Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanjerome View Post
Thanks to all for these suggestions.

I guess I should also have mentionned that our View has close to 100,000 miles, and still has its original shocks...

Any comments anyone on SUMO vs Bilsteins shocks?
Not quite an exact comparison as my View is on the older T1N chassis, but your OEM rear shocks are most likely made by the same company as mine were. My were completely worn out to the point of providing virtually no resistance when held in both hands and compressed/extended, and these shocks had ~20K miles on them. That big heavy coach back there rocking around eats those shocks up.

I installed Koni Reds set on full stiff and this resolved 90% of my issues. Prev Owner had installed a Roadmaster replacement rear anti-sway bar, but with the worn out shocks, it was providing little help.

Now a one handed dream to drive.

Charles
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #16

I just installed konis front and back, hellwig sway bar 1.5in, and full alignment. It is day and night handling.

The Mercedes-Benz tech said that Sprinters are designed for temporary loads with the stock suspension. He said once you upfit with permanent weight, the van should be re-aligned and replace stock shocks with he heavy duty ones.

Winnebago did not do that with my 2015 Era. So it drove like crap. I always check at shows, and yp u can see the stock shocks, so Winnebago still cheap and drive like crap. I had this complain since i bought mine new.

He was correct. Now with the new hardware, it drives like a car. No more excesive swaying while driving. Passing trucks swaying is almost not existent.

All my parts were $1,400. Dealer labor was $1,000. I had mine done at Mercedez of Morriston, NJ. Great service. You can talk to the tech, or slrinter advisor.
ctarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #17

Thanks to all...

For the rear of our rig,I will definitely go for the Helwig anti-sway abr; for the shocks, still debating between Bilstein, Koni and Sumo.
yvanjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #18

ERROR in my previous message: SUMO springs do not belong in my shocks debate... :-(
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #19

IMHO the Fox Shocks from Agile Off road as custom re valved for low speed rock and roll. Drive into a gas station maybe roll once with Fox. On another group, Calbiker tested many shocks. Read up on it. You can Google Calbiker.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #20

I just drove 1,000 miles with new suspension. At 65 mph it drives great. It sways a little when there is a string side wind.

Sway by passing trucks is the same as with any car. Very small sway.

Kids sit on the rear sofa. Previously the bouncing would send the kids to the ceiling. Now, the bouncing is reduced 95% the bouncing is now similar to a car.

Before 75mph would be a challenge. Now i had it up to 85mph. It drives very well comsidering the size.

Next is to fix the cabin noise. At 75mph, the noise cabin noise is a astonishing 85 decibels! Thank you again Winnebago. Winnebago shoukd include a free Vaseline pack with each new purchase.
ctarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #21

Thanks again to all for your insights.

CTARMOR: I am sorry to hear of your dispappointments with your Class B Winnebago Era. Our Class C VIEW is a 2010 with close to 100,000 miles on the meter, and other than the sidewind effect that started last year (on original stock shocks), I have no complaint at all about our RV, as it is quiet at any sped (my average is 65 mph). Yes, a home on wheels has many reasons to be noisier than a standard van, but should not be to the level your are describing; there must be something wrong somewhere. I hope you can get it resolved so you can enjoy your rig to the fullest.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #22

I would think that the. class B plus with the cab over and the larger and wider body will have more issues than a traditional class B van conversion, it's an air catching pocket up front.

...of course worn out shocks would add to the problem... good thing that you changed them at 100,000 miles..

I haven't thought about getting a sway bar.. driving dynamics on my Sprinter van is excellent with the dual wheels setup..

I have a class B van... See below,

https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/...beffb59e9eb708
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #23

Smile

Most RVs are going to be a little bit noiser than your car... unless you're driving an old VW Beetle ( air cooled)

My turbo diesel engine is pretty quiet..a lot quieter than you might expect....

Remember, diesel engines don't rev up as far as gasoline engines do.. they have a lot of low end torque.... and are more efficient than their gasoline counterparts..
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote