Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #1

Need Sprinter Spare tire & wheel

I have a 2019 Sprinter based 24FE that didn't come with a spare tire. Any ideas on locating a good used tire & wheel would be appreciated. Has anyone replaced their steel wheels with aluminum? Where would I find these take-off wheels?
Thank,. AZTreker 602-291-8996
AZTreker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #2

I bought a steel one from my MB dealer. $159.00

Steve
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:08 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, I replaced my steel wheels with Alcoa's. Gave the steel ones to the tech who did the work. I was tired of the hassle of the "wheel liners".
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:30 PM   #4

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We pulled the original front tires off and saved them for spares when we upgraded to Michelin tires. Our Sprinter has the aluminum rims with steel on the inside dual rear rims. Because of having two different rims we decided to carry an unmounted spare.

We have AAA RV service and would let the tire tech pull and replace any flat with the spare we carry. I've worked on trucks in my youth and know what trouble I can get into trying to carry the proper tools to pull a tire while in some out of the way location, let alone a driveway at home.

Also, steel rims and aluminum rims use different sized lugs which should not be mixed because of clearances needed when installed.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #5

I wanted a summer and winter set of tires for my Audi A6, Got a very good price from eBay, workeds out perfectly. Tried it with "Mercedes Sprinter tire" in the search and found a bunch.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...tires&_sacat=0
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #6

The eBay ads are the take offs where upgrades have been made to aluminum. There should be lots of choices.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
Also, steel rims and aluminum rims use different sized lugs which should not be mixed because of clearances needed when installed.
The Sprinter 2500 chassis has single rear wheels.. and uses wheel bolts to mount tires and requires different length bolts for steel or aluminum rims. Using the longer bolts with steel rims will damage the brakes internally. ....
But the 3500 chassis has dual rear wheels and uses studs and lug nuts. Studs are long enough to accommodate both steel and aluminum wheels.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
The Sprinter 2500 chassis has single rear wheels.. and uses wheel bolts to mount tires and requires different length bolts for steel or aluminum rims. Using the longer bolts with steel rims will damage the brakes internally. ....
But the 3500 chassis has dual rear wheels and uses studs and lug nuts. Studs are long enough to accommodate both steel and aluminum wheels.

But you must be cautious that the steel wheels are inside and the aluminum are outside. If you place aluminum rims inside the studs might not be long enough to hold tight. On the front wheels, the aluminum rims should not be mixed with steel for the same reason.
Old 11-30-2019, 06:52 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
But you must be cautious that the steel wheels are inside and the aluminum are outside. If you place aluminum rims inside the studs might not be long enough to hold tight. On the front wheels, the aluminum rims should not be mixed with steel for the same reason.
Normally, with rear duals, the aluminum rims are outside to look pretty. Never saw dual front wheels on RV or sprinter van..
The only concern is the 2500 chassis because it uses Bolts and it does not have dual wheels.. The 3500 chassis has dual rear wheels and uses studs and lug nut all the way around....
Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
For the OP-.. Many of the companies that mount custom aluminum rims list the takeoff steel rims online at reasonable prices. Concern is getting the correct rim.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #11

I have a 2019 sprinter on a Thor 24FE and it did not come with spare either :-( calles my local tire guy he can’t get a rim. I called local junk yard and they quoted 160.00 called local MB truck center and they sell it for 350.00 and require the old one as a core charge and credit me 150.00 makes no sense but I’m afraid to risk eBay since the wheel met be out of round enough to make it a nightmare to balance. I was thinking. To do a bumper mount and leave it easy to grab and mount it on the passenger side to balance the rig. Thinking HF for the mount.
Jorgesalazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #12

I looked around for rims and found them cheapest at Dodge dealers. Overall, they were not too expensive but since I would not know which rim type would be needed the decision to carry an unmounted spare and have it changed when a flat is removed would be easiest.