Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Sprinter Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl & Shelly View Post
Hi Mark,
My 2018 Wayfarer does this all the time, Salem dealer said it is normal,
in my case if I remove the key and then reinsert the key, it will crank right up,
Should I decide not to remove the key it can take 10 minutes or so for it to crank, never cold or first start up only after it has been running, shut off and go to restart after a few minutes and not removing the key.
Carl
I wouldn't call it "normal" behavior by any means...

I've tried removing the key, changing keys to use the spare, etc. Also tried using the key fob to lock and unlock the doors before reinserting the key... No joy.

Glad the problem seems to resolve itself that way for you.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl & Shelly View Post
Hi Mark,
My 2018 Wayfarer does this all the time, Salem dealer said it is normal,
in my case if I remove the key and then reinsert the key, it will crank right up,
Should I decide not to remove the key it can take 10 minutes or so for it to crank, never cold or first start up only after it has been running, shut off and go to restart after a few minutes and not removing the key.
It is certainly not normal and the vehicle should crank every time the key is turned, period, and it is laughable for a dealer to claim otherwise. As mentioned Sprinter no-crank problems can be very intermittent, leading one to all sorts of seemingly-effective remedies but there really is no relationship to when you insert the key, how long you wait after turning the ignition on before you attempt the start, rubbing your tummy and patting your head, etc. All you are seeing is an intermittent problem that may stay that way for a long time, or get worse. In any event there is a problem that needs to be fixed and if you are under warranty then you should insist that the dealer fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMaxPayne View Post
Same problem with a brand new 2018 Tiffin Wayfarer that I picked up this spring. Has happened to me 4 times now; all while on trips. Every time has been after a drive, twice after refueling while sitting at a gas station and once after checking in to an RV park. Very frustrating as you sit there blocking others for 10-15 minutes. When I talked with Tiffin they acknowledged they've only seen it with one chassis while trying to move it during assembly; and it was never repeatable.

I shared a write-up and a couple of YouTube video links with the head of Mercedes-Benz service here at home. He just scratched his head and said "this will be a hard one."

Has been sitting at the Sprinter dealership here in PDX for a month now. According to my security cameras, they haven't even looked at it yet; simply moved where it is parked. Had I known that, I would have canceled my storage contract and saved a monthly fee.

The problem I've seen is when somebody has this problem and gets it fixed, there are not really any follow up posts as to what the diagnosis was nor the fix. What I have seen is random attempts at fixing by replacing either the ground connection to the engine, the starter, the key sensor, park sensor, computer. Because there is not a diagnosis, the fixes look like guesses.
Intermittent problems can be difficult indeed. As above the first step in a no-crank problem is to find out whether the solenoid is being powered as that will direct you where to look (IOW there is no point in replacing the starter if the solenoid is not seeing power, and no point in replacing sensors or the ECM if it is, etc.) When failures are only occasional and unpredictable it can be tough to monitor the solenoid terminal, what is sometimes required is to run a wire from the solenoid terminal up into the cabin and attach to a voltmeter so you can catch the problem when it occurs. If you simply take an impossible-to-duplicate issue to a service center they will inevitably end up guessing/shotgunning the problem, which usually is both expensive and ineffective.

It's really not a difficult problem to troubleshoot once you get things narrowed down, but getting to that point can be frustrating. In any event don't ignore it as eventually the problem won't be intermittent (if you get my drift), and it will probably happen in the worst possible place.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:19 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=smiller;4571190]It is certainly not normal and the vehicle should crank every time the key is turned, period, and it is laughable for a dealer to claim otherwise. As mentioned Sprinter no-crank problems can be very intermittent, leading one to all sorts of seemingly-effective remedies but there really is no relationship to when you insert the key, how long you wait after turning the ignition on before you attempt the start, rubbing your tummy and patting your head, etc. All you are seeing is an intermittent problem that may stay that way for a long time, or get worse. In any event there is a problem that needs to be fixed and if you are under warranty then you should insist that the dealer fix it

The Salem dealer explained it was the function of the anti theft system, and took the time to show another van on the lot doing the same thing, at that point I really didn't have much to come back with.
Again at least in my no crank case I can get it to crank with a small hassle,
saying that it may be an area in which to look at.
After working for auto dealers for 30 plus years in the service dept. I have learned that a face to face meeting with the area rep goes a long way, and having a video will go a long ways , In Oregon we have lemon laws that will protect us and the dealers really don't like to go that route.
Best of luck Mark!
Carl
Magna #6225
42 Resort 505
Carl & Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #18

Starting issue

My MB service person, just told me today that the Radio could be the issue. Coachman told them that one radio installed was causing the same starter issue I have had. Coachman has a bulletin out about how to fix this issue. Something to do with a the power (2 red) wires and their connections.
dlong43112 is offline   Reply With Quote