Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #1

Mercedes Chassis RV problems?

We are about to purchase a new Sunseeker MBS (Mercedes Chassis). We are downsizing from a Class A. I've been reading comments, complaints and reviews. I found this article today and it has me a bit puzzled. Has anyone who owns a Mercedes Chassis RV had any issues with what this guy (Mercedes Mechanic 50 years) is saying? Looking forward to hearing thoughts about this article....

Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts!
automatic_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Have only read about these situations...no personal experience.
It sounds logical though and changing oil viscosity for different seasons was very common in the 50's and 60's before multi-grade oils were blended.

But, what I personally found is that these Eurovan based RV's have some of the lowest OCCC ratings in the industry. Be sure to check this. This is common for models on the Sprinter, Ford Transit, and Ram ProMaster. If you can travel light (like 800 to 1600 lb total added for people, stocks, water and personal items) these could be good. But that doesn't work for us.

Traveling overweight will cause transmission problems...and overheat the engine too.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #3

From what I have read, you need to use full synthetic ESP oil (pretty expensive) to help protect a critical emissions part (particulate filter). Mercedes says the change interval is 20,000 miles, but I would think that 10,000 to 12,000 miles would be a safer bet. The 3.0 engine (usually used in RV's) requires about 13 quarts of oil that costs from $8 to $10 a quart. I would not cheap out and use non ESP oil.

Also, Mercedes does not recommend diesel fuel with more than 5% bio. You don't always know what the percentage is until you pull up to the pump. I have seen amounts as high as 20% which is supposed to be a no no and could hurt the emission system components.

Other than that, the engines have a very long life if well cared for and are found in a lot of smaller RV's
Old 02-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
lld

The Sunseeker on the Sprinter Chassis looks very nice, smart choice. There have been emission problems on all diesels the last few years but things seem to be getting better. I have a 2011 View with 195,500 miles. It has been very reliable. I've gone through 2 sets of nox sensors (new ones are suppose to be better) and I just replaced a fuel rail. The Sprinter chassis is the longest life chassis out there. Repairs are expensive but the 14 to 15 mpg you'll get should off set that. I tend to read to many horror stories about the Sprinter chassis, yesterday I saw a post by a Sprinter owner who had 512,000 miles on a 2012 van, made me feel better.
lld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:48 PM   #5

I have a 2010 Navion on sprinter chassis 3.0 Mercedes engine. Has 45,000 miles and only one problem. Had to replace the starter 3 weeks ago. I have had a 30, a 35 and 40 foot. Got tired of too much coach for two people. Traded for a new Navion and love it. Drove to Canada and Alaska,(12,500mi.) No problems at all. I sometimes pull a 18 ft. trailer with a antique car and have had no problems. Can park most anywhere. During all our trips, have not had a parking problem. I would recommend the Sprinter chassis to anyone.

Sugarfoot36 (George)
sugarfoot36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #6

Well... It is kind of a love/hate relationship, meaning I love the Winnebago side but the chassis leaves some room for improvement. I can relate to the mechanic and author of the attached link. We own a 2011 Winnebago Via that now has close to 40,000 miles. We have had many of the problems mentioned in the article. Our first was EGR issues that supposedly has been corrected under a recall and a software update or two.

In November we had all the glow plugs replaced since 3 of them were found to be bad after an engine light came on. Very rare in a diesel engine to lose that many glow plugs at low mileage.

I have definitely been frustrated by the B5 fuel requirement. On two separate occasions I have picked up bad fuel suspected to be B20 although I am religious in looking at the pumps for that marking. Both times have been a low fuel rail pressure issue that put me in limp mode. If in certain areas this could be a real downer if you do not have a spare fuel filter or the knowledge to change it on the road. Shops know when you are desperate and will charge you around $500 for a replacement. Any engine work with the Via starts with removing the hood and simple fuel filter replacement requires drilling down to the filter location covered by layers of other engine parts. I have not attempted it on the road but I now carry a spare and I may just find me an abandoned parking lot and attempt it myself. I agree that there are fuel retailers out there that have higher than B5 and are not disclosing it. I really am not sure if it is an accident, as suggested in the article, or intentional in states where biofuel is highly subsidized and it is good for the retailer to sell as much as possible.

