Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #1

Rain got into the cab overhead light...how?

OK folks...so here we go again. recap...2015 1/2 Winnebago View with less than 4K miles on it. It's been parked in front of my house for a week. Well, it rained cats and dogs 4 days ago so today I decided to take it to get it washed. When I reached the first stop sign 300 feet from my house, about 4-6 oz of water literally streamed out of the light above my head. How in the world it got in there is beyond me. It happened too late for me to take it to the dealer but I will certainly bring this video for them to look at Monday. Any thoughts out there about how the water could have gotten in? All windows in the bunk above the driver were closed during the rain. I'm gonna try to attach the youtube video my wife took of the leak (after the steady stream stopped) If it doesn't open, I'll try to figure out a way to try to resend it. Any help out there would be very much appreciated.
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Donut lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #2

Interesting. I test drove a 2015 view at Tom shaffers in PA and the exact same thing happened. Obviously an issue. The dealer knew about it and tried to hide it from me ....but I caught him in a lie.
slongobardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut lover View Post
OK folks...so here we go again. recap...2015 1/2 Winnebago View with less than 4K miles on it. It's been parked in front of my house for a week. Well, it rained cats and dogs 4 days ago so today I decided to take it to get it washed. When I reached the first stop sign 300 feet from my house, about 4-6 oz of water literally streamed out of the light above my head. How in the world it got in there is beyond me. It happened too late for me to take it to the dealer but I will certainly bring this video for them to look at Monday. Any thoughts out there about how the water could have gotten in? All windows in the bunk above the driver were closed during the rain. I'm gonna try to attach the youtube video my wife took of the leak (after the steady stream stopped) If it doesn't open, I'll try to figure out a way to try to resend it. Any help out there would be very much appreciated.
Hi most likely your rainwater ingress is from the exterior antenna boss located just above the windshield top departure line, or ingress over the weatherstrip and eurathane sealing bond of glass to body. Airflow under way & over the areas mentioned will cause water ingress and propagation into the interior; where it wells up and & drips out as your video demonstrates.
Its a warranty issue.
All the best.
Dennis
lindenengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:15 AM   #4

Hmmmmm, well, I've used a very high pressure washer on the RV before...blasting the windshield, overhang area...I mean really blasting it to get some pieces of bird guts off...not one drop got inside. This time, it was just sitting in the rain and the water got inside. Today I took it to a car wash, again trying to replicate the problem, using high pressure all over...nothing!
22 years Navy...Retired. 20 years Law Enforcement...retired. Navy showed me Viet Nam and police work showed me society's worst. Hopefully this 2015 Winnebago View 24m will show me a level of relaxation I've only dreamed of.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:37 AM   #5

The water may still be getting in and only noticeable when you make a sudden stop at light or do a U turn.

Good luck with finding the problem.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #6

We purchased a 2016 View V from Lichtsinn RV in Forest City, IA, this fall. On our first outing, we went to a nearby rv park for a long weekend. It rained several inches but it wasn't a bad storm or windy. During the rain, we never moved the rig but continuously checked for leaks but found none. Just as we left the pad, water started pouring out of the lights between the sun visors. It soaked the dash and the cab carpet. As we drove, it continued to drip out. We called the dealer and were told to get it to a dealer immediately. We called two dealers in the area and were told it would be 3 months to get in by one dealer and the other dealer informed us it would be a month.

We couldn't find any water in the bed over the cab area but we knew we had to find the source of the water. Leaky rvs seem to be our luck! We immediately took the mattress down. We unscrewed and lifted the platform where the mattress was. There were puddles of water in an enclosed space between the top of the cab and the platform which holds the mattress. There was a thin foil insultation covering the area and several wires in this space. We removed the insulation which was soaked. We put fans on the area and by morning it was dry. Everything worked on the dash. We called the factory and they were booked but said they would work us in if we came. It was a 3,000 mile drive for us.

The factory got our rig in within 24 hours and within a couple of hours they found the water came in around the seal of the window on the driver's side up in the bed over the cab area. The window was sealed on the inside but not sealed on the outside so the rain went in the area between the cab ceiling and the platform where the bed is. I had them take the dash cover off to check for water damage but there wasn't anything there to hold the water and everything is working.

The factory water test is worthless for this area in my opinion. In the future, I will periodically lift the mattress platform and check for water.
tx trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx trio View Post
We purchased a 2016 View V from Lichtsinn RV in Forest City, IA, this fall. On our first outing, we went to a nearby rv park for a long weekend. It rained several inches but it wasn't a bad storm or windy. During the rain, we never moved the rig but continuously checked for leaks but found none. Just as we left the pad, water started pouring out of the lights between the sun visors. It soaked the dash and the cab carpet. As we drove, it continued to drip out. We called the dealer and were told to get it to a dealer immediately. We called two dealers in the area and were told it would be 3 months to get in by one dealer and the other dealer informed us it would be a month.

