that more room in a larger class C or A would be of benefit but regardless of size, you're still sharing the same 'box' with a lot of noise while your're trying to concentrate or on a conference call.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Navion 24V and that would be my floorplan recommendation as well if you were to stay with the Sprinter chassis. Before you get to far in your shopping process, always look at the door weight sticker on Sprinter chassis - you are looking for OCCC (or occupied carrying capacity) and anything less than 1000 lbs is impractical.

Back to your original "two living areas" idea. Do you really want two work areas? Unless you like working sitting on a bed, you are not really going to find this in any size motorhome - even a 45 footer. You could possibly do this in a fifth wheel or a custom built fifth wheel. So maybe you really want to think more about whether you want to work or vacation.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I really doubt such a thing exists, there simply is not enough floor space in a Sprinter chassis Class B+ to have separate living areas.

If you need a separate bedroom / living room area, you are probably going to be looking at a 27-29 ft class A coach with slides, the smallest that comes to mind is something like a Winnebago Vista 26HE

Thank you for your input
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Can you tow a small travel trailer for the office space? An older, boxy style, since a curved front would make for unusable space. Don't need plumbing or sleeping, so it can be quite small with all that stuff stripped out and reworked for simple office space.

Run an umbilical from the Class B to the trailer so you can use just one shore power line in the park unless the pedestal also has a 20A line you can use (and are allowed to use along with the RV). Shouldn't need more than a 20A line, just for lights and computers and a small A/C unit. If the trailer is heavy, you'd probably be better off with a Class C for the heavier chassis and tow capability, but how much office space would you actually need?

I would think a very small trailer would almost double the available space with kitchenette, bathroom, and sleeping gear removed, and be plenty for working. My corner workstation with computer and three monitors takes up 9 ft x 9 ft, including file drawers and such, but I could cut one dimension by 2 ft just by moving the lateral file cabinet to another location. The rest of the room is empty space. And my audio equipment. And my easy chair for listening. But for a portable office, a very small space would be fine.

Thank you for your input
Old 07-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
We have a Navion 24V and that would be my floorplan recommendation as well if you were to stay with the Sprinter chassis. Before you get to far in your shopping process, always look at the door weight sticker on Sprinter chassis - you are looking for OCCC (or occupied carrying capacity) and anything less than 1000 lbs is impractical.

Back to your original "two living areas" idea. Do you really want two work areas? Unless you like working sitting on a bed, you are not really going to find this in any size motorhome - even a 45 footer. You could possibly do this in a fifth wheel or a custom built fifth wheel. So maybe you really want to think more about whether you want to work or vacation.

Thank you for the input. Don’t want to work in RV but want room in the event we need to. This is absolutely intended for enjoyment 🤪
Old 07-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I worked on the road during vacations from 1998 to 2015 so I know your pain!

Look at the Winn View 24v which I have. Up front is a couch that opens to a bed or can have a pedestal table as a work space.

The back bedroom (separated by only a curtain) has two bunks where you can fill the space in the middle for a king sized bed. That can also be used as office space as you can sit on one bunk and stack the cushions to serve as a quasi desk space. The 24v has the advantage where you don't have to pull out the slide to make the bunks functional.

Agreed that more room in a larger class C or A would be of benefit but regardless of size, you're still sharing the same 'box' with a lot of noise while your're trying to concentrate or on a conference call.

Thank you for your input -
Old 09-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #11

I noticed the 1 RV model you omitted from your LTV Unity list was the 2020 Unity Rear Lounge. Check it out if you haven’t. It’s the one we’ve ordered (sight unseen).
TLTGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTGA View Post
I noticed the 1 RV model you omitted from your LTV Unity list was the 2020 Unity Rear Lounge. Check it out if you haven’t. It’s the one we’ve ordered (sight unseen).

We did look at that one too but we wanted more seating up front than just the jump seats [emoji575]

Tags
class b