Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,975
Seriously looking at a Sprinter B+/C and have questions

Hi,

I am seriously considering a Sprinter, and have a some questions.

We have a 35ft gas clas A which we use t for about 40 nights a year (10 nights being the longest). We literally use the coach to sleep in and for its kitchen and bathroom, we are out kayaking and hiking in or sitting by a campfire.

We toured a Winnebago View 24g last year and liked the floorplan. My wife insists on a walk around queen bed and not a sofa sleeper.

Driving our Class A is fine but there are really nice campgrounda it precludes us from. Also I feel with a shorter/narrower coach I would go further afield. We do need space for 2 other people to sleep occasion, so a cab over would be good.

Here are my questions.

1. How does a Sprinter compare to a gas class A for handling and driveability.

2. Currently have 50/50gallon black and grey, 65 water 75 gas and 23 propane. Would it be practical/safe to bring extra diesel, water, portable propane tank and black/grey in a trailer along with bikes and kayaks. Also could these be carried in a toad.

3. We do not use our class A at all in winter due to the ice and snow, how would a Sprinter handle it and how can I stop the chasis from rusting.

4. Anyone downsize to one and regret it.

5. Is there room for a dog crate when parked for a 60lb lab.


Would appreciate any other advice.

Thanks,
__________________

__________________
2008 Itasca Latitude 37g UFO.
Former 2005 Damon Daybreak 3270F.
No Toad.
Unicorn Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Unplanned's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Posts: 2,396
I miss going to the forestry campsites with the old truck and camper, but love the comfort of the class A.
No matter what you have, there is always give and take. Just go with whatever makes you happy and you can afford.
Happy Glamping.
__________________

__________________
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I miss going to the forestry campsites with the old truck and camper, but love the comfort of the class A.
No matter what you have, there is always give and take. Just go with whatever makes you happy and you can afford.
Happy Glamping.
Thanks unplanned.

If could use whatever we have all year round I would be happy.
__________________
2008 Itasca Latitude 37g UFO.
Former 2005 Damon Daybreak 3270F.
No Toad.
Unicorn Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi,

I am seriously considering a Sprinter, and have a some questions.

We have a 35ft gas clas A which we use t for about 40 nights a year (10 nights being the longest). We literally use the coach to sleep in and for its kitchen and bathroom, we are out kayaking and hiking in or sitting by a campfire.

We toured a Winnebago View 24g last year and liked the floorplan. My wife insists on a walk around queen bed and not a sofa sleeper.

Driving our Class A is fine but there are really nice campgrounda it precludes us from. Also I feel with a shorter/narrower coach I would go further afield. We do need space for 2 other people to sleep occasion, so a cab over would be good.

Here are my questions.

1. How does a Sprinter compare to a gas class A for handling and driveability. The Sprinter is far easier to drive and maneuver. It drives more like a large pickup than a motorhome.

2. Currently have 50/50gallon black and grey, 65 water 75 gas and 23 propane. Would it be practical/safe to bring extra diesel, water, portable propane tank and black/grey in a trailer along with bikes and kayaks. Also could these be carried in a toad. It's neither practical or safe to tote extra fuel.
What would you use it for? You could get a portatank for waste, but why bother when the dump station will be close by.


3. We do not use our class A at all in winter due to the ice and snow, how would a Sprinter handle it and how can I stop the chasis from rusting. I personally wouldn't drive it in snow and ice (or any other motorhome). The frame seems to be coated so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

4. Anyone downsize to one and regret it. Moving from a class A is always a compromise. We can't carry as much but then again, we didn't use it in the other coach. So, no regrets.

5. Is there room for a dog crate when parked for a 60lb lab. Depends on the floorplan. The 24D has the largest floor space and a crate would not be a problem. We have a 24V and it might be. Our dog,
a 60lb lab mix does fine without a crate and she will settle down on whichever seat is available.



Would appreciate any other advice.

Thanks,
Try the other floorplans. What you are looking for and how you use it says go for the highest CCC available. The 24G is the lowest of the bunch. The CCC is on the driver's door post of each model.
__________________
Roger & Mary
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (Sold)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Try the other floorplans. What you are looking for and how you use it says go for the highest CCC available. The 24G is the lowest of the bunch. The CCC is on the driver's door post of each model.
Thanks luvlabs,

Great point on the ccc.

I mentioned about fuel and a blueboy as some of the National forest camp grounds
I frequent do not have dump sites, the fuel
would be for a generator.
__________________
2008 Itasca Latitude 37g UFO.
Former 2005 Damon Daybreak 3270F.
No Toad.
Unicorn Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,975
Just looked at the D, thats a very nice floorplan.
__________________
2008 Itasca Latitude 37g UFO.
Former 2005 Damon Daybreak 3270F.
No Toad.
Unicorn Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,975
I would like to add that I would not be using in below say 20F. The question was more so if there was some ice and snow on Michigan shoulder season trips. If the forecast was for snow I would stay at home.
__________________
2008 Itasca Latitude 37g UFO.
Former 2005 Damon Daybreak 3270F.
No Toad.
Unicorn Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
HighDesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Powell Butte, Or.
Posts: 352
Similar situation but we downsized from a 31' 5th wheel (with the space / storage of a small home to the 24' MBS Sprinter. We got the Forest River 2400R, rear bed slide and dinette slide). To answer your questions:

Sizewise, we do not regret for a moment moving to the smaller unit. This allows us to go to the campsite we enjoy best, NF / BLM, while having all the comforts.

Yourselves, 2 adults, and the lab, doable. However, I hope they are good friends! Regardless of floorpan, 4 adults and an active Lab (they all are) can lead to some entertaining times moving around. However, with the swivel chairs of driver / passenger and dinette (or similar layout) it can be comfortable. Everyone is just not going to be up and about at the same time,

The tanks all hold 30 gallons of liquid each. We travel with 1/3 tank of FW to keep overall weight down, and fill up the FW once we arrive at, or before entering destination depending on what is a available. The propane tank holds about 10 gallons, and has yet to be an issue for us in running out.

We have no regrets about downsizing as this has allowed us to get back to the places we enjoy most. Handling of the rig is a piece of cake. Drives like a full size pickup. The diesel engine provides plenty of power and is economical once broke in. You will continually see claims of 16 - 17 mpg on diesel.

Dog crate and 60 # lab. Yep - it'll work. Just have to see if lab likes the crate as a refuge. However, it will take up a good-sized footprint in your usable floorspace. Just something to consider.

+2 adults. This is where overall weight comes into to being a factor. The overhead bunk shows a weight capacity of 450 pounds I believe. Access top and down can be interesting, depending on physical condition of said adults as it is a fairly tight fit getting up and small space between person and ceiling, but does work.

Now - just FYI: we travel as 2 adults and a small dog / crate. We have the 2400R unit which has the most CCC and storage space of the product line. We tow a 2 Dr Jeep JK Wrangler with our unit. What you need to really take a hard look at is 2 things: 1) layout and 2) storage. The unit with the full wall slide is nice, but has the least amount of CCC and storage space outside. Several times we have had people come up to us, look at the amount of outside storage, and say they wished they could have that much. Rear bed slide, "walk around bed / wall slide", or corner bed. Most people hate the corner bed setup as you almost have to be in it to make it up and whoever sleeps on the outside is not going to be happy abut being woken up and crawled over during the night. If you are going to have a toad, 4200 pounds tends to be the weight limit on the unit. Interior storage, we use the overhead bunk, lightweight plastic crates, and put the large, bulky items up there, along with the dogs items, first aid, etc.
We are on the road for a month this past summer and camped in NP campgrounds, mostly (no hookups). We had to fill the propane tank once, so not a big deal to worry abut carry a spare tanks. I would not carry spare tanks in the toad, at all or fuel for the RV. I don't let it get below 1/4 tank of diesel. And, with the MBS, you pretty much have to use ULSD as a requirement form MB. You have to be aware of what is available and ready to go to the next station if they don't have ULSD. Does that ean you cannot use BIO - no, just another set of issues you have to watch, if you do - ergo - filling up at a 1/4 tank minimum.

Hope this helps - ask more if you need more and good luck on the hunt.
__________________
2017 Forest River SunSeeker
Mercedes Benz Engine
Sprinter Chassis
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Similar situation but we downsized from a 31' 5th wheel (with the space / storage of a small home to the 24' MBS Sprinter. We got the Forest River 2400R, rear bed slide and dinette slide). To answer your questions:

Sizewise, we do not regret for a moment moving to the smaller unit. This allows us to go to the campsite we enjoy best, NF / BLM, while having all the comforts.

Yourselves, 2 adults, and the lab, doable. However, I hope they are good friends! Regardless of floorpan, 4 adults and an active Lab (they all are) can lead to some entertaining times moving around. However, with the swivel chairs of driver / passenger and dinette (or similar layout) it can be comfortable. Everyone is just not going to be up and about at the same time,

The tanks all hold 30 gallons of liquid each. We travel with 1/3 tank of FW to keep overall weight down, and fill up the FW once we arrive at, or before entering destination depending on what is a available. The propane tank holds about 10 gallons, and has yet to be an issue for us in running out.

We have no regrets about downsizing as this has allowed us to get back to the places we enjoy most. Handling of the rig is a piece of cake. Drives like a full size pickup. The diesel engine provides plenty of power and is economical once broke in. You will continually see claims of 16 - 17 mpg on diesel.

Dog crate and 60 # lab. Yep - it'll work. Just have to see if lab likes the crate as a refuge. However, it will take up a good-sized footprint in your usable floorspace. Just something to consider.

+2 adults. This is where overall weight comes into to being a factor. The overhead bunk shows a weight capacity of 450 pounds I believe. Access top and down can be interesting, depending on physical condition of said adults as it is a fairly tight fit getting up and small space between person and ceiling, but does work.

Now - just FYI: we travel as 2 adults and a small dog / crate. We have the 2400R unit which has the most CCC and storage space of the product line. We tow a 2 Dr Jeep JK Wrangler with our unit. What you need to really take a hard look at is 2 things: 1) layout and 2) storage. The unit with the full wall slide is nice, but has the least amount of CCC and storage space outside. Several times we have had people come up to us, look at the amount of outside storage, and say they wished they could have that much. Rear bed slide, "walk around bed / wall slide", or corner bed. Most people hate the corner bed setup as you almost have to be in it to make it up and whoever sleeps on the outside is not going to be happy abut being woken up and crawled over during the night. If you are going to have a toad, 4200 pounds tends to be the weight limit on the unit. Interior storage, we use the overhead bunk, lightweight plastic crates, and put the large, bulky items up there, along with the dogs items, first aid, etc.
We are on the road for a month this past summer and camped in NP campgrounds, mostly (no hookups). We had to fill the propane tank once, so not a big deal to worry abut carry a spare tanks. I would not carry spare tanks in the toad, at all or fuel for the RV. I don't let it get below 1/4 tank of diesel. And, with the MBS, you pretty much have to use ULSD as a requirement form MB. You have to be aware of what is available and ready to go to the next station if they don't have ULSD. Does that ean you cannot use BIO - no, just another set of issues you have to watch, if you do - ergo - filling up at a 1/4 tank minimum.

Hope this helps - ask more if you need more and good luck on the hunt.
Thanks for the reply HighDesert.

Thats a big transition from a 5th wheel indeed :-)

We only use the crate if we are leaving the dog by herself for a while, never more than 2 hours or never if ita over 75f. When on the road she has a harness that ties in to a seat belt, she goes to sleep on the sofa and wakes up when we stop.

I just looked at the Trend 23D and the single beds could do also, I think I could sell that to my wife.
__________________
2008 Itasca Latitude 37g UFO.
Former 2005 Damon Daybreak 3270F.
No Toad.
Unicorn Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Las Vegas NV.
Posts: 159
We moved from a Sprinter class C (Gulfstream) to a Class A. My only complaint With the Sprinter was the ccc. We were over by about 150lbs. It drove really well with great fuel mileage. (15mpg) Great around town and in the mountains. We had to dump every four or five days but that normally wasn't an issue. Our gen set was propane. Normally just the two of us and our 80lb lab. Moved up to class A so we could take the grandkids along and second lab. Sure wish my class A handled as good as the Sprinter. What ever you due look at CCC and make sure you can carry your stuff.
__________________
Robert, Sami and our driver Ella the puppy dog, co-driver Abby the puppy dog and the boss Katie.
2017 Winnebago Vista LX 35F. 5 Star Tune, CHF, Safe T Plus, Super Steer Trac Bar, 800 Watt Solar, ARP, Spare tire carrier, Acme EZE Tow, 2014 Nissan Juke.
fcbbob15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
We moved from a Sprinter class C (Gulfstream) to a Class A. My only complaint With the Sprinter was the ccc. We were over by about 150lbs. It drove really well with great fuel mileage. (15mpg) Great around town and in the mountains. We had to dump every four or five days but that normally wasn't an issue. Our gen set was propane. Normally just the two of us and our 80lb lab. Moved up to class A so we could take the grandkids along and second lab. Sure wish my class A handled as good as the Sprinter. What ever you due look at CCC and make sure you can carry your stuff.
Hi Bob,

CCC is a big one for us to watch out for.

Our current A does nor drive bad at all, but at 35ft it negates a lot of camp sites in Michigan state parks. We always find some where.

I think abour 28ft would be perfect for us.
__________________
2008 Itasca Latitude 37g UFO.
Former 2005 Damon Daybreak 3270F.
No Toad.
Unicorn Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,787
High Desert - you need to understand the ULSD fuel is the only diesel fuel allowed to be sold in the US and Canada - and has been for the past 10 years. Not only is it easy to find, it is the only diesel you are going to find.

And yes, you can use biodiesel. Mercedes prefers you use B5 or lower but you can use up to B20 if needed.
__________________
Roger & Mary
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (Sold)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Hermbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 100
Traded a Holiday Rambler Trip for a Thor 24ST and I regret it. We have a 85 pound lab we have to continually step over and around him where we didnít in the Trip. We had plenty of storage, same economy and maneuverability. Tried towing our Terraine and it was the tail wagging the dog. Plus the customer service from Thor sucks. But to each his own.
Hermbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
HighDesert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Powell Butte, Or.
Posts: 352
[QUOTE=luvlabs;3999075]High Desert - you need to understand the ULSD fuel is the only diesel fuel allowed to be sold in the US and Canada - and has been for the past 10 years. Not only is it easy to find, it is the only diesel you are going to find.

And yes, you can use biodiesel. Mercedes prefers you use B5 or lower but you can use up to B20

ULSD May be what law says, but many stations only sell biodiesel. I ran into this a lot on my trip last summer in Idaho, and a few other states. Here in Oregon, Shell stations (mostly) only carry biodiesel. I would only run bio in my rig as s last resort due to seepage into oil pan.
__________________

HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seriously, I mean seriously?? Please tell me this isn't typical. steveclv Just Conversation 43 08-05-2013 08:37 PM
Seriously looking at Newmar Scottsdale buckeyes Class A Motorhome Discussions 15 10-11-2008 04:27 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.