Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #15

The View comes with 2 G24. The upgrade amounts to a 40% upgrade over the standard. Easy to install. As you now have two 6 VDC you need to attach one side to positive the other battery gets the ground the extra cable is attach to be the two remaining terminals
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #16

Batteries

I swapped out my 12 volt for 6 volt interstate golf cart batteries and found them to be much better. They take longer to charge but are very slow to discharge.

My 150 watt solar keeps up well
mike Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Don View Post
Has anyone thought about switching over to Lithium Ion batteries? https://battlebornbatteries.com/

D

I did with a lithium inverter/battery charger (200AH) with 160W X 4 solar. Best decision ever. Hardly ever have to use the generator.
Rossinonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Has anyone thought about switching over to Lithium Ion batteries? https://battlebornbatteries.com/

D
I did this on my 2016 LTV Serenity. They were a direct drop in and are configured to be parallel since they are 12 volt batteries (2 required in my case). The factory supplied Magnum charger with remote control panel works perfectly for these batteries when set on the AGM #2 setting and the factory solar panel keeps them topped off when boondocking. They are half the weight of the wet cell golf cart batteries, and you can run these to the full capacity without risk of damaging the. Expected life is 10 years. I couldn't be happier with them at this point, but they are 6 months old. We were out over 3 months this year.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #19

Very interested in similar battery upgrade

I'd like to do something similar with my FR Sunseeker 2400R, i.e., a pair of lithium (LiPO) 12v batteries, and upgrade the PD Converter to lithium-compatible one. Did you add a SOC battery monitor? No solar now; not in my plans - Seems cheaper to run the genny every now and then, or drive to the next stop. Thanks.
TomeAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #20

Quote:

D
Yes. Plug and play.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #21

Disconnect batteries

I just picked up a 2018 Itasca Navion 24v, brought it home and parked it. After about 2 weeks I tried to get into it and everything was dead. Even the key FOB wouldn't work. I finally got it started, after charging everything up I parked it again and this time I plugged it in (110v). After a week I tried to start it and the chassis battery was dead. The batteries checked out okay and I understand there is a gradual drain. I have a few questions if anyone can help;

1. What is the best way to park these things for short times? Turn button by the door off?, Disconnect chassis battery by the accelerator pedal?

2. I understand plugging it in will charge the house batteries but why doesn't it charge the chassis battery too? Is there a fix for this? The dealership mentioned installing a battery Combiner Unit, Is this the best solution and where do I put it? (If they do it, it's $500, if I do it it's still over $100)

I appreciate any assistance, I had my last RV for 18 years (not nearly as high tech) never had problems like this, I need to get with the times.
Widener60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widener60 View Post
I just picked up a 2018 Itasca Navion 24v, brought it home and parked it. After about 2 weeks I tried to get into it and everything was dead. Even the key FOB wouldn't work. I finally got it started, after charging everything up I parked it again and this time I plugged it in (110v). After a week I tried to start it and the chassis battery was dead. The batteries checked out okay and I understand there is a gradual drain. I have a few questions if anyone can help;

1. What is the best way to park these things for short times? Turn button by the door off?, Disconnect chassis battery by the accelerator pedal?

2. I understand plugging it in will charge the house batteries but why doesn't it charge the chassis battery too? Is there a fix for this? The dealership mentioned installing a battery Combiner Unit, Is this the best solution and where do I put it? (If they do it, it's $500, if I do it it's still over $100)

I appreciate any assistance, I had my last RV for 18 years (not nearly as high tech) never had problems like this, I need to get with the times.

Widener
Disconnect the ground at the accelerator pedal.
I store my 2018 Thor Citation in a storage lot. Several folks on this forum suggested doing this. Check the owners manual for proper procedure. I also connect it once a month and run it for about 30 minutes to keep the battery built up.
Hermbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #23

I keep the 110 plugged in for house batteries and have a trickle charger on chassis battery.
Oscarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widener60 View Post

There is a fix for this and it is especially useful if you have solar. The device is called the Tric-L-Start and it provides a trickle charge to your chassis battery when the house batteries are charged. It works whether or not you have the coach plugged in while parked or if you are using solar. The device attaches to your charge relay (under the passenger seat) and completely solves the issues you experienced.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermbike View Post
Widener
Disconnect the ground at the accelerator pedal.
I store my 2018 Thor Citation in a storage lot. Several folks on this forum suggested doing this. Check the owners manual for proper procedure. I also connect it once a month and run it for about 30 minutes to keep the battery built up.
Shut it off and let it sit about 5 minutes for all of the computers to reset themselves. then push the button and pull the cable off the stud on the firewall above the accelerator.

Finding it in the owners manual is difficult because they call it an ISOLATING SWITCH.

2018 Sprinter owners manual

Look on pages 118-119 of the 2018 owners manual.

2017 Sprinter owners manual

Look on pages 116-117 of the 2017 owners manual.

With the Tric-L-Start installed, you would leave the battery connected.

Charles
Old 02-17-2020, 02:02 PM   #26

Concerning the battery life. My 2018 Thor Citation is on a 2016 chassis. Due to health issues I haven’t been able to use it much. However during storage I do disconnect the battery from the disconnect by the accelerator pedal and run it once a month. However, I just had to have the battery replaced. I figure this unit sat at the factory months on end plus the dealer and when I first got it I didn’t disconnect the battery until I read it on here. The dealer did replace it under warranty though. These units have many components that draw down the battery over a short period of time, consequently you should monitor it closely. You don’t want to be boon-docking and get stuck with dead battery.
Hermbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
I replaced my NAPA batteries yesterday with Costco GC 6 Volt. I am planning a trip south this winter and will park at rest areas. Given the propane heater uses 7amps running and othe use, I felt the upgrade was needed. Costco GC are 83.00. Ea. 210 amp hours. The NAPA are not a true deep cycle. I bought my 15 View in May of 15. They would probably would have worked fine, but I will feel better with my upgrade. My Costco Batteres have. Aug 17 date. It important to get batteries that are three months old or less.
The View has a great 4 way 45 amp battery charge. It will keep your batteries in top shape.
Did you have to connect the batteries differently? ie., 6 volt vs 12 volt system ? Thanks
dvbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvbis View Post
Did you have to connect the batteries differently? ie., 6 volt vs 12 volt system ? Thanks
Yes.

12V batteries are hooked up in parallel.

6V batteries are hooked in series (to produce 12V).
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries