Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2018, 07:15 AM   #29

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

We ended up staying with a class A so as to have room for our dog and 2 cats.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
[QUOTE=HighDesert;4000445]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
High Desert - you need to understand the ULSD fuel is the only diesel fuel allowed to be sold in the US and Canada - and has been for the past 10 years. Not only is it easy to find, it is the only diesel you are going to find.

And yes, you can use biodiesel. Mercedes prefers you use B5 or lower but you can use up to B20

ULSD May be what law says, but many stations only sell biodiesel. I ran into this a lot on my trip last summer in Idaho, and a few other states. Here in Oregon, Shell stations (mostly) only carry biodiesel. I would only run bio in my rig as s last resort due to seepage into oil pan.
Yes, and I have notice that even Pilot/Flying J and Love's truck diesel has a small % of biodiesel.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmh View Post
Hi,

I am seriously considering a Sprinter, and have a some questions.

We have a 35ft gas clas A which we use t for about 40 nights a year (10 nights being the longest). We literally use the coach to sleep in and for its kitchen and bathroom, we are out kayaking and hiking in or sitting by a campfire.

We toured a Winnebago View 24g last year and liked the floorplan. My wife insists on a walk around queen bed and not a sofa sleeper.

Driving our Class A is fine but there are really nice campgrounda it precludes us from. Also I feel with a shorter/narrower coach I would go further afield. We do need space for 2 other people to sleep occasion, so a cab over would be good.

Here are my questions.

1. How does a Sprinter compare to a gas class A for handling and driveability.

2. Currently have 50/50gallon black and grey, 65 water 75 gas and 23 propane. Would it be practical/safe to bring extra diesel, water, portable propane tank and black/grey in a trailer along with bikes and kayaks. Also could these be carried in a toad.

3. We do not use our class A at all in winter due to the ice and snow, how would a Sprinter handle it and how can I stop the chasis from rusting.

4. Anyone downsize to one and regret it.

5. Is there room for a dog crate when parked for a 60lb lab.

Would appreciate any other advice.

Thanks,
Thor Citation Sprinter 24SS (Siesta 24SS)

1. How does a Sprinter compare to a gas class A for handling and driveability.
Handling and drivability are great in a Sprinter.

2. Currently have 50/50gallon black and grey, 65 water 75 gas and 23 propane. Would it be practical/safe to bring extra diesel, water, portable propane tank and black/grey in a trailer along with bikes and kayaks. Also could these be carried in a toad.
Fresh - 36 gal., Black - 38 gal., Gray - 35 gal., Diesel - 26.4 gal, Propane - 62.2 lbs. With just two of us, we usually can do 4-5 days before we have to dump the Black Tank. Diesel mileage will be much greater than a gas engine, we average 13.2 mpg but have gotten higher

3. We do not use our class A at all in winter due to the ice and snow, how would a Sprinter handle it and how can I stop the chasis from rusting.
Buy an RV Cover to keep the weather out. We get more sleet/freezing rain than snow, here. Our MH is stored outside a couple miles away. A halfway decent class C cover runs around $300.

4. Anyone downsize to one and regret it.
We didn't downsize, but every time I've talked about it with wife, and after reading lots of stories about class A handling problems and talking to friends/family with class A's, I'm glad to have a Class C.

5. Is there room for a dog crate when parked for a 60lb lab.
There are just two of us and a 55 lb. dog. It depends on the crate size. We bought a crate a size smaller than her home crate, but usually don't put her in it, now that she's older, she just naps while we're gone, like at home. Depending on the MH, it might be tight quarters for 4 people and the crate.

You definitely would have to haul your bikes and kayaks in/on the toad as there is less room in a class C. We carry 2 bikes on a carrier on the back of our toad. We keep the folded up dog pen, extra bottled water and portable air compressor in the back of our toad.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
We moved up to a class A from Gulfstream on a Sprinter. We needed more room for the grand kids. We had zero complaints with the Sprinter. We averaged 14 mpg and now average 7 mpg with our class A. We didn't tow a car but do now. Didn't need the car with the Sprinter. The Sprinter is super easy to drive with enough power to tow. We would sometimes tow a 2k # flat trailer with no issue. As far as tanks we would dump and refill when we stopped and still due. We could go five day's with no problem. My Sprinter was a 2009 and did not have Blu Tech and require DEF fluid like the newer models. If it was the two of us and our Labs I would still own one.
fcbbob15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:54 PM   #33

After reading your wants and needs, I suggest you look at the LTV Unity, Island Bed.
LTV is hands down one of the best Class C rigs on the market today. The only con is they are like having a baby, it takes nine months from the date of order to delivery unless you are lucky enough to find a new or used one on the lot.

https://leisurevans.com/unity/floorplans/
Old 05-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
If you believe anything in these articles, then yes, stick with gas. These have been so thoroughly debunked since they were first published that it just underscores that "everything you read on the internet is true" - not.
Yes, most of the the Stephen's article is just such complete nonsense that it's not even worth the effort to dispute.

To correct some earlier info, the SCR aka DEF aka Adblue system was installed on 2010 and later vehicles, not 2007 and later. In 2007 the newer NCV3 chassis and OM-642 V6 engine were introduced however the V6 didn't get SCR until 2010. But yes, the early (2010-2012-ish) SCR systems do have a reputation for poor reliability and expensive repairs. These issues are less frequent in more recent vehicles but still do occasionally raise their head. Because of this those in the used market might be advised to look for a Sprinter RV with a 2007-2009 chassis (and these can be incredible bargains considering what you get for the price.)

On the plus side, as others have noted the Sprinter Class C chassis is very comfortable and much more pleasant to drive than the typical Ford F350/450, in fact you could even call them fun to drive, and can turn in an honest 16 mpg if you keep speeds reasonable. And while they are undeniably more complicated than a gas vehicle, with proper maintenance they are commonly known to go out to multiple 6-figure mileage numbers with little more than normal maintenance (if you choose your model year carefully.) Also FWIW MB's biodiesel prohibition is related to long-term running and storage on biodiesel, an occasional tank of B5-B20 on the road is no problem at all.

With regard to downsizing, we went from a 38' fifth wheel (when we were full-timing) to a Winnie View and the freedom to go anywhere without all the logistical exercises has transformed RVing. We will not be going to back to a behemoth. The Sprinter is clearly not the best choice for those still full-timing, but OTOH we (2 adults and a cat) spent 5 months in ours on a long trip across the country and up to Alaska and had no problems. But such things are so subjective and personal no one else can really tell you what you need.

Sprinters may not be the best choice for those who like to drop their vehicle and a credit card at a dealer for any and all maintenance and repairs, but for those who are capable of a reasonable amount of owner maintenance a lightly-used Sprinter Class C can be one of the best deals in compact RVing around.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #35

Hi 1stmh, we had a 30' Class A and find the Sprinter Class C is much easier to drive, park, and stay cool with great a/c up front. Sunseeker by Forest River has the walk around queen in the back.

Everything is smaller - tanks in the 30's, propane much smaller which our Gen runs on and we get diesel about every 230 miles. Not hard to manage the smaller sizes.
It was the best decision for us to downsize, and it is the perfect size for any camping spot. When the full wall slide is open there is a big open space - plenty of room for our two furry kids and their beds - one is 50 lbs. Your crate will need to go on top of the dinette setup as bed when the slide is in, or in the aisle.

Ours had some spray foam on certain under parts, maybe to reduce rusting but no signs of rusting 3 yrs later.

Driveability and handling is probably better due to the Hellwig anti-sway suspension, as we barely move when a truck passes. We have not customized anything for driveability, whereas my brother bought a new Class A at the same time and spent upwards of $5K setting up the suspension to not sway, or roll.

Hope I answered your questions and this helps. Our Sunseeker 2400W Bluetec diesel by Forest River was a lucky find for us, and have had great results so far.

Good luck in your search!
Gary
Sunseeker24W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:21 AM   #36

We are also thinking of downsizing to a Sprinter from our 32' A.

As far as the kennel, get a collapsible/folding one....storage problem solved.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:28 PM   #37

Hi all,

I am the original poster. We decided to stay with a Class A.

Thanks,