Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 07:27 AM   #1

Sprinter In Dash Radio

I have the Fusion Infotainment system in my 2018 Citation. I am on my second one the first being replaced under warranty. This one now has no sound output. I am thinking about replacing it with a double din. Maybe Alpine Sony etc. Anyone done this? If so did you lose any features?

I will tear it out and check for lose connections this winter before I do it. Would like to hear from anyone with experience.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #2

Just finished replacing the old system into our 2017 View (Sprinter 3500 chassis).
Bought a Sony XAV-AX5000 receiver. Very easy to install, If one is handy w/ soldering iron.
The only feature I lost was the steering wheel audio controls. I could have bought the electronics and wiring to retain the functions, but am going to try w/o. I can add in later, if necessary.

The only post installation issue was that the Sony has some idiotic lock-out that won’t let some features work unless the “parking brake” is activated. Grounded the “parking” lead on the Sony to fake it out.
winningbagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #3

Thanks
Old 12-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #4

A couple of years ago I had the original Stereo/Nav unit (Xlite I believe) replaced at a local audio installer with a Rosen unit. They were having some trouble getting the steering wheel controls to work, so I told them not to bother with it. Later we got the recall on the steering wheel interface unit from Winnebago, so I would have lost steering wheel controls anyway. While installing they said the "forgot" to hook up the parking brake control circuit so my passenger could watch a DVD on the system while the vehicle was in motion. I've never don that.
I was a bit skeptical having anyone tear apart the dash, but they knew what they were doing. All the plastic trim pieces popped right off, and went back on. Can't tell it was every taken apart.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's a YT video on putting an Alpine unit in a Sprinter. Huge screen and tons of functions added. Thinking about this one myself.

TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:26 PM   #6

That’s great thanks
Old 12-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

My Vita had a BOSS infosystem, complete junk, couldn't select things constantly. Just replaced with a Pioneer AVH 210ex. Very happy now, even improved sound out of speakers, which will be replaced next. All features of previous unit are retained, ie backup camera, bluetooth and remote control. simple but reliable cheap system. ($143).
Took my time and soldered all connections. Added wiring for rear speakers which the stock unit didn't have. Next search for some decent speakers.
Xerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #8

I have a Kenwood Excelon, https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/, for my in dash nav/multimedia head unit. I love it and have Sirius, rearview and sideview cameras attached to it as well. Pioneer AVIC series is popular as well. Lots of information here, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...io+replacement.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
I have a Kenwood Excelon, https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/, for my in dash nav/multimedia head unit. I love it and have Sirius, rearview and sideview cameras attached to it as well. Pioneer AVIC series is popular as well. Lots of information here, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...io+replacement.

Thanks, do u remember the model number of your Kenwood?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting subject. The original Winnebago infotainment unit in my 2016 Era squatted. After a couple of telephone walk_thrus failed to solve the problem, the manufacturer, whose name escapes me replaced the unit under Randy, all I had to pay was $80-90 installation charge. It has worked flawlessly. I would have upgraded to a Kenwood in a New York minute, IF, the unit was not almost useless because of the location in the coach and the almost constant reflective glare from the face making viewing from the drivers seat impossible. I have been told that there is no way to cant the unit in it's housing and I have been unable to find a suitable shield. The hands free telephone with steering wheel buttons works and I have a free standing Garmin GPS.
Sure wish there was a shield out there, somewhere.
604eholston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:21 PM   #11

VonGreg, I have a 2014 Leisure Travel Van with a Kenwood Excelon DNX691hd. It does everything I need, but you may want a more current model depending on the features your are looking for. I will definitely go with a Kenwood in my next Sprinter.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #12

Thanks everyone, I decided to go with a Kenwood DMX7706S. It has the Apple Car Play and two camera inputs. Hopefully that will ease the install. I will tear the old system out and install the new after the first of the year.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #13

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
I have a Pioneer in dash in a 2017 MB. I was trying to see what features it had and just plugged a description into the internet. What showed up was an aftermarket 2003-2008 MB C550 (a sedan) unit. I wonder if the dealer swapped this unit with what was originally supplied to upgrade somebodies else's vehicle?
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
VonGreg, I have a 2014 Leisure Travel Van with a Kenwood Excelon DNX691hd. It does everything I need, but you may want a more current model depending on the features your are looking for. I will definitely go with a Kenwood in my next Sprinter.
I also would like to upgrade my stereo (Winnebago installed Jensen unit) but want to retain my side view cameras. How did you connect three cameras to your Kenwood. The manual for that model shows two inputs.

Thank you.

Tags
dash, radio