Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 11:24 PM   #1

Need mud flaps

Need some advice...got a 2015 Winn. View 24m and I pull a toad. My MH has two very inadequate mud flaps behind each of the rear wheels...Any recommendations for obtaining and installing a reasonably priced, easy to mount full length flap across the rear? BTW, rear bumper to ground is 17 inches so if I want 5-6 inches ground clearance, the flap should be approx. 12 inches. It doesn't have to be pretty with cute logos and crap...just a 7 foot heavy rubber piece. I can fabricate a mounting bracket for it since my hitch is preoccupied and unavailable and if it's just plain rubber, I can doll it up myself with reflector buttons etc if need be. Any thoughts?
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:22 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What makes the mud flaps inadequate? If it is lack of stiffness, screw some stiff metal to the back of the flaps.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
What makes the mud flaps inadequate? If it is lack of stiffness, screw some stiff metal to the back of the flaps.
Actually, one of them is 9 inches up from the ground and the other, for no reason what so ever, is about 4 inches shorter and the bottom is 13 inches up from the ground. Almost as if Winnebago ran out of mud flaps so they just used a scrap piece...it's crazy to look at. The shorter one is actually only 2 inches down from the chassis...it's almost as if there is no mud flap on the driver's side.

I just want a 7 1/2 footer that I can mount about 5 inches up from the ground at the back of the RV where it would be most effective.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #4

DuraFlap Mudflaps custom cuts mud flaps for the fender well. You measure and tell us how wide you need to be wider than your tires, and how long you need and we will custom cut them to your specifications.
We suggest that you lower your coach, if you have air bags, and measure to keep the mud flaps 1" off the ground, then put the air back in, and hopefully you will find that same length to be about 4-6" off the ground. That would be optimum. Just remember not to back up against any parking guards or curbs. You could catch the mud flap between the tire and a hard place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04 winnebago (6).JPG
Views:	96
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	91035  
DuraFlap Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraFlap View Post
DuraFlap Mudflaps custom cuts mud flaps for the fender well. You measure and tell us how wide you need to be wider than your tires, and how long you need and we will custom cut them to your specifications.
We suggest that you lower your coach, if you have air bags, and measure to keep the mud flaps 1" off the ground, then put the air back in, and hopefully you will find that same length to be about 4-6" off the ground. That would be optimum. Just remember not to back up against any parking guards or curbs. You could catch the mud flap between the tire and a hard place.
I have a Winnebago View. 25 1/2 ft Sprinter class...no air bags or lifts. Wouldn't one long guard along the rear of the coach be more effective than separate guards directly behind each wheel?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #6

We always suggest tht you first have mud flaps in the fender well that are long and wide enough as described in the vendors spotlight forum.
The mud flap across the back, done as you described staying 5" off the ground will give you that much more protection. Just make sure you start in the fender well where the rocks first start flying. It will also give your coach more protection underneath and along the sides.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #7

I have been considering adding the Duraflap to my Diesel Bounder. I get conflicting opinions on the usefulness of the flap. If the Duraflap is installed toward the rear of the coach is it still 4-6 inches off the ground?

And does it help airflow and then MPG or is there no effect.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #8

When we had our motor home the mud flaps that came with it were short and flimsy. I stopped at a truck stop and bought a semi trailer size mud flap. It is heavy and not a bit flimsy. I cut out the size I wanted and then pop riveted it, with large fender washers on each side, to the bottom of the mud flap that was all ready on our RV.
Even though we had a full width mud flap across the rear of our motor home we were still getting rock chips on the front of our car. Also the rear hydraulic jacks were right behind the rear wheels and were getting pelted by rocks and road debris. The addition of the heavy mud flaps to the flimsy ones solved the problem! And at a very low expense I might add.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #9

As always, the first site of protection from rocks is just behind your tires where they start. You want them to be wide enough to cover the tires, with hopefully an additional 1" on each side, and long enough to be within at least 6" of the ground, but not soo long that if you let the air out of the bags, they are going to hit the ground.

The back mud flap is one more chance to protect your toad. It should be at least 4" off the ground to keep from hitting the ground and throwing rock at your toad, or even creating a wind tunnel effect that can throw loose stones at your toad. It should stay within 6" of the ground to stop the rocks that could get under it and be high enough when they reach your toad to hit it.

We hang ours on a chain for a couple reasons. If you do hit the alligator in the road, the mud flap needs to stop it from hitting your toad, but also not get t-boned from having no where to send the energy of that impact. The hanging style also keeps from compromising any air flow needs in the diesel engines, or the gas coaches generator compartment.

You do want to leave a little gap between your coach and the mud flap for the airflow needs, but not more than about 3" if possible so rocks do not easily find their way through the gap.

Many people say they get away without a rear mud flap without their toad getting chipped. That has alot to do with how far it is from the tires to the back of the coach, and how low the coach sits to the ground. The few rocks that get past the mud flaps in the fender wells, have a chance to fall back to the ground and not hit the toad.

Hope this information helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DuraFlap on Dutch Star.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	91273