Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNSue View Post
Hi Crabb E,
We made the trip from LA to East Tennessee safely. Drove around 60 - 62 mph to avoid issues with towing and quick stops or turns. Felt a slight shimmy, almost like a tire being out of round but nothing annoying.

Encountered a new issue while towing. The Sprinter runs true when towing and a cargo trailer tracks very nicely. What we did encounter was water getting into the 7 pin connector and shorting power between a hot lead and the brakes. It reminded me of when an ignition system got wet and cause an engine misfire but diesels don't have that problem. Stopped and cleaned the connector and the issue abated until it got wet again. Finally ended up wrapping the connector in a plastic bag. Something to look out for if you end up towing an electric brake trailer in the rain.
Glad you had a safe trip home. Yea I drive 55-60 and the shimmy isn't too bad. Like you said like a tire out of round. Told wife it's good training for me so I don't drive so fast. Still waiting on second wheel from Jayco. Have heard of issues with Alcoa wheels as well. Might be the reason some brands of MB sprinter motorhomes are using only steel wheels. If problem is not taken care of by new aluminum wheels I think I will have MB install steel even if I have to pay out of pocket. Hope it doesn't come to that.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #100

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Thanks for the well wishes. The truck ran like a champ and towed over the rockies like they were not there.

One thought that comes to mind is the torque used on aluminum rims when installing. I know that Wal Mart is now required to use Torque Wrenches when replacing rims for new tire installation because of the risk of rim cracking due to improper loading. What you might be experiencing is a warping due to torque imbalances. That could also explain why some owners get a problem fixed without any "repairs" while others have the issue change a little. Just a thought....
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #101

Well had to send a nasty email to Jayco but the second wheel is supposed to be here tomorrow. We're leaving for a week tomorrow so hope to have them installed the week of the 21st. Keeping my fingers crossed that the shimmy will finally be gone. We shall see!!!
Old 10-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #102

Hopefully ALL tire installers use a torque wrench. Just "slamming on" new tires on vehicle with an impact gun (with or without torque limiter) is not a good idea, rotors hot from road heat can warp under those circumstances.
There are also better ways to mount tires on a vehicle though it takes a little bit more time & attention to detail. First tighten lugs by 'skipping' every other one going back to those lugs as you move say clock-wise around the tire. Tighten with torque wrench in increments, so if you need 100 lbs go 40, 60, 80 with the last action being smooth & all in one motion, do not stop until reaching that 100 lbs. But alas, too many shops concentrate on speed instead of quality service.
FlaCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #103

Wheels will be at MB dealer on Monday and installed on Tuesday. Will finally see if indeed it is the wheels. I sure hope so. Keep you posted.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #104

Still waiting on install. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #105

The shimmy's gone, the shimmy's gone!!!!!!!
Four new aluminum wheels did the trick.
Thank you Jayco.
Just wish it would have been taken care of sooner but at least it's fixed.
So there definitely is a solution for the dreaded Sprinter shimmy.
May not be the only fix but it worked for me.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:26 AM   #106

So good to hear. These kinds of problems are so costly in time to sort out.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #107

Awesome! Sad thing is, not a Mercedes issue, not a Jayco issue, it's whoever made the original rims that is at fault. That's the problem with components from so many different vendors... tough to figure it all out. Glad it worked out for you, this news should help others, too. ST
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
So good to hear. These kinds of problems are so costly in time to sort out.
Yes.
Whomever Jayco had drive it out to California should have let the dealership know there was a problem. I have to give a shout out to Vonhousen MB of Sacramento and especially Dave Rose their service adviser for all his help in getting this fixed. Also RV of Sacramento for working with them and Jayco.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
Awesome! Sad thing is, not a Mercedes issue, not a Jayco issue, it's whoever made the original rims that is at fault. That's the problem with components from so many different vendors... tough to figure it all out. Glad it worked out for you, this news should help others, too. ST
Yep. Rims straight out of China. Go figure!!!
Old 10-19-2019, 03:17 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabb E View Post
Yes.
Whomever Jayco had drive it out to California should have let the dealership know there was a problem. I have to give a shout out to Vonhousen MB of Sacramento and especially Dave Rose their service adviser for all his help in getting this fixed. Also RV of Sacramento for working with them and Jayco.
The navigation system on our Winnebago Navion logged the trip from the factory at Forest City, Iowa to Junction City, Oregon and was not reset. I discovered this after driving home and experiencing the wheel shake. As if turned out, the problem was the Continental tires and not the Alcoa Aluminum wheels. Reviewing the trip record, the delivery driver drove the new Mercedes chassis with wild abandon with a top speed of 83 MPH for 2,000 miles; a virtual Canonball Run. With the steering wheel shaking as much as two inches left and right the driver said nothing to the dealer? What kind of nonsense is that? There is a dealer just a few miles up the road from the factory and they make a point in their advertising about how you get to drive your new RV and break it in properly. They were not kidding as I can say from first hand experience. This abuse must be wide spread. We once spotted two brand new Newmar Baystar RVs each with a Jeep in tow driving a narrow mountain road in Oregon. This road has tight switchbacks, some cut into volcanic rock. The road restrictions were posted and a last chance turnaround was available, yet they were well beyond that point. It’s obvious that they were taking a shortcut across OREGON, but they should have been on the state highway. Not only did the drivers risk damage to the new RVs, but they posed a danger to the public; those coaches would have to drive into opposing traffic on blind turns. Nice to know your RV was used on a scenic tour. I’ve said it many times, if RV manufactures built airplanes, I would never fly anywhere.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:24 AM   #111

I just noticed my tag line..... everywhere is on the way to where you are going is okay if the rig is registered in your name.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #112

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
As if turned out, the problem was the Continental tires and not the Alcoa Aluminum wheels. I’ve said it many times, if RV manufactures built airplanes, I would never fly anywhere.

We have HiSpec aluminum wheels and changed out all six Condi tires for Michelin. Wonder if you had Alcoa wheels or HiSpec rims beforehand?
And I worked Aerospace for 40 years. I don't fly anymore. Mostly, I trust my own work and saw the decline of the industry as they tried to cut costs. Secondly, the age of flying has changed from an experience you could look forward to into a high flying bus through a rough neighborhood.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote