Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #1

Radio Removal

I want to install a 7" back up camera monitor in the "catch all" area above the radio. It has a wired Voyager model VCMS 10B backup camera system. I purchased my 2014 24V iQ from a previous owner who replaced the original Jensen radio with a Pioneer radio and apparently didn't plug in the video leads to the new radio, so I don't have the camera view with it. I prefer to have a separate back up camera monitor anyway . So, has anyone removed their radio? It seems the only way to get to the rear of the radio where the connections would be.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has done this.

LLL

bglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Often radios need 'keys' to remove them. They could be flat pieces of metal or curved wire loops that poke into holes in the radio face. You'll have to remove any bezel around the radio face and see if you see slots or holes. The flat slots can often be made with pieces of aluminum pie pan or the like, or you can go to a local audio shop and buy/borrow some from them.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #3

I removed my unit on my 2012 Itasca Reyo which was on the Sprinter chassis. It looked just like the photos of the Navion 24v dash.

If I recall correctly, you have to pop off the trim pieces on each side, the ones with the air vents, to start. That will let you see how to remove the trim around the radio and beneath the radio. Not sure if that trim pops off or uses screws. Sorry I can't remember more specifically, but I do remember the radio itself is held in by screws that are behind the trim. I believe I also removed the trim around the a/c controls.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:34 AM   #4

Join the Sprinter Forum to see the pictures and instructions on my post #76, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...482#post448482. I removed my radio in my 2014 to add a separate monitor to view rear and side cameras.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's a video on installing a side camera system in a sprinter. At about the 15 min. mark he demos how to remove the radio.

TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGlider View Post
Here's a video on installing a side camera system in a sprinter. At about the 15 min. mark he demos how to remove the radio.
Removing the radio starts after the 16 min. mark. Also, many posters seem to have missed bglewis original post: "previous owner who replaced the original Jensen radio with a Pioneer radio."

Most likely the Pioneer radio is in a sheet metal sleeve that's inserted into the dash and held with bent tabs and the Pioneer unit is removed with 'keys' as I suggested in post #2.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #7

Pioneer radio removal

thanks for the info o the removal of the Pioneer radio. My Itasca Navion 24V has the factory wired Voyager rear camera. So I am hoping the radio end of the cable is intact and I can install a wired monitor to it. Also hope the factory installed wiring to the ignition etc.

We'll see.

Thx,

Bernie

bglewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, radio