Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #1

Cool Rear tire valve access

I have dual rear wheels on each side my new Prism-Sprinter chassis. Access to the outside tire valves is troublesome.

The valves for the inside tires are clearly visible and accessible, but the outside tire valves are on the INSIDE of the tires and difficult (impossible??) to get to

It looks like Coachmen used tire valve extenders for the inside tires only. Anyone have this issue? Suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buy some dually valve stems and replace the OEM's. This company sells solid metal ones. Call them and they will be able to tell you what you need.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the same on my Winnebago View. There are extensions on 2 of the wheels.

I have rotated all 6 tires front to rear, side to side- so-I just put the extensions on the outside rears.

I have found the right pressure gauge and the right air inflator to fill & check the air.

It is tempting to spend & get metal extensions, but a little skill will do what you need.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #4

I'm trying to understand your dilemma, so my questions will be very general. Are the tire valve stem on that outside tire a 90 degree bend one? If the tire valve stem was rotated 180 degrees would it help? Some valves are made so all you have to do is loosen the stem nut and turn the valve around. This can be done without letting any air out of the tire. My coach had a similar problem in that the rear wheel valve stem was pointing toward the inside wheel making tire pressure checking problematic. I turned those around and now they are easy to check.

Do you have a picture by any chance?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You just need a dual foot gauge, any truck stop, NAPA and most auto stores have them. Solves the access problems.
BTW: having the inside valve pointed out and the outside valve pointed in is standard practice on vehicles with dual tires. They are that way to easy tire rotation since the front wheel and rear inner are orientated the same way and the outside dual is flipped around.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

Cool

Thanks all for your great replies to my post and this RV newbi

I think I know what to do now, and what likely led to this problem. Someone probably removed, borrowed ('ripped off'?) both outside tire valve extenders and never replaced them. My outside tire valves are on the tire's inside and have NO extenders attached. They don't even have caps on them and look to be full of road dirt and crud! I should have caught this during my pre-buy inspection, but didn't.

I contacted Forest River regarding this issue, but no reply as yet.

Jfran304, I'll contact your source to determine if I need 135 deg or 180 deg extenders. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by irv2man View Post
Thanks all for your great replies to my post and this RV newbi

I think I know what to do now, and what likely led to this problem. Someone probably removed, borrowed ('ripped off'?) both outside tire valve extenders and never replaced them. My outside tire valves are on the tire's inside and have NO extenders attached. They don't even have caps on them and look to be full of road dirt and crud! I should have caught this during my pre-buy inspection, but didn't.

I contacted Forest River regarding this issue, but no reply as yet.

Jfran304, I'll contact your source to determine if I need 135 deg or 180 deg extenders. Thanks.
When you contact them ask about the double sealing valve caps. They make it a lot easier to check/air up tires since you don't have to remove them and they protect the valve cores.

A1046-250 Double Sealing Valve Cap Qty:1

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote