RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mercedes based RV owners

What is you're experience with the sprinter van based RV I have heard good things about them what has been you're experience as far as mileage and reliability. I'm looking at about a 24 foot RV for my needs.

IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

I have a Sprinter-based 2012 Winnebago View 24 footer. So far I have found it to be an excellent chassis with excellent fuel efficiency and good power. I do not tow (one of the reasons for buying a Class C) so I have no towing experience. I have had no problems and adequate weight capacity. Good cab finish and all-around comfort. Diesel is a little harder to find than gasoline, but the good mileage makes up for the difficulty.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
How is the performance on hills? That is one factor I'm getting a diesel I'd the power and performance.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2014 Winnebago View Profile 24v, which really are 25' 5" long. We picked it up Aug 7th and went on a seven night trip. It is the best for us, wish we had bought one two years ago when we got a Roadtrek, It was to small so we traded for a 35' fifth wheel, to big. The best thing we did was getting this View. We traveled from Bend, OR to Northern Idaho. No problems climbing the hills. Ran the dash air entire trip traveling 60-65 and up to 70 on the freeway around Spokane. The first tank we got 15.3 and the second we got 15.5. Can't wait to use it again and we are. Next week four nights at our County Fair to watch grand-kids and their 4-H animals. And then a two week trip to Washington and Idaho to visit family and then Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Love it, can't wait to drive, travel and use this MH.
paisleydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

I have not not been out west with my View yet, but have used in the Smokey Mountains and the mountains of PA, WV and Va. I was able to travel at the speed limit at all times except for one where I dropped down to about 50 mph, but of course the trucks were only able to do about 25-30 mph on it.
( no toad). Mileage generally runs 15.5 to 16.5 mpg.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Downshift to keep the appropriate revs and hills are no problem. I slowed to 55 mph on the steepest and longest climb on a trip out west in June. The semis are nuts on some of those passes. They would dart in and out between the two right lanes, some going 30 mph or slower, some about 45. That would mean the far left lane was left to traffic going between 55 and 75 mph. Could get pretty hairy at times.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We have a 24ft Forest River Solera. Love it, we replaced the sway bar with a beefed up one (Hellwig 7254). Made a world of difference in handling during wind and passing semis. Sprinter has good pickup, gas milage and is very comfortable to drive. We've had ours since last October an have 16,000 miles on it already!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We have a 24ft Forest River Solera. Love it, we replaced the sway bar with a beefed up one (Hellwig 7254). Made a world of difference in handling during wind and passing semis. Sprinter has good pickup, gas milage and is very comfortable to drive. We've had ours since last October an have 16,000 miles on it already!
Are you full timing in it?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPULSE DRIVEN View Post
What is you're experience with the sprinter van based RV I have heard good things about them what has been you're experience as far as mileage and reliability. I'm looking at about a 24 foot RV for my needs.
Our best friend had a Winnebago Via and we travelled extensively with them. They towed a Saturn Vue sometimes and it pulled the Vue ok. Overall The mpg was in the 12-15 range. Tank sizes is a weakness. The fuel tank does not give much range and the holding tanks are small also. Theirs was a 2010 model and at that time there was no provision for an exhaust brake.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
The MB diesel is a strong, efficient engine. As a class C there are definite limitations in terms of GVWR. That being said, we quickly have learned to load efficiently to reduce weight. Smaller fuel tank, but better gas mileage means range is about the same as other C's. I've had a 38' DP, a 28' class C, as well as a towable and 2 pop ups and would never go back to anything else. Love the driveability, the efficiency of the Sprinter chassis, and the MB engine (though only 3.0 liter) is a brute!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPULSE DRIVEN View Post

Are you full timing in it?
Heavens no! A bit too small for that IMHO.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #12

We just got a used Fleetwood Icon 24A, which is actually 25'-1" long, and we love it. We just took a trip to the Catskills and the Smokey Mountains and it handled those hills with no problem at all. Our mileage for the trip was 13.8 litres per 100 km or about 20mpg...which seems a little too good, but, 18 mpg seems to be the average.
It is very comfortable, has the full slide which does make a big difference in comfort.

My only gripe with these Class C RV's in general is road noise. I wish they would put more effort into really taming down road noise. A layer of sound block would go such a long way and it's SO hard to do after the fact.
88keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
True but adding weight hurts mileage too
Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #14

Newbie here been searching and reviewing since about a year ago, I'm interested in something that is easily handled by 1 father and 2 girls ( most of the time) for a summer long trip across the country from NJ and back..

Initially was focusing on class A because of the space afforded similar to itasca 27N. Both my wife and I are over 6 ft tall and our kids while only 10 and 6 are tracking to be over 6 ft as well.

But concerned about "single handing". As my wife would only be able to join us for 2-3 weeks of the 8 week trip.

Also concerned about as mileage which started me looking at the Reyo, Via, Navion , Thor chateaux citation, all on the Mercedes sprinter chassis. I would love to hear from those of you that have been putting lots of miles how the daily or every other day drivability of these rigs as well as livability comments.

My intent would be to campground a lot with occasional boon docking or Walmart docking.

My thought with these smaller rigs is it might be easier to park at various tourist sites along the way such saint Louis arch, Mount Rushmore, Seattle sights, driving the mountain highways etc as well as when we visit friends along the way easier to park in their driveways etc.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Grant T

scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote