Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 04:08 AM   #1

Sprinter Motorhome - No Car

We are downsizing from a large diesel and dont want to tow a car. We may tow a dune buggy on some trips.

Has anyone successfully used the RV as a vacation driver to see sights, go shopping etc
NextAdventur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 06:40 AM   #2

We (me/wife/small dog) do it all the time. We have an Itasca Navion (class C). Great mileage, easy to drive, easy to find parking space. All it takes is a little planning. We stock food and necessities prior to leaving, and resupply as required. Our longest trip has been 4 weeks. Lots of weekend trips, heading to Yellowstone this summer.
EShuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #3

I am thinking of doing this also.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #4

personally, I would certainly not want to tow a vehicle behind my 'vehicle' if I were going this route... it seems a little overkill, at least to me. 'Breaking camp' might seem a little annoying at times, but with a sprinter or similar vehicle, especially if no slides, it seems very easy.

Some folks are really into parking their 'rig', then sightseeing or off roading, etc., where a toad would almost be a necessity, but otherwise it would probably be a big additional cost and effort for very little 'overall' use.

We went thru Canada, around Alaska, back thru Canada and the western US last year without our toad. Other than once, we didn't miss it and didn't need it. The 'once' was when our helicopter flight at Denali Place was postponed due to weather and we made several trips back and forth from our rv park until the flight was back on. No biggy in the scheme of things, though.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #5

I have a friend that pulls a Fiat 500 behind his class C. Very light car, easy to tow. It’s nice to have a vehicle to try different restaurants or short shopping trips. Driving the Navion is easy, but I would not recommend navigating through NY or other large congested city. Uber works in this situation. Uber doesn’t work that well in Zion or Moab.
EShuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We did it for 5 years, No problem as long as you plan ahead. Stock up food, plan ahead for shuttles in national park when available. The hardest thing for us was keeping someone from moving into are campsite, had to block off when leaving. Have now traded up to a class A and now tow a car. Sure miss how much easier the Sprinter was in small camp grounds. Fuel mileage was better too.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:00 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We started off with no tow vehicle and that lasted about 3 weeks of our first trip. We take 3-4 month trips a couple of times a year. Breaking camp to sight see, shop, run errands became a hassle. Even parking it in some or the towns we went to were not easy. So we now tow a small car and have no idea how we did it with out the car
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #8

When we had the Forest River Solera we towed a Jeep Wrangler. But that is because where we wanted to go 4wd high clearance was required.

I would not have been afraid to drive the Solera anywhere in town. It handles quite well. My truck at the time was a GMC crew cab long bed. I think that is 22.5 feet. The Solera at 24 feet is only an extra foot and a half longer. Not a big deal unless you are trying to park on the hills of San Francisco.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:09 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I went my first 4 years without a toad. When I think back it’s unbelievable to me how much I missed on my trips because of not wanting to disconnect and reconnect plus just feeling stuck. I really love having my toad now. I like to park my Navion iQ in a campground or boondock and then use the toad to explore as far as 100 miles in all directions. I’d never go back to no toad.
Sandi
Old 03-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My advice is to have a toad. Yellowstone parking lots are overflowing with Class C rigs without toads. Parking becomes very limited with a bunch of toadless motorhomes clogging up the lots. Same thing happens in other popular national parks.

Think of towing something smaller. It may not be your everyday driver but it will get you to exhibits, shopping, repair services if you breakdown, and so on. Wouldn't be without one.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
My advice is to have a toad. Yellowstone parking lots are overflowing with Class C rigs without toads. Parking becomes very limited with a bunch of toadless motorhomes clogging up the lots. Same thing happens in other popular national parks.

Think of towing something smaller. It may not be your everyday driver but it will get you to exhibits, shopping, repair services if you breakdown, and so on. Wouldn't be without one.
luvlabs and I are on the same page here. We started roadless then figured out how much we hated taking down and resetting the campsite every time we wanted to go do or see something using the class C. Admittedly, the Sprinter chassis handles well and moves through congestion and parking lots like a full sized pickup, but you still have tear camp down every time and redo. We ended up with a Jeep JK and it works well for us, tows well, and goes anywhere we want.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I got 2013 Honda Fit and it makes a perfect toad. If you decide to get a toad, make sure it can be towed 4 down. When I decided to make the change, I had a Prius which couldn’t be towed 4 down. I’m not sure, but that may not be possible with newer Honda Fits.
Sandi
Old 03-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #13

Another Sprinter "B+" with toad here! We "up-sized" - put 100,000 miles on a Roadtrek "B" before moving to the "B+". Yes, size-wise the B+ handles great, one of the BIG issues I had was finding a level-enough parking spot to keep the fridge happy all day! As others mentioned, we've had our campsite taken while we've been out for the day - not a lot of fun when you get back at 11pm and the CG is now full... And we did all sorts of things to mark our sites as "taken"... Also felt limited on places we could go - we like remote spots, which often translates to rough roads. Made for either VERY slow rides to avoid shaking everything loose inside, or missing out on some sights. Can't fit in parking garages, so urban sites were often limited. We have rented cars when we visited places, but that came at a cost, both $ and time. so this time around went with the toad, which has worked out VERY well for us over the past 3 seasons. Gotta figure out what will work for you! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Prior MH's, 31ft gas "A", 10yrs and 36ft DP 15years, basically always with a toad. Present Sprinter "C", 2 1/2 years 31000miles and never use toad on trips. Did rent a car in Niagara to visit Canadian side.
I still have a Suzuki toad available that I use when I leave the RV at the dealers. (RV or Mercedes) and I carry a hitch mounted bicycle on the RV for use in campgrounds.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome