RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

New 2019 Sprinter cutaway chassis features

I'm interested in buying a Class C on a Sprinter chassis and have been trying to decide if I should wait for the new 2019 Sprinter chassis, or get one with the 2018 chassis.

The new chassis will have the 7 speed transmission, as well as a newly designed cab and new safety features. They all sound desirable.

There will also be two cut-away chassis, one similar to the current one, called the 3500XD, with the same GVWR and the new 4400 with the additional Gross Vehicle weight. The combined gross is the same however.

What I learned today, is that the 4400 chassis will have the speed limiter of 65MPH as a standard feature. I called Mercedes today and they stated that the 4400 chassis will be limited to a max speed of 65.

What I don't know, is if the Class C manufacturers plan to use the 4400 chassis or the 3500XD chassis. If anyone knows what they are planning to use, that would be helpful to know.

Personally, although I am fine driving at or below 65, there are times, like in passing a slower vehicle, that I want to be able to accelerate above 65, so I'm not hanging out in a passing lane.

The second items I found is that the fuel tank capacity for the 2019 is about 2 gallons less than the 2018 chassis, 24.5 versus 26.4. That is a negative in my opinion.

Like anything, there are pluses and minuses and each of us has to make our own decision, but these factors are some that we are considering in making our decision. Once the 2018 chassis are gone, the only option will be the 2019 chassis.

Hopefully a thread such as this will be helpful to those considering the purchase of a Sprinter based RV.

I'm hoping that others that have information regarding the new chassis will post what they know, so we can all benefit.

Oh, and of course, cost is suppose to go up. and the 7 speed transmission has a longer interval between maintenance.

Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thumbs up New 2019 MB Sprinter Chassis

Let me preface my response by stating that we currently own a 2018 American Coach Patriot Sprinter built on a 2017 MB chassis. This 24.5ft. Class B Sprinter was actually built by Midwest Automotive Design but badged by American Coach.

Here's my succinct response, its simply a NO BRAINER to wait for the new 2019 MB Sprinter chassis if you can live with the ~$8000 upcharge. The new 2019 chassis will be supplied on 2020 Class B Sprinter vans.

The new chassis will have a lot of updated features we wish we had on our 2017 chassis. MB had good reasons not to build 2018 chassis. They only moved the 2017 style to 2018 while awaiting launch of the new 2019 chassis to be built in North Charleston, SC.

Don't beat yourself any longer with trying to decide which chassis is better. As I mentioned, its a NO BRAINER to wait for the new 2019 MB Sprinter chassis if you can live with the ~$8000 upcharge.

These are the facts and they are undisputable.

ColCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
On the Sprinter forum- Leisure travel vans, the upcharge for the 2019 chassis is listed as $5415. Option extended to customers with an RV on order but not yet in production.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:57 AM   #4

You may need to wait a year to get one. The builders will use up their inventory first. Then there will be time to revise. Leisure is small and my be sooner to provide a 19.

The advantage is in the transmission. On my 15 View I use a scan gauge to shift. I tow a car and live in the PNW so mountains are very common. I don’t have a issue with the 5 speed but manual shifting under load is required.
I have needed to upgrade my suspension with roll bar, Fox shocks, sumo springs. I did an alignment and have weighed my unit. I would do this to both types.

If there was a 4500 I would get that because of OCCC.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
2019 Sprinter features.
Quick Reference Guide - New Sprinter
Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX): A completely new multimedia system featuring innovative technology based on Artificial Intelligence and an intuitive operating system. MBUX technology is pioneering a new level of in-car experience. MBUX can be operated by Voice Control, the Touchscreen, Touchpad and Touch Control Buttons on the steering wheel. The system has learning capabilities and intelligent Voice Control with natural language understanding and a verbal cue of "Hey Mercedes" or "Hey Sprinter" for Freightliner models.

DISTANCE REGULATOR DISTRONIC® PLUS is able to follow a vehicle in front at a pre-selected distance at wide range of speeds and relieves driver strain on long journeys and when following vehicles.
BLIND SPOT ASSIST Now new with rear cross traffic alert (RCTA), recognizes vehicles in the blind spot using two short-range radar sensors located in the rear bumper. The detection area extends from the B-pillar approximately 11 feet to each side of the vehicle and 9 feet behind the rear end.
ACTIVE LANE KEEPING ASSIST is able to detect unintentional lane departure, warn the driver and help to guide the vehicle back into its lane with one-sided brake actuation.
PARK ASSIST: Utilizes twelve radar sensors installed on the front and rear bumper. When the car's in reverse, Park Assist displays a top-view 360 degree pictogram of the car and parking space, providing helpful steering guidance.
TRAFFIC SIGN ASSIST: draws additional attention to speed limits, no-entry and no-overtaking restrictions
CROSSWIND ASSIST: Detects strong gusts of crosswind and helps the driver to stay on course. At speeds over 50 mph it corrects the vehicle's course by means of automatic braking intervention on the wheels on the side of the vehicle facing the wind.
ATTENTION ASSIST: Gives the driver visual and acoustic warnings if it detects typical signs of drowsiness or inattention, and urges the driver to take a break. Steering wheel movements are recorded and used to create an individual driver profile.
ACTIVE BRAKE ASSIST with Cross-Traffic Function continuously checks the safe distance to the vehicle immediately in front, warns the driver optically and acoustically of potential collisions and autonomously brakes the vehicle to a full stop if required.
CAR TO CAR COMMUNICATIONS: One of the new Mercedes PRO connect services. Receive a warning in your new Sprinter with Car-to-X communication if there is heavy rain, fog, icy roads, or accidents ahead. Based on automatically collated data from all the vehicles using this technology, drivers get notifications when other drivers encounter a hazardous condition.
INTERNET IN THE CAR: The driver and passengers can use the multimedia system's Wi-Fi hotspot to easily go online with mobile devices. The Internet in the Car service requires a Mercedes PRO account, additionally a contract must be made with a 3rd party mobile network operator.
TOUCH CONTROL BUTTON: touch-sensitive controls on the steering wheel for instrument cluster and infotainment system control, similar to a smart-phone interface, which respond to vertical and horizontal swiping movements.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
All of these "features" are on the 2019 vans only. The cutaway chassis used for motorhomes is a totally different animal and most of these features will likely not be implemented.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
All of these "features" are on the 2019 vans only. The cutaway chassis used for motorhomes is a totally different animal and most of these features will likely not be implemented.
https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/comm...ns/cab-chassis

Most of these features are available on the 2019 cab-chassis. The build link above lets you select options and packages. Did not see "Park assist" as option. (makes sense)

Complete info here: https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases...-sprinter-vs30
Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #8

The list of safety features on the 2019 sound impressive but realize the coach builders might not spend the money to have all those features on the coach. You get what they order which may be featureless so they can keep the price down. Only way to verify is to contact MB with the VIN prior to purchase and they will let you know what features are on that MB.
Idahokent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahokent View Post
.... but realize the coach builders might not spend the money to have all those features on the coach. You get what they order which may be featureless so they can keep the price down. .
Winnebago new "no frills" VITA Class C on Sprinter chassis Motorhome mag review mentioned - cockpit- rubber floor mats and a mostly blank dash with only driving essentials.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #10

Thats because the 2020 Vita and Porto are being built on the current NCV3 Benz cab chassis and not on the new VS30 cab chassis. So, what you get is still the same chassis that Winnebago has been using since 2015.
It'll be while till you see any rigs on the new VS30 chassis and in all probability those will come out at the end of the year or early next year as a 2021 model.

CGKMGK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis