Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2017, 01:16 AM   #1

O2 Sensor issues

I have a 2015 View with less than 6K miles and it's overdue for my Calif. registration because I have to have it smogged...it won't pass smog because the OBDII reader flagged the O2 Sensor. I don't have a check engine light on. It was suggested by those in the know that I should drive the RV far enuff to run close to 2 full tanks of fuel thru it and the flag should clear...I drove 460 miles and the O2 Sensor is still highlighted as an issue. Short of taking it to MBZ, (still under warranty) does anyone have a suggestion?
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Use the warranty, that's what it's there for.........
Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Agree on the warranty comment, however O2 sensor code will set and not clear without manual reset. Part of emission system coding in most engine management systems.

You do not say if the code is read by the DMV tester, or if you are reading the codes yourself with an OBDII reader. If the latter, clear the code with the reader, and test drive for a few miles. If it does not come back then the O2 sensor is working OK, at least to get it smog tested.

My thoughts.
Brian

PS - post the engine code shown and there may be a trouble shooting manual somewhere out there in google land......
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #4

You have a pending permanent O2 error and the MIL will eventually turn on. Make the smog certificate the responsibility of the MB service center. Get new sensor on warranty at no charge. Go home happy and wait for the next sensor fail.

Do not mess with resetting or removing codes...it will only confuse the issue when the service tech goes in to check in response to your claim. It will NOT change what has been logged.
Done it twice.

Phil
PSOUZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Donut signature "22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of."

Doesn't look like the Winnebago View is fulfilling your dreams...or did you dream of not being able to pass smog?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Donut signature "22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of."

Doesn't look like the Winnebago View is fulfilling your dreams...or did you dream of not being able to pass smog?
Frankly, I can't even begin to tell you what a disappointment this Winnebago View has been. I've taken it on only 8 very short trips...nothing longer than weekend trips less than a half day drive from home. I have less than 6K on it (two of which was on it when I got it) but I've been back to the dealer 17 times with it for everything...you name it, it was broken. I won't go into it now...it's way too upsetting. In any event, I will take the advice of those who suggest I go back to the Sprinter dealer and let them address the O2 sensor.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #7

I would be asking why this RV had only 2k miles. Was it used and returned under the Lemon law?

If it has been to the MB dealer 17 times I might be looking for a maintenance shop that knows what they are doing.

Do not reset the codes, contact the shop give them a final shot at fixing all the issues under warranty, not just the O2 sensor.
If you don't get satisfaction consider contact MB directly request their intervention on your behalf.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bradley View Post
I would be asking why this RV had only 2k miles. Was it used and returned under the Lemon law?

If it has been to the MB dealer 17 times I might be looking for a maintenance shop that knows what they are doing.

Do not reset the codes, contact the shop give them a final shot at fixing all the issues under warranty, not just the O2 sensor.
If you don't get satisfaction consider contact MB directly request their intervention on your behalf.
No, no lemon law. I ordered it brand new, I thought they got "shipped" to my dealer...they drove it, thus the 2k miles.
1...Generator wouldn't start
2...Bath fan wired backwards (blew in vs sucked out)
3...TV didn't work (HDMI cable broken in wall)
4...Radio blew fuse
5...Radio blew fuse...again (ordered new radio)
5...Replace radio
6...Discovered radio was 2 (model) years old
7...Install 2nd radio
8...Water heater vent cover blew off

So far, this is the first 3, yep, you heard that right...3 weeks!

9...Drawers wouldn't latch...they'd fly open
10..All but one of the overhead latches broke off
11...Shower screen/door wouldn't stay closed
12...Open door beep alarm wouldn shut off (drove 25 miles with it on)
13...Couldn't activate Cabin electric door lock with key fob
14...Broken fold out couch
15...Returned2 days later...broke again (insisted they order new bed)
16...New bed arrives and is installed
17...Returned next day...they left out half the bolts holding it on floor

Here's a few more bonus trips that I forgot about:

18...Called Flexsteel, ripped them over poor bed design. 3rd bed on the
way
19...Installed 3rd bed...left out two critical floor bolts...again!
20...Black tank handle stuck (closed) bolt came off and housing shifted.
21...Shower spray...entire unit broke into pieces while using it.
22...Bathroom door would NOT lock (this was a separate trip in the first 3
weeks that I forgot to mention above.
23...Molding on slideout just decided to fall off.

and lastly...

24...Mystery banging noise behind the driver while driving...no one can
find it!

So, you think I may reasons to NOT be a happy camper?

Now, as far as the SMOG goes. I went to MBZ Sprinter today. He made sense. He says since my Ck Eng lite is NOT on, I'm only reading a sensor MONITOR which will clear in time. He also gave me a printout to bring to the SMOG dude tomorrow...it's from B.A.R. to all smog joints. It says Diesels, 2007 and above are allowed to have up to 2 triggered monitors and still pass Cal SMOG requirements, however, if it produces a code, then the code must be addressed, i.e., an actual O2 Sensor gone bad. Then they will get involved.

So tomorrow morning I will take it in for the SMOG test. I'll post my findings tomorrow evening.

P.S. Thanks for allowing me to vent!
Old 02-07-2017, 03:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Yikes, I thought I had it bad....

anyway, banging behind driver is the spring inside the wall for the slide - been discussed many times here and the sprinter forum

I had the module changed between the entertainment/gps and the Mercedes computer. This fix was suggested by Winnebago Cusomer Care for all my idiot lights going on dash, loss of all power etc. It was crazy not knowing if I'd be stranded at any time, Mercedes couldn't figure out the problem... After the module change it has been flawless.

It also sounds like the technician working on your RV, and the supervisor are quite bad- go somewhere else if you can.

I have found that my dealer, Lichtsinn, and the factory are very good and I go to them when I'm passing through the area. Lucky for me that's several times a year. I will have one more stop under warranty . With any luck the issues will have been fixed for good. It seems every RV, no matter the make has issues to fix at first, then steady upkeep.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #10

I have never heard of such a nightmare.

Looking at your list it sounds like mostly Winnebago issues. Contact Winnebago most of your list is quality control issues from the factory. The door lock issue is a known trouble, it also is a Winnebago issue but requires a new module from Mercedes all under warranty.

Have you run every system? This is a basic pre delivery list that should be done before you take delivery.

Gas Heat, Electric Heat/air conditioning
Water Heater
Fridge gas/12V/(120 sort of)
Fresh water and Fresh water dump ( I found a piece of plastic at the tank from manufacturing) fresh water fill all the valves
Water Pump and all the switches
winterizing valves
Generator, start inside and outside
Batteries chassis and house charging while driving, house- charging from generator,
house - charging while on shore power.
locate all the fuses/circuit breakers (they are all over the place under the drivers seat, back by the fridge, under the dash, even under the hood for the engine.

Test everything, create a list if you find problems then take it in (somewhere) for warranty work.

Anyone else think of something to test?

I am very happy with mine and you will be too.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #11

Quote:
I have never heard of such a nightmare.

Looking at your list it sounds like mostly Winnebago issues. Contact Winnebago most of your list is quality control issues from the factory. The door lock issue is a known trouble, it also is a Winnebago issue but requires a new module from Mercedes all under warranty.

Have you run every system? This is a basic pre delivery list that should be done before you take delivery.

Gas Heat, Electric Heat/air conditioning
Water Heater
Fridge gas/12V/(120 sort of)
Fresh water and Fresh water dump ( I found a piece of plastic at the tank from manufacturing) fresh water fill all the valves
Water Pump and all the switches
winterizing valves
Generator, start inside and outside
Batteries chassis and house charging while driving, house- charging from generator,
house - charging while on shore power.
locate all the fuses/circuit breakers (they are all over the place under the drivers seat, back by the fridge, under the dash, even under the hood for the engine.

Test everything, create a list if you find problems then take it in (somewhere) for warranty work.

Anyone else think of something to test?

I am very happy with mine and you will be too.
Well, I haven't run the gas heat, Fresh water dump, outside generator start (didn't know I could do that)
Something else I had to go to the dealer for...the fuses in the cabin were hand written in so sloppily, the svc mgr had to call Winn. to ask them what they were 'cause he couldn't read them either.
I will check those items you mentioned though...thanks for the response.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #12

Quote:
The three motorhomes I've purchased new all had 1800-1900 miles on them, since they were driven from factories in Indiana or Iowa to Oregon. Sure, I wish I could take delivery of a new unit with only a few miles on it, but a trip to the factory or a dealer near the factory was not in the cards.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post

I had the module changed between the entertainment/gps and the Mercedes computer. This fix was suggested by Winnebago Cusomer Care for all my idiot lights going on dash, loss of all power etc. It was crazy not knowing if I'd be stranded at any time, Mercedes couldn't figure out the problem... After the module change it has been flawless.
Please tell me more about this module. I had the original Infotainment/GPS unit replaced with an after-market unit last summer. The installers said at the time they were having a challenge getting the steering wheel controls to work. I told them they never worked properly with the original unit, so don't bother connecting the steering wheel controls.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #14

We will use ours at least one more year then be moving to the same unit just a newer model year. We live in Alaska and wil try to deal thru the local dealer but price will make the difference. Even if I buy locally I will take delivery at or near the factory.

It is worth the trip rather than have a delivery driver breaking in my machine.
Just a quirk in my personality.