I just spent $4000 last month after getting a low reagent code. I made sure the DEF level was OK and took it down the road to get it hot enough to regenerate and the fault cleared...then it showed right back up at the next start. I wound up taking it to Taffel Motors in Louisville and they slowly went through the procedure to clear it up. Wound up being a runaway heater in the DEF tank that had become so hot that it had damaged the DEF pump and collapsed the pickup tube due to the heat. I highly recommend Taffel Motors Sprinter service department but this stuff just does not come cheap.

I also had an intermittent code that showed a low turbo pressure. I had that investigated at the same time as the DEF issue. They checked the pressure which was low and eventually found a crack in the air supply on the bottom which was impossible to see without removing it.

I am one of those people who is religious about maintenance and following manufacturers schedules and guidelines. I cannot stand a CEL or any detectable malfunction. Right now, knock on wood, everything is running and looking great. From the sound of the linked article, it may not stay that way for long.

I would not discourage anyone from buying the Sprinter but be realistic about the emission controls and repair costs. This is not a low/inexpensive vehicle to maintain. But when you tackle the mountains this engine delivers. When I drive it a few thousand miles while all is well, I forget it...until the next check engine light or limp mode.

Hopefully the new Ford diesel in their Heavy duty Chassis Cab and Chassis will offer some competition soon.
Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #7

Check the OCCC. The Sprinter chassis can handle loads about the same as a small car. If you use it as you think it's designed for with big storage, you will be overloaded.
KH 2015 View G
Old 02-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I see our OP has not been back - sounds like a troll to me. The article he posted, assuming it is legit, only applies to fleet operations of Sprinter chassis vehicles. Since you are probably not using your MH like that, I think I'd stop obsessing about things in that article.

The only thing I can ever find out about biodiesel higher than B5 is that it is a better solvent than straight diesel. That means that in older diesels run on straight diesel will have to have the fuel filters changed frequently after the first few fill ups with bio.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I see our OP has not been back - sounds like a troll to me. The article he posted, assuming it is legit, only applies to fleet operations of Sprinter chassis vehicles. Since you are probably not using your MH like that, I think I'd stop obsessing about things in that article.

The only thing I can ever find out about biodiesel higher than B5 is that it is a better solvent than straight diesel. That means that in older diesels run on straight diesel will have to have the fuel filters changed frequently after the first few fill ups with bio.
Not a troll at all. I have been reading every comment and thanking them for commenting. I was just curious given the author's background and attachment to a reputable Mercedes Service Center. I haven't read many articles with owners stating these problems. Which is why I came here with my inquiry. I have given up my "worries" regarding this article though. I think the 3 year warranty is ample time to see if maintenance on this system is too burdensome.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to call you a troll but when I see one post on the forum and no follow-up posts it looks suspicious - especially when the subject is controversial.

Motorhome users of the Sprinter chassis are unlikely to have the same experience as delivery companies. We just don't use the chassis the same.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post

Wouldn't classify anyone a troll who is researching to determine whether to make a major investment into one of these units.

By the way, I always change the fuel filter at every 10,000 or yearly. That is quite more frequent than the frequency recommended by MB.

The OP asked for personal experience and that would be what I would expect if I were the poster. Obviously, our experiences are different. My expectations are no different for this vehicle that they are for my personal transportation or farm equipment I maintain. Technologies have advanced us to a point where our vehicles run much longer than would have dreamed about even 50 years ago. That reliability has become the norm and MB does not get a pass just because they are MB. They have work to do to stay at the top if that is where they desire to market.
Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:18 AM   #12

Thanks for the input folks. Changing the fuel filter sounds like a great idea.I also own a farm and understand the importance of regular maintenance. After reading about fuel differences I like your annual fuel filter change idea. Is there actually still a problem locating ULSD? Everything I've read seems to be back near the time it was "regulated" into being. (2007-8) I have printed Mercedes
filling station list, so hopefully I won't have to go hunting for ULSD too often. The MB list I have doesn't list a single ULSD station in Columbus, Ohio but I know from experience they are just about everywhere. We have the first long trip planned already, approx. 8,200 miles covering 24 states. Looking forward to better than the 7-8 mpg with the class A we had. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
All diesel sold for road use in the United States (and probably Canada as well) is ULSD. I would ignore the Mercedes list. The thing you want to watch for is biodiesel. Mercedes says 5% max biodiesel.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #14

No frickin way I am searching around all the time for the correct fuel for a fragile system, I was looking at the whinny Era, but am staying with my chevy duramax/Bigfoot for now. I know that rig is bulletproof.

Tags
chassis, ems, problems