Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 04:52 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
OK--yesterday my "engine light" came on for first time ever. Not flashing. I read somewhere that if it is flashing, I should pull over and call a wrecker (?) and if not flashing, I should check obvious overheating and any other warning signs....then continue to find a dealer or mechanic at a more convenient time.

My first comment is I probably would check everything possible if light is flashing and continue driving to nearest Mercedes mechanic rather than call a wrecker. ?????
My second comment would be to check fuel cap tightness.

What is the meaning between "flashing" and "non-flashing" engine light?

I KNOW you fine folks could surely improve on what my actions should be. Whether they are correct or not. I love this forum. My wife informs old me that no one calls them "wreckers" anymore - they are tow trucks. I still get teased about saying "footfeet" instead of accelerator pedal.

My neighbor says he thinks most auto parts stores will loan you a scanner to plug in your vehicle. Is that true?
Millberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #30

Most national auto parts stores will either scan for you or loan it to you.

You can buy a hand held scan gauge to read your OBD port(s) for around $30 on up.

The Scan Gauge II not only will give you diagnostics as a hand held scan gauge will, it will provide a lot of other useful information.
Oldtymeflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:01 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks so much. I did that Saturday with O'Reilly Auto Parts and was told glow plug number 6 was bad. I have got to get that Scan Gauge for sure. Thank you.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #32

***UPDATE!*** - James from ScanGauge, are you there???

As I had originally stated, I was unable to get tranny temp on my ScanGauge in my 2015 Sprinter 3500. James was kind enough to offer some new codes, which still didn't work. turned out I had an older version software installed. James resolved that for me a couple months ago, but camper was still under wraps for winter.

Yesterday was D-Day, D as in driving! Happy to report new software/programming (Kudos to James and ScanGauge!) made a huge difference! Now getting tranny temp fine! Whoo Hoo!

Another question for James - MPG readings are waaayyy off - really low... Fuel tank was full, so haven't refilled yet. When I reset for fill-up will that change the MPG reading? Something seems off - even current MPG was reading about 4 mpg under trip setting... any suggestions? Thanks!

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Does the "Flashing" or "Non-Flashing" engine light make a difference though? Is it true what I read about if "flashing", pull over and call a tow truck versus "non-flashing" engine light means drive to nearest place to have it worked on? Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
***UPDATE!*** - James from ScanGauge, are you there???

As I had originally stated, I was unable to get tranny temp on my ScanGauge in my 2015 Sprinter 3500. James was kind enough to offer some new codes, which still didn't work. turned out I had an older version software installed. James resolved that for me a couple months ago, but camper was still under wraps for winter.

Yesterday was D-Day, D as in driving! Happy to report new software/programming (Kudos to James and ScanGauge!) made a huge difference! Now getting tranny temp fine! Whoo Hoo!
Good to hear Trans Temp is reporting! I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

Quote:
Another question for James - MPG readings are waaayyy off - really low... Fuel tank was full, so haven't refilled yet. When I reset for fill-up will that change the MPG reading? Something seems off - even current MPG was reading about 4 mpg under trip setting... any suggestions? Thanks!
When you perform the 'Fill-Up' routine on the ScanGauge the next time you fill your tank that will definitely help with the MPG reading. Off the bat, the MPG reading can be a little High/Low, but the 'Fill-Up' routine is great for improving the MPG accuracy. Every time it's done, the ScanGauge will compare it's fuel used calculation to what the actual fuel usage was and then adjust it's MPG calculation towards the correct result. I know with some large tanks it's not practical to fill it up every time, so if that's the case just let me know and I can tell you how to adjust the MPG calculation directly.

Also, the Engine Size and Fuel Type can impact the MPG calculation quite a bit, so I always recommend double checking those to be sure they're entered correctly. Those proper settings combined with inputting the 'Fill-Up' data whenever you fill up should lead to more accurate MPG readings.
ScanGauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #35

Thanks again, James! Only down maybe a 1/4 tank, so need a few more miles before filling it - likely later this week. Will give that a go! Thanks again - will post an update if that fixes the MPG readout. ST

Old 05-03-2018, 06:17 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
James - Scan Gauge can you see if you can work out a code for DEF level? I know that it monitors it because it will warn if too low and starting in late 2016 they added a display. My 2015 does not have it. Thanks
Old 05-03-2018, 07:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneypaul View Post
James - Scan Gauge can you see if you can work out a code for DEF level? I know that it monitors it because it will warn if too low and starting in late 2016 they added a display. My 2015 does not have it. Thanks
My 2016 Prism 24G (Sept 15 build date) will display the DEF level.

Within 2 seconds of turning on the ignition, press and hold the M button. It will display the number of miles left before an oil change is due. Press it again (maybe 2x) and it will give the DEF level in a display that looks like the fuel level.

I agree, it would be easier if there was an alternate method.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
My 2016 Prism 24G (Sept 15 build date) will display the DEF level.

Within 2 seconds of turning on the ignition, press and hold the M button. It will display the number of miles left before an oil change is due. Press it again (maybe 2x) and it will give the DEF level in a display that looks like the fuel level.

I agree, it would be easier if there was an alternate method.
Not sure of the build date for my 2015 chassis but I don’t think it has it. But thanks I will give it a try.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #39

No luck checking DEF level via dash on my 2015 Sprinter - only get miles to next service due.

James - did find ScanGauge parameters weren't set right - so now have correct engine size/fuel type/tank size plugged in. should have it out this week for another ride and fill-up! Will see how we do!

Old 05-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #40

Quote:
No luck checking DEF level via dash on my 2015 Sprinter - only get miles to next service due.
What else comes up if you press the M button a couple more times after seeing the miles til next oil change?
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #41

Hi A.D.! When I press M it only toggles between the 2 screens, or lets me rest the clock...

Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Hi A.D.! When I press M it only toggles between the 2 screens, or lets me rest the clock...

Today, James DeLong sent me the codes for DEF tank readout on my Winnebago Era (Sprinter 3500). I managed to get these entered into the x Gauge and now have a readout for RTL (reagent tank level).
Thank you, James DeLong!
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote