Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #1

Scan Gauge 2 for sprinter?

Would like to get better info on engine performance so as to hopefully avoid some of the expensive emissions related issues some have reported with the sprinter. I guess specifically I'm wondering if it monitors exhaust temps. Anyone using scan gauge or other and does it give you useful info? I have a generic OBD2 adapter but am hesitant to use a cheapo adapter after reading that there have been electrical problems with the insurance monitors.
Thanks in advance,
George
2016 Villagio/2015 3500 Chassis
gchapell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put scan gauge in both the RV and my F150. Scan Gauge will report any parameter reported by your engine management system. You can send them an email or call them with the specifics of your vehicle and they can tell you what it can do for you. I love them to monitor temps but also fuel usage, and trip info. I have found them to be a great company to deal with.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:19 PM   #3

Mother might not be a wise investment for a Sprinter. STBenz has propriety codes for some engine features...go figure! I moved my Scangage II from our previous Chevy roadtrek to our Sprinter-based Prism, but turns out it won't read a tranny temp, which is what I really wanted - either secret squirrel code, or no sending unit. So I watch engine load (LOD in Scangage lingo). Also, fuel economy used to be pretty reliable on the Chevy - I have yet to get (after 17,000 miles) any consistent reading from 1 tank of fuel to the next - can't figure that one out. So

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You will get lots of data, some of it even useful, but probably nothing that will prevent what is well covered under the Emissions Warranty (5-7 years depending on your state). It's really hard to run anything, transmission or exhaust gas, too hot when you live where it is flat. Service your Sprinter when needed, use Mercedes spec'd fluids, don't burn too much biodiesel (although it won't really hurt a new engine) and have fun with your Sprinter.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I installed a Scan Gauge D on my coach this past year and I like it a lot. It monitors systems that my dash instruments don't. Plus I can change the items monitored as conditions change. Such as Getting into mountains and keeping closer tabs on tranny temps etc. It's also small, easy to read and unobtrusive.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchapell View Post
Would like to get better info on engine performance so as to hopefully avoid some of the expensive emissions related issues some have reported with the sprinter. I guess specifically I'm wondering if it monitors exhaust temps. Anyone using scan gauge or other and does it give you useful info? I have a generic OBD2 adapter but am hesitant to use a cheapo adapter after reading that there have been electrical problems with the insurance monitors.
Thanks in advance,
George
2016 Villagio/2015 3500 Chassis
Hi gchapell,

I'm James DeLong, and I do a lot of the XGauge work (basically vehicle specific gauge readouts) for the ScanGauge. I've done a little work on the Sprinter 3500 recently and was able to monitor quite a few additional gauges.

Here's the list I have:
  • Rail Pressure (PSI)
  • Boost Pressure (PSI)
  • Exhaust Back Pressure (PSI)
  • Diesel Particulate Filter Delta Pressure (PSI)
  • Boost Air Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Upstream of Turbocharger (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Exhaust Temperature Upstream of Diesel Oxidation Catalytic Converter (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Exhaust Temperature Upstream of Diesel Particulate Filter (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Fuel Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Engine Oil Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
  • Fuel Tank Level (Gallons)
  • EGR Valve (%)
  • EGR Rate (%)
  • Transmission Torque Input (Nm)
  • Ratio of Current / Maximum Torque (%)
  • Engine Torque (Nm)
  • Diesel Particulate Filter Load (%)
  • Distance since last successful DPF Regen
  • Regen Status (On/Off)
  • Transmission Input Speed (RPM)
  • Transmission Output Speed (RPM)
  • Actual Gear (#)
  • Transmission Oil Temperature (Degrees Fahrenheit)
That's on top of all of the standard gauges such as coolant temperature, MPG, RPM, Battery Voltage, etc. I have a little data logging tool I could send you that could be used to figure out if all of the above would be available. Feel free to contact me directly at XGauge@Linear-Logic.com or through direct message on here.
ScanGauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #7

Hi James! Thanks for jumping in! I'm a fan of Scangauge, but haven't been able to get the right codes for transmission temp in my 2015 Sprinter 3500. since that's on your list, and one of the most-common reasons folks are adding this device, maybe you could share the codes with us? Thanks! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #8

Fantastic. Exactly what I was hoping for. I will contact you through xgauge.

Thank you,
George
Old 02-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

Scan Gauge II codes for 2015 Sprinter 3500 chassis

Kudos to Scan Gauge(Linear Logic) and James Delong. I have worked with him recently to determine codes available for the 2015 Sprinter. There are a lot that can be added through the Xgauge function which gets to many powertrain readings. DPF, EGR, Exhaust temps and many more.
Initially I called them and got kind of generic information from the person on the phone. James picked up my inquiry from this forum and and we got very good specific information which increases the value of the SGII imeasureably. An asset for the company and customer too.
Thank you James.
Chart for 2015 Sprinter 3500 Chassis attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SGII XGauge codes for 2015 Sprinter 3500 chassis.pdf (307.0 KB, 1296 views)
Old 02-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #10

Thumbs up Scan Gauge II on sale

BTW: SGII on sale at Autozone for $119 till 2/5.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchapell View Post
Kudos to Scan Gauge(Linear Logic) and James Delong. I have worked with him recently to determine codes available for the 2015 Sprinter. There are a lot that can be added through the Xgauge function which gets to many powertrain readings. DPF, EGR, Exhaust temps and many more.
Initially I called them and got kind of generic information from the person on the phone. James picked up my inquiry from this forum and and we got very good specific information which increases the value of the SGII imeasureably. An asset for the company and customer too.
Thank you James.
Chart for 2015 Sprinter 3500 Chassis attached.
Thanks for help gathering data gchapell. The code list that we have based on gchapell's 2015 Sprinter 3500 w/ the 3.0L Diesel engine can be found here: https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-co...w-3-0l-diesel/

I'm still working out exactly which models years these codes apply to, but I would hazard a guess that any 2015+ should support them. I imagine it's likely 2013's and 2014's may support it, if not even earlier model years. If anyone is able to try these out and confirm they work I would love to hear about it.

If anyone who doesn't have a ScanGauge but would like to know what's possible for their Sprinter, feel free to reach out to me here or at XGauge@Linear-Logic.com - we can usually give a pretty good idea after collecting some data from the vehicle. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,

James DeLong
Linear Logic LLC
Old 02-02-2018, 02:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks James! I have a 2011 Sprinter with a ScanGaugeII. I did see your warning that version 4.22 is required. While my SCII has version 4.13, I decided to try the Xcodes. The only one I'm positive worked is Fuel Tank level. The others, well a few seem to be right, but most don't. I've sent my SCII off to Linear Logic for Software update and will try again. My only question is the Transmission Temp: I've used TXD: 07E12130
RXF: 032200000000
RXD: 1808
MTH: 00090005FFC6
Title: I used ATF
For several years, works great for transmission temp and hundreds of View/Navion Owners from 2007 through 2017 Sprinters have used it. I see your TXD code is different. Can I inquire as to why?
lrcasella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Just a reminder for folks that the Scan Gauge D, while nice and relatively inexpensive, it can not be programmed for xCodes, so you can not read transmission temperature. I've been using an Autel MD802 All Systems to read many of the parameters James listed. However, that is a diagnostic tool and really can't use it traveling down the road like the ScanGaugeII. Even if I only added the fuel tank level - wow- that will be great having an exact digital readout instead of the highly conservative fuel gauge.
lrcasella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrcasella View Post
Thanks James! I have a 2011 Sprinter with a ScanGaugeII. I did see your warning that version 4.22 is required. While my SCII has version 4.13, I decided to try the Xcodes. The only one I'm positive worked is Fuel Tank level. The others, well a few seem to be right, but most don't. I've sent my SCII off to Linear Logic for Software update and will try again. My only question is the Transmission Temp: I've used TXD: 07E12130
RXF: 032200000000
RXD: 1808
MTH: 00090005FFC6
Title: I used ATF
For several years, works great for transmission temp and hundreds of View/Navion Owners from 2007 through 2017 Sprinters have used it. I see your TXD code is different. Can I inquire as to why?
I'll have to check on that as I'm not sure why haha. However, since the one you listed apparently works without issue on a wide range I'll update the list with that code.