Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Roof A/C Unit

Just bought 2018 Citation 24 SV the roof top air is terrible outside temp 95 and the inside temp wouldn't go below 88. Checked temp at A/C outlet and it went to 71 and wouldn't go lower. Told dealer totally unacceptable. Has anyone else had this problem?
Hermbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

I am not familiar with your RV, but I had a 37' 5th-wheel trailer several years ago that came from the factory with one AC unit. On a hot sunny day, the single AC could not keep up.
I had a second AC unit added - Problem solved.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #3

Thanks TRebel
This coach is so hot inside it's just not acceptable. It's brand new we haven't had a chance to even go out in it. Also we're not new to RVing as this is our 7th rig over the past 20 years. We've never had this problem, maybe with the dash air but never with the roof A/C. I think Thor under estimated the cooling capacity needed this unit.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
Cat

The color of the motorhome makes a huge difference. We had a 2007 BOUNDER the upper part of the outside walls were black the lower was a tan color. I was in vegas and I had IF temperature gun. The ambient was 108f the black section of my wall was 175f the tan section was 145f . So the heat load the ac was trying to cool was much higher than the ambient. I would never own another black colored RV
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #5

13,500 BTU A/C Unit is standard

What air temp at RETURN are you measuring?
What air temp at DISCHARGE are you measuring?

S/B roughly 18*F - 20*F difference between the two measurements.

Use a thermometer held in air stream..not an IR Gun. (Can't measure AIR with an IR)

Cold air leaking back into return side will result in lack of cooling
Fan/AND compressor....hear/know BOTH are coming on?

13,500 btu unit is sufficient to properly cool that sprinter down
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #6

Yes, I measured the temp with an analog thermometer for ac's and it read 71 degrees at the outlet and 95 outside but the ambient inside was 88. The coach is black & silver. My coach that was traded for it was a Holiday Rambler Trip with black top and gold bottom. It had 2 15,000 A/C's which cooled it immediately . I would think Thor would put a15,000 on a black coach going to FL. Really disappointed.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Close your window blinds, use Reflectix to cover any sky light, cover your windshield because you are sitting in a greenhouse. Your A/C is cooling, but your heat gain from uncovered windows and windshields is greater.

Your black sidewalls aren't helping either. If you are parked, get your awning out to shade at least one side.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you bought a coach with black side walls that is a huge issue when trying to cool it in hot climates and full sun. Your RV has a fraction of the insulation a residential home has. That black wall is getting very hot and that heat is going to flow thru the wall into the inside. Honestly, I think you might have to trade it for a light wall color or perhaps paint the outside walls a light color.

The problem is likely not your roof top AC it is the design of your motor home. Do what you can to shade the walls in particular the windows. Window awnings over big side windows can help a lot. Open the awning to shade windows and as much wall as possible. Make sure all AC vents are wide open to maximize the air flow. Make sure the outside evaporator is clear of any air flow obstructions in particular watch out for wasp nests. If more than a few fins are bent obstructing air flow buy a fin straightener and open them back up. One other thing you can do is block the Furnace Outlet Vent and Return Air Vent to keep more cooled air in the living space.

If all else fails and you must camp where your AC can't keep up consider a second portable AC to supplement the roof AC.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
That output temp sounds weak.
My Siesta Sprinter 24ST is the same as the Citation. I just checked my AC. Inside temp was 85, Ac output temp after running for 5 minutes was 60. As temp inside dropped so did the output. 80 inlet 55 out of AC, Completed with the inlet air at 71 and output air was 46 degrees. (analog AC thermometer measured at the AC grill, not the round vents)

However- my unit now is 15,000btu. Initially unit was 13k and it worked fine, similar to the above results. ( I think the coldest out was low 50's) . It seemed to get weaker and eventually was replaced under warranty, based on compressor current draw. I elected to pay the difference to upgrade to the 15K unit.
There are no fittings on the roof AC to check system pressure and it cannot be re-charged, If the unit looses pressure the compressor draws less current because it's easier for it to run. Your dealer can check the current.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #10

Hooligan
Thanks for the reply, these units need a 15 like you have. In shopping for this unit we looked at 24' Born Free and Nexus, they had 15,000 ac's. Have put foil in all the cabinets, foil sunshade and it has the dark smoked Windows, as was suggested above. The unit is back at the dealer. They have had it longer than I have, seems that Thor hasn't been returning their calls, great Customer Service on Thors part.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You are getting 17* of delta T, temperature change from the incoming air to the outgoing air. That is marginal, but not too bad. Outside temp has a bit to do with the equation, it's harder to cool the condenser when it's 100* outside. What color is your rig? I know dark colors are 'fashionable', so is wearing your baseball hat backwards and wearing your pants so your underwear shows, but physics says white or silver are much better to reflect heat away. Physics never changes...
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

It's new take it back for warranty. If only 71 out of the A/C there is a problem with the unit. Did you do a walk thru with the A/C working?
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermbike View Post
Hooligan
The unit is back at the dealer. They have had it longer than I have, seems that Thor hasn't been returning their calls, great Customer Service on Thors part.
I would question your dealer... In 2 years my unit has stayed overnight a total of seven or eight nights, longest was across a weekend. They normally had clearance from Thor by the time they came back to me in the waiting room. When parts needed I kept the RV until parts arrived and then scheduled the work. I have called or e-mailed Thor with good results, same or next day return..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
It's new take it back for warranty. If only 71 out of the A/C there is a problem with the unit. Did you do a walk thru with the A/C working?

Yes, we did a walk thru however the unit was under cover with the AC running and appeared comfortable. Didn't occur to us at the time, only realized the problem after taking it to storage and it sat in the sun.

Tags
roof