We couldn't find any water in the bed over the cab area but we knew we had to find the source of the water. Leaky rvs seem to be our luck! We immediately took the mattress down. We unscrewed and lifted the platform where the mattress was. There were puddles of water in an enclosed space between the top of the cab and the platform which holds the mattress. There was a thin foil insultation covering the area and several wires in this space. We removed the insulation which was soaked. We put fans on the area and by morning it was dry. Everything worked on the dash. We called the factory and they were booked but said they would work us in if we came. It was a 3,000 mile drive for us.

The factory got our rig in within 24 hours and within a couple of hours they found the water came in around the seal of the window on the driver's side up in the bed over the cab area. The window was sealed on the inside but not sealed on the outside so the rain went in the area between the cab ceiling and the platform where the bed is. I had them take the dash cover off to check for water damage but there wasn't anything there to hold the water and everything is working.

The factory water test is worthless for this area in my opinion. In the future, I will periodically lift the mattress platform and check for water.
Holy crap...I was about to type back how I doubted that to be my situation and my wife read the thread over my shoulder and went out to look at the seal around the window. She returned and asked me why I would have the window open such a small amount. I told her the window was closed and I hadn't touched it before the rain storm. she assured me it was open and I went out to look...yep, more like slightly less than 1/8 inch. After the water ran out thru the light and we inspected everything and I assumed the window in the bunk was closed...it looked closed as I stood down on the cab floor but....upon further inspection...thanks to you, I discovered the window was the culprit here. The driving rain slammed against that window and though the bedding was all dry when I ran my hand over it, the water got into the window channel and ran down thru the upper bed platform just as you described it. I tried to remove the platform bed as you've described but after I pull out the screws, it won't budge...it's like it's still being held in by some screw somewhere. Thanks you soooooo much for the follow up on this...you solved the problem. Now to figure out how to remove the top platform to get any pooled water out.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:16 AM   #8

The problem with motorhoming is the motorhome itself. This is the reason my wife does not want another Rv. Constant problems, anxiety , long drives and wasted time fixing issues.

It all gets back to manufacturing issues and poor quality control which ruin a lot of good vacations.

Sorry you guys had these problems.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #9

Our window was closed and locked and we did not have any water inside. Our leak was a result of the window slipping when installed and it did not seal on the outside. There was a gap between the window and the seal on the outside of about 1 inch.

As far as lifting the platform, unscrew the 2 screws at the front edge of the bed on each side. There are 4 more screws with plastic caps over the screw heads located in the center of the platform. Using s sharp knife, remove the caps and take out the screws. Then the platform can be lifted up about a foot.

Good luck.
tx trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slongobardi View Post
The problem with motorhoming is the motorhome itself. This is the reason my wife does not want another Rv. Constant problems, anxiety , long drives and wasted time fixing issues.

It all gets back to manufacturing issues and poor quality control which ruin a lot of good vacations.

Sorry you guys had these problems.
Constant problems is an understatement as far as I'm concerned. I've never in my life seen a product that is so poorly put together and lacking in QC. What's worse is, the poor quality seems to be an expectation from the RV community. It also looks like poor quality control recognizes absolutely no monetary boundaries...I've been bitchin' that after spending 117k I should have an excellent product but reality smacked the hell outta me when a forum member explained he paid about 400K and he too was always returning to the shop after every outing...incredible!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #11

It such a shame. I run a world class Aerospace company
and quality is the cornerstone of our sucess. The RV industry is totally unregulated and not bound by any quality standards.
Your correct in stating that the buying community accepts the shoddy workmanship. The worst part is it could take years to discover all the hidden issues, which forces us to spend thousands on extended warranties. I do love the sprinter and if I ever was crazy enough to buy another RV is would probably be the Leisure Travel brand, but I do like the Winnebago floor plans the best - especially the 24m.

Hopefully you have some good uneventful trips to offset the aggrevation.

Steve L
Old 12-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the 2016 Navion 24J and it has performed admirably. When we picked it up, we camped in torrential rain for 4 days. Dry, no problems but now I'm paranoid. Thanks for the info. Will keep an eagle eye on our skylight. Maybe not such a good idea to have those put in?!!! Lynn
Lynnowensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnowensmom View Post
We have the 2016 Navion 24J and it has performed admirably. When we picked it up, we camped in torrential rain for 4 days. Dry, no problems but now I'm paranoid. Thanks for the info. Will keep an eagle eye on our skylight. Maybe not such a good idea to have those put in?!!! Lynn
The problem was not the skylight...it was the small side window on the side of the cab over bunk. Ity's been closed now and thru some torrential rains...no further problems.

Tags